• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-8xx oil draining info

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Any skid based MEP-8xx makes it difficult to do a oil drain. You can pick up a pipe to hose connector to temporally use to drain your oil.
oil drain pipe to hose for skid based.jpg

For trailer mounted MEP-8xx gensets, part of the BII
pipe to hose fitting should have been installed.
oil drain pipe to hose for trailer.jpgoil drain pipe to hose for trailer 1.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Any generator on a trailer should have the elbow and hose installed. It makes the oil change clean and painless.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the size of this elbow, or what thread dimension should I be looking for? Gravity drain without control sucks. Thanks!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I believe its 3/4"

NSN 4730-00-940-0947 part# MS24519-7 ELBOW,PIPE TO HOSE

You just need a 3/4" pipe to hose barb elbow. The hose is listed being 18 inches. I just installed a 3 ft piece and then cut it to where I wanted. So, the length would drop right into a 5 gal bucket.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I believe its 3/4"

NSN 4730-00-940-0947 part# MS24519-7 ELBOW,PIPE TO HOSE

You just need a 3/4" pipe to hose barb elbow. The hose is listed being 18 inches. I just installed a 3 ft piece and then cut it to where I wanted. So, the length would drop right into a 5 gal bucket.
I looked that up on another site, and came up with this

Nominal Inside Diameter Hose Accommodated (CWDW):
0.375 inches 2nd end
Nominal Pipe Size Accommodated (AAAR):
0.250 inches 1st end
Nominal Thread Size (CQJX):
0.250 inches 1st end

Which a 3/8 NPT would have an OD of about .675 (3/8 ID). I bought two straight adapters at NAPA on my way home earlier... gonna try out the 3/8 and see if she works (and will report back).

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The trailer power units package came with a pipe to hose elbow for the purpose of draining oil. A generator skid can use this method too. Just a staright 3/4 pipe to hose barb piece works good to not have oil dribling along the side.

jimbo913

I have seen everything from 3/8”NPT, 1/2”NPT and 3/4”NPT listed in this thread. Is anyone positive of the thread size at the outside genset housing so we can close this properly?

Ray70

LITD is correct that the fitting on the outer gen enclosure is 1/2" NPT.
The confusion might be due to a couple factors, the holes in the engine itself are 3/8" NPT threads and the 002/003 series machines are 3/4" NPT threads.
Now, to add to the confusion... EVERY trailer mounted 802 and 803 I have ever received with an ( always unused ) right angle fitting and extension hose in the tool box has been a 3/4" NPT thread. So it seems that somewhere along the line the military forgot that the oil drain thread went from 3/4" to 1/2" when they went from the 002/003 to 802/803.

jimbo913

LITD is correct that the fitting on the outer gen enclosure is 1/2" NPT.
The confusion might be due to a couple factors, the holes in the engine itself are 3/8" NPT threads and the 002/003 series machines are 3/4" NPT threads.
Now, to add to the confusion... EVERY trailer mounted 802 and 803 I have ever received with an ( always unused ) right angle fitting and extension hose in the tool box has been a 3/4" NPT thread. So it seems that somewhere along the line the military forgot that the oil drain thread went from 3/4" to 1/2" when they went from the 002/003 to 802/803.
Great point. I think my 803 had that hose in the trailer box and I recall it being very large and never using it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks