• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAN KAT US owners?

Guyfang

Staff member
Guy I have all the texts downloaded and they're stored on my desk top. I think I need to start looking for someone to translate these manuals into English. Should I copy them on a disc and have them translated by a reliable party, and then printed in English for the mechanics? Then I can down load them off the disc and onto the Steel Soldiers TM section. Your thoughts! Brother Ahab keep that popcorn popping we aint crossed the finish line yet.

You may need to rob a bank to pay for translation of those books. Translating is hard work. And when its technical, it's times 3 hard. I might start with just the chapters you need. First find out what it costs. Then think about what you want to do. Over the years, people over here always wanted me to translate German to English. My wife and I tried to do it a few times. I would rather pick Cotten. There are so many words in both languages that simply do not exist in the other, you can go crazy. When I went to trade school here, I tried to translate everything. I used three dictionary's, and two technical, (electro technical) dictionary's. Didn't take long, and I tossed them all away, and learned it all in German. I haven't the slightest idea what some things are in English.

I know and use several people who do this for their profession. They ain't cheap. I know several who do it under the table. On weekends and at nights. Semi formal. No taxes paid. They ain't cheap. So look around first.

The parts TM, when I get it broken into two parts, will be the easy stuff. All you need to translate are page headings and such. Maybe a few other things. I will take a look at it. I have never used a German army TM before, so should be interesting. Chris and I will try to translate things for you.

Another Ahab

I think I need to start looking for someone to translate these manuals into English.
You may need to rob a bank to pay for translation of those books. Translating is hard work. And when its technical, it's times 3 hard.

Yeah, that might want a Plan B from you, Mr. Tracer.

Translating the Bible from Hebrew to Greek needed 72 translators, and the TM here sounds like it might have some Scriptural dimensions.

God only knows how long it took those 72 (but if you're on good terms and ask, He might share).

PS - If you decide to use those 72 translators (they might know German), don't hire them on a Saturday, that's time-and-half (it's the Sabbath), it might get pricey.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just Had A Brain fart. Asked someone in TACOM if the army bought English TM's for the trucks. He asked me for the NSN of the truck. There should be a data plat with a NSN on it someplace.

Migginsbros

Seems like only the M1001, M1002, M1013, M1014 delivered to the USA. So for sure there are TMs in englisch. But this is a later generation of the MAN. Different engines, trany, cabin...... We own exactly the same truck as yours, built only 150 pieces earlier in 1977 Ask for specific details and we will try to translate.

Last edited:

Migginsbros

Just found the TM 9-2320-282-20 for the army bought trucks. Are maybe at least the controls and things the same?
Guy, thats the TM for the M1001, M1002, M1013, M1014 , isn`t it? If you can upload it it would be great. The are not so much same things but it would be a big help to understand parts and funktions together with the german TDv /TM of the 5 to 10 ton MAN Kat I.:jumpin:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw the picture you made of the data plate, with NSN, but can not make out the last three numbers.
Guy I tried to get the last 3 numbers on the data plate pics on post 31 & 36, and just couldn't get a positive ID. I'll call them Monday morning and Matt should be able to run out to the yard and make a quick NSN check.

Migginsbros

Tracer, where did you purchase this 1977 MAN? I think this one find his way over the bridge in private hands.
It´s a great project for you and your friends, think there are only handfull of this 461 typ in the USA. Ask us about detailed pics or informations, we have only a few steps to go out to our truck.

Guyfang

Staff member
Progress report.

1. Got no place in cracking the parts manual in half. So I asked my rocket scientist son to tackle the job. He will be home next Friday, we shall see.

2. Found the TM 9-2320-282-10 for the M1001, M1002, 1013 and M1014 trucks. This appears to be the only version of the truck sold to the Army. It is a 10 Ton tractor variant for the Truck series. Both Chris, (Miggensbrothers) and I think that many of the sub systems, as well as the controls and cab, should be the same. Or very similar, so you should be able to read up on stuff to understand your truck. But, its got some Google crap added to the front of it, and I want to delete it. Well, that more or less like cracking the parts TM. So I gave it to my son to "handle".

3. Asked a TACOM Minion, (good friend) for some help on the Army TM's for the Tractor. He told me he wold ask around on Tuesday.

4. Found a German company that is supposed to sell the original German Army TM's for the "covered wagon" model that Tracer has. I am going to try and ask them for more info. If they are selling manuals that are out dated, well, I say only use the most updated you can get. But if I can get some info from them, cant hurt.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer, where did you purchase this 1977 MAN? I think this one find his way over the bridge in private hands.
It´s a great project for you and your friends, think there are only handfull of this 461 typ in the USA. Ask us about detailed pics or informations, we have only a few steps to go out to our truck.
Chris, this truck was purchased by a friend of mine from GP (Govt. Planet) at the Army Base in Reno NV, about 3 years ago. We don't have any knowledge of this trucks history prior to the GP purchase. I'm hoping that when she finished her service with the Army, the Army just parked her and shut her down. I don't see any thing that looks like major damage, no large oil leaks, no con rod holes in the engine block. There is a little GP fork lift damage but nothing major. Also, thank you for your offer of pics and other info. It's nice to have a running truck for reference.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called Alex yesterday and spoke with his Secratery (daughter) Shawnna. She said Alex was going to be out of town till next Monday the 24th. I am assuming that Alex is out on a GP pick up.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress report.

1. Got no place in cracking the parts manual in half. So I asked my rocket scientist son to tackle the job. He will be home next Friday, we shall see.

2. Found the TM 9-2320-282-10 for the M1001, M1002, 1013 and M1014 trucks. This appears to be the only version of the truck sold to the Army. It is a 10 Ton tractor variant for the Truck series. Both Chris, (Miggensbrothers) and I think that many of the sub systems, as well as the controls and cab, should be the same. Or very similar, so you should be able to read up on stuff to understand your truck. But, its got some Google crap added to the front of it, and I want to delete it. Well, that more or less like cracking the parts TM. So I gave it to my son to "handle".

3. Asked a TACOM Minion, (good friend) for some help on the Army TM's for the Tractor. He told me he wold ask around on Tuesday.

4. Found a German company that is supposed to sell the original German Army TM's for the "covered wagon" model that Tracer has. I am going to try and ask them for more info. If they are selling manuals that are out dated, well, I say only use the most updated you can get. But if I can get some info from them, cant hurt.
https://www.asta-usa.com/translation-services/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl6LoBRDqARIsABllMSbAMYa1smbESPcos8c5jvSsU3Jun5M-RhlsnKuv62lerde56PKKiykaAo7iEALw_wcB
Chris & Guy, I stumbled across the above translation service here in the states, and they translate technical manuals in something like 71 languages. They say they are easy to work with, and they are affordable. SEE BELOW POST #63.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Sounds good.

Chris, do you know anyone who works at MAN? Someone we might ask if MAN ever translated these books into English? Might be worth a shot. If they haven't, the Tracer might try this company. Or has anyone even asked that question before?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one email that "that there was a new post", then to find out that there were FOUR new pages with posts. So some remarks.

Large files: try wetransfer.com. They do really large files, no problem, I used them several times for project reports with lots of images and files for printers. Or send them to me using wetransfer or through our website and I will try using Adobe Acrobat to cut them in manageable pieces.

Parts: I once started a thread about oldies selling oldies. Basically, there is a shop in the Netherlands who bought up Dutch and German military surplus stuff for the last 40-odd years. They strip them or repair them, and sell trucks to Africa and parts all over the world. The company you are looking for is Commerce-Trucks in Nieuwediep, in the province of Groningen, the Northeast part of the Netherlands. The owner died last year, his now almost 90 year old older brother (who sells the deuces and 5-tons), is still going strong.

Translating from German to English. Much easier than from English to German. Our projects are ending this month, and I will have some free time, so if you don't expect the entire TM within one week, maybe we can make a deal, send me a PM.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks