• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAN KAT US owners?

Reed423

Yes, lowered cab, valve 3 in direktion down. Fill to the lower edge of the filler hole 2. Means nearly full.

View attachment 889081
View attachment 889082

These pics are from the owners manual of a MAN F2000 but the function is the same.
thank you. Do you know where I can find a list of the correct fluids/ oil/hydraulic etc and quantities for this truck? Also, need new gaskets for wheel hubs and filter types?there is an appendix at the end of one of the TMs posted here that has a huge list of various fluids but can’t really tell which goes where or quantities.
I am super excited about owning one of these trucks. I plan on posting photos of the restoration process as well.

Migginsbros

Our 1977 Kat1 is powered by a Deutz V8 aircooled engine. Our 1996 MAN F2000 is powered by a straigt 6 liquid cooled engine. Yours is powered by a V10 liquid cooled engine, so I have no Data sheed. Perhaps you find out an engine number or/typ ( like D28 40 V10 turbo) I will check if these engines are used in other trucks. Perhaps we find out some specs this way. (y)

Last edited:

Reed423

Our 1977 Kat1 is powered by a Deutz V8 aircooled engine. Our 1996 MAN F2000 is powered by a straigt 6 liquid cooled engine. Yours is powered by a V10 liquid cooled engine, so I have no Data sheed. Perhaps you find out an engine number or/typ ( like D28 40 V10 turbo) I will check if these engines are used in other trucks. Perhaps we find out some specs this way. (y)

The engine is a MAN D2840, 365HP, 18.72 displacement. The hydraulic lines connected to the cab over lift cylinder are damaged, so I pulled the bango bolts out and made new hydraulic hoses with new fittings to connect it to a stand alone 12 volt lift pump. I plan on lifting the cab up tomorrow to get a better look at the engine. some of the steel fittings on the back side of the cab are just melted from rust corrosion. My plan of approach is to replace all hoses and damaged fitting that I can see anywhere. Step two will be flush out all the fluids and replace with brand new, all filters will be replaced as well. i will be upgrading the size of the fuel filter and water separator from stock. I plan on using some big Caterpillar diesel filters. Do you know what type of oil filters go on this engine? I am making new master cylinders out of 22oz gravity hvlp paint sprayer cups. Even reusing the old top collars and sensors from the original. I called a few authorized MAN service centers here in the US to today and was flat out rejected at both. They only work on MAN marine diesels, not truck engines. Couldn’t even get an oil filter or any shred of information. They were both very rude. Looks like I’m going to have to ”go it alone” on this one. Plan a trip to Germany and pickup any and all parts I need there.

Attachments

Migginsbros

I have some no. But want to double check with the real engine no. :)

Aircleaner Mann/Hummel C301353 :coffee: KS/Pierburg 50013400
SecundaryAir C17170 :coffee: KS/Pierburg 50014095
Oilfilter HU947/2X :coffee: KS/Pierburg 50013575
Fuelfilters WDK725 :coffee: KS/Pierburg 50013297
Powersteering Filter H601/4 :coffee: KS/Pierburg 50013044
Airdryer TB1374/13 :coffee: ???????

:cool:;)

Last edited:

Reed423

Reed make a list what you need. I will look for numbers. Need a better Pic of the Data plate, need numbers of Engine , frame, year of manufacturing. :)
was feeling a little under the weather today, so I didn’t make it out to the 8x8. I did translate the transcribe the data plate that I got a photo of, here are the results.

MAN KAT 8x8 Engine
—————————————

Engine Family: D2840 M
Model: D2840 MFG
Displacement: 18.27 Litres
Fuel Injection
Advertised Power:365 at 2300 rpm alt comp clos.crankc.vent
Fuel Rate at Advertised HP: 108.5 mm*3/stroke
Valve Lash:Intake- 010 In Exhaust: 014 in(cold)
Initial Injektion Timing:20-22 BTDC
Idle Speed: 500-100 rpm
Model year: 1982

_———————————

I sure hope there is a way to speed this truck up. This road speed chart/shifting regiment seems like a pain in the ass, to go slow. I hear the whisper of bigger turbo, fuel filters, intercooler.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
was feeling a little under the weather today, so I didn’t make it out to the 8x8. I did translate the transcribe the data plate that I got a photo of, here are the results.

MAN KAT 8x8 Engine
—————————————

Engine Family: D2840 M
Model: D2840 MFG
Displacement: 18.27 Litres
Fuel Injection
Advertised Power:365 at 2300 rpm alt comp clos.crankc.vent
Fuel Rate at Advertised HP: 108.5 mm*3/stroke
Valve Lash:Intake- 010 In Exhaust: 014 in(cold)
Initial Injektion Timing:20-22 BTDC
Idle Speed: 500-100 rpm
Model year: 1982

_———————————

I sure hope there is a way to speed this truck up. This road speed chart/shifting regiment seems like a pain in the ass, to go slow. I hear the whisper of bigger turbo, fuel filters, intercooler.
That road speed isn't half bad compared to a Deuce for example.
Remember, when you finally get her up and running it will never be a speed queen.
BUT, you will have a big ol buggy to ride when it is done.

:cool:

Last edited:

Migginsbros

Reed, for the D2840 MFG engine we found following # from KS Kolbenschmidt Pierburg
Oilfilter 50013024, Fuelfilter 50013021, Aircleaner 50013037, Air Dryer 50013305

Cross reference to MANN/HUMMEL

Oilfilter H12110/3, Fuelfilter P811x, Aircleaner C301537 or C30850/2, Airdryer TB1374/13x

If you search in the WWW. you will find perhaps some with specifications, Diameter, Height,....

(y)

Reed423

Thank you Miggins! Now for another question, how the heck do you Jack each the A arm so the wheel so they can be changed? Manual specifies 8 ton. Tried a 8 ton and 20 ton bottle Jack up on blocks. But the travel is something like 7” or 10”s respectfully. That wasn’t even enough to raise the tire high enough to clear one side wall. Wouldn’t even work for the flat tire, much less a tire full of air. What are they using on Hemtts? I have a mobile welding trailer with a miller Airpak screw compressor. Maybe a portable air powered air/hydraulic Jack?

Reed423

Well I was able to get the first blown out wheel jacked up and removed from the 8x8. Now I just have to take the locking ring off, which looks easy in the manual but is proving to be more difficult in person. The wheel is pretty rusty. Another problem I ran into yesterday is a clerk at my local tag office here in Georgia, denied my title transfer. I have a Texas title for the truck in hand, she didn’t even know what the vehicle looked like or the Man truck company. She had me email her a couple of photos of the truck and then told me that Georgia wouldn’t honor the Texas title and it wouldn’t be allowed on road Because it probably couldn’t pass minimum safety standards. Which is true in its current condition. This was a serious bummer, but their decision seemed kind of random, since they just had a quick discussion around the corner then said no. I should have emailed her a photo of an lmtv or something. The truck was built in 1983. Anybody have any suggestions? I did say that I was restoring it and that it was going to be quite some time before I would ever need to drive it on the road. If anybody can advise me on what would be best to do, I would be great full.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well I was able to get the first blown out wheel jacked up and removed from the 8x8. Now I just have to take the locking ring off, which looks easy in the manual but is proving to be more difficult in person. The wheel is pretty rusty. Another problem I ran into yesterday is a clerk at my local tag office here in Georgia, denied my title transfer. I have a Texas title for the truck in hand, she didn’t even know what the vehicle looked like or the Man truck company. She had me email her a couple of photos of the truck and then told me that Georgia wouldn’t honor the Texas title and it wouldn’t be allowed on road Because it probably couldn’t pass minimum safety standards. Which is true in its current condition. This was a serious bummer, but their decision seemed kind of random, since they just had a quick discussion around the corner then said no. I should have emailed her a photo of an lmtv or something. The truck was built in 1983. Anybody have any suggestions? I did say that I was restoring it and that it was going to be quite some time before I would ever need to drive it on the road. If anybody can advise me on what would be best to do, I would be great full.
I would suggest that NO is always the first answer to any question of a guberment employee. There should be another tag office to try. You might do well to say nothing. The less you say, the less chance they have of making a mistake. Just hand your Texas title to the clerk and say you just moved to Georgia. AND BE QUIET. Wait for them to have a reason or problem and don't offer pictures...

Another Ahab

She had me email her a couple of photos of the truck and then told me that Georgia wouldn’t honor the Texas title and it wouldn’t be allowed on road Because it probably couldn’t pass minimum safety standards.
She said "probably". The word probably is not definitive, and nothing conclusive.

The issue, by her own vacabulary, remains open.

It's no fun, sure, but if you are deliberate and methodical; your chances to succeed in your goal increase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks