• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got offered a WC-1 Truck

todds112

So I sold my M923A2 and was thinking I was out of the OD green thing for a while. Even went and bought a new side by side ATV.

Then a friend offered me a Dodge Power Wagon pick-up truck. I thought it was a civi model which is pretty cool. It's a project, but ran when parked 2 years ago...you know how that goes! California truck that is very solid, but with layers and layers of cruddy paint on it. Quite a few spare parts.

After I got photos of it I started looking closer and closed and discovered it's a WC-1. Can still see some OD green paint on it in places. The Data plate says it's a WC-1-USA. And shows it was issued to the National Guard.

I just wanted a project truck to tinker around with and get running. I was going to do the "patina" thing and just sand off the flaking nasty paint and update the interior. Now I'm worried it's more than I should take on. I don't want to ruin a very rare truck. I'ld love to see it taken back to it's military issue condition, but the biggest issues would be $$ and skills, in that order.

I need some good resources for research. Any recommended web-sites, parts vendors, etc. Would be great. Are the TM's available like the newer trucks? This is all happened really fast and I haven't had any time to do some really quick research.

What do you guys think?

I'll post pics later once things get more finalized.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion is that those 41's are easy to restore if you are starting with something decent, sounds like you are. Disassemble to the rolling chassis, sandblast everything, paint, go through the engine, axles and gear cases (oil seals everywhere), new wiring and cab rubber/upholstery, new tires (stay with 7.50's), bed wood, and you're done.

todds112

My opinion is that those 41's are easy to restore if you are starting with something decent, sounds like you are. Disassemble to the rolling chassis, sandblast everything, paint, go through the engine, axles and gear cases (oil seals everywhere), new wiring and cab rubber/upholstery, new tires (stay with 7.50's), bed wood, and you're done.
Sounds easy when you say it like that! I know it'll be easier than a classic car with complicated interiors and glossy paint and all. Should be an adventure!

Any of the reproduction manuals and better than the others?

FrankUSMC

two things
First, I had two WC1s in the past and mine also were National Guard trucks. second, for parts I would go with John at Midwestmilitary. The last time I ordered parts for one of my Dodge WC trucks from Vintage Power wagon, they sent me very cheap parts that all were returned. I have never returned anything to Midwest Military.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks