• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to wire up a RAK15 ration heater?

B3.3T

Looking to wire up a RAK15 ration heater from scratch. Draws 24vdc 15 amps. 10 gauge directly from the batteries with 20 amp. inline fuse?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have mine on a 50A Anderson plug with a 50-175A adapter to plug it into the Pt compartment of the ambulance. I need to add 50A pugs to the other trucks.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to my aircraft spec sheet (24-28VDC) 12 or 14 gauge should be just fine. The stock military cord for it is 14/2 (2 ea 24 ga wire).

Mine is hooked up with the stock military plug (3 prong female 12-14 gauge) and it works great.

Get the manual (it's online) and it will show you everything you need to know.

They are actually very well built simple little heaters.

I need to get one more.....

B3.3T

Thanks, guys. There were a ton of the newer 471012 models at Findlay, new in the box with manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The newer ones (RAK-30) are 30 Amp units, I believe. That's more than my little truck can generate.

If you find a bunch of RAK-15's, I would sure appreciate knowing about it.

jpg

I bought the connectors on line. The wire at Home Depot. I used outdoor rated wire, of the max gauge called for by the connector spec.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg
Mine is the 15A model. It cooks well, using Sous-vide recipies.

Last edited:

jpg

Thanks, that thing has been elusive to me.
Any time. FYI, I found it by reading the M1010 TMs. I got the part number for the female socket from there, looked the manufacturer up on line, and on their web site I found the compatible male. Once I had the part identified, I went shopping and found Amazon had the best price at the time.

For parts that are still in production, the TMs and Google are your friends. For parts out of production, I've found what I needed on SS & Flea Bay.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The older field surgical light and other old school medical equipment use/ used that plug.
surgl1.jpg surgl2.jpe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to look backwards from the number on the socket and failed. Dang, shoulda had a V8/TM.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just FYI, the plug on the heater end of the chord is the same as that used for the M35/M813/M-etc. turn signal flasher.

Cheers

jpg

Just FYI, the plug on the heater end of the chord is the same as that used for the M35/M813/M-etc. turn signal flasher.

Cheers

And here is a current commercial source for the heater end:
24v3pin.jpg
http://www.newark.com/amphenol-industrial/ms3106f16-10s/circular-connector-plug-size-16/dp/85C4054
newark.com Got a question? Give us a call. (800) 463-9275.
Stock No:Manufacturer Part No:UOM:Quantity:Price:Extended Price:
85C4054MS3106F16-10SEach 11$21.81$21.81
Description: CIRCULAR CONNECTOR PLUG, SIZE 16, 3 POSITION, CABLE; Military Specification:MIL-DTL-5015 Series; Circular Connector Shell Style:Straight Plug; No. of Contacts:3; Circular Contact Type:Solder Socket; Coupling Style:Threaded

Last edited:

AttackMule

I contacted Bibby Scientific, who owns the company that made the heaters (Electrothermal). They put me in touch with folks at Cole-Parmer. They provide support for the product here in US. There are dozens of these things available in military supply system but no complete cables--so i am going to modify one.

The RAK-15 info shows unit plug is Amphenol MS3102R-16-10P (pin A is 24VDC, pin B is 0 volts and C is not connected) and two socket part numbers. One is a straight socket (MS3106R-16-10S) as listed by jpg the other is a 90 (MS3108R-16-10S). I ordered the 90 for $50. Also, the lit says to use cable clamp bushing MS3057-8A on sockets. I will post an update and picture.

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JPG is correct about current availability. These are very common plugs and easily available from many different sources.

My preferred source is American Component Supply [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]in Greenville, SC.

I use a 90 degree plug on my unit because it is mounted in the bed on the side of my truck.
[/FONT]

Rusty Loads

Dragging up the dead thread here... I looked at RAK manuals online and could not find which of the 3 pins carry the 24V and or ground. Per notes above the hot wire is "A" and...The 0 value pin you mention above (B) I am assuming that means ground? Thanks for any help on these-I may just call Cole-Parmer in Canada. I have a RAK-15/4 coming from OZ which has the boil feature which I think would be handy. Thanks for any help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks