• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Mutt V Ranger Mutt

mlongwill

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the USMC FAV and the Ranger or Airbourne FAV. From what I've researched there doesn't seem to be a lot of uniformity of these vehicles. It seems like the operators decided how to equip each truck. That's making it a little hard for me to tell the two apart. Any info would be great!
Thanks

Post edit: The only thing I can think of is the passenger 45 degree M60 mount.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

The ones that I got close to were Marine ones. Every thing on them was home made, no big money to contractors to make the parts. The roll cage is made of steel plumping pipe, with 90 degree elbows at the corners, the pipe was not bent like on a roll bar. The dash mount was the top 8? inches of a pedestal machine gun mount that has been cut off and welded to a steel plate, then bolted to the dash. The two I saw were parked next to each other, and were built deferent from each other as far as the mounting of guns and ammo.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to have oneverything of the delta or airborne ones. Very different from the usmc ones. Will post pics tmw.

B3.3T

Here is an airborne model that was at the MVPA Convention in Portland, 2008. It was from Ft. Lewis. Very nicely done with most of the same mods done on the Ranger versions.

Attachments

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK been a while since I laid all this out. I have the 2nd variation of the USMC FAV (restored) - Kit removed from demilled Ranger FAV (unrestored) - Some of the parts from a US Army Delta/Special Forces version (unrestored ). The two latter "parts kits" will be installed on Jeeps in the next few years.

USMC FAVs 3 variations

Variation #1 - Tube is all screwed together water pipe with water pipe fittings. I am sure the first rollover popped the threads like a piece of spaghetti. All indications are they were shop made in Barstow

sfor-fav[1].jpg

Variation #2 - Same basic lines and placement but all welded pipe. Many little differences and refinements. All indications are they were shop made in Barstow

CIMG3310.jpg

Variation #3 - More complete roll bar assy with HMMWV Turret ring. All indications are they were shop made in Barstow. There is an article floating around from Leatherneck magazine or??? How one of the soldiers invented this with spare parts or some such thing.

FAV Ring Mount.jpg

US ARMY Delta or Special forces 1 basic variation

mpool002-311x227.jpg

US Army Fort Lewis Ranger 1 variation

My understanding talking to the guy I bought my "kit" from was, these were from the US Army Rangers stationed at Ft Lewis. The only one I know of "completed" is the one at the 2008 MVPA convention in Portland. I do belive the restored M151A2 has items that were not on the original. Like the bridge plate, USMC bumper, and maybe the size of the rear stowage baskets. I purchased the "kit" I have at the 2013 convention in Portland.
This was NOT shop made and was definitely made by a certified welder. Not just cobbled together from extra parts.

P1010063_jpg.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks