• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Aussie goat rescued

combat32

Do you have Lucas or some similar product down under? A quart in your t-case will keep the pump from losing prime.

Why are there no roos in that video?:mrgreen:

Last edited:

Aussiecowboy

We do have Lucas and there is a bottle of it in the transfer case. I have pulled the pump off and it's fine internally but I noticed the suction line going to the bottom of the transfer is quite wobbly despite the nut being tight. I'm thinking possibly the olive on the copper has been poorly installed allowing the pump to pull air past it. I'll swap the line out for the one off the old transfer case and see what happens, unfortunately I need to suck all the oil out of the case to do that.

There were here plenty of Roos around that day but I don't think they appreciate the sweet music that is the song of the Detroit.

I really need to find a way of confirming oil flow without taking the dog house out of the cab.

Aussiecowboy

A productive day, I pulled the oil line from the old transfer and found it had a tapered aluminium fitting on the copper line, rather than the round brass one on the new case, I installed it on the new case and the fit was much better.

On on a whim I decided to extend the transparent part of the oil line and ran it up the handbrake handle, safely tied away from all moving parts, I used proper oil resistant automotive tubing. Seems to work ok, I can now see oil flow from the drivers seat at all times.

An interesting side note, the oil flow decreases at higher transfer case speeds, I suspect the spring in the pump is too weak and the plunger is floating, I might experiment a little with a stronger spring.

Attachments

Aussiecowboy

Grrr, this goat will be the death of me. Got in to take it for a drive and transfer pump has lost prime again, 2-3 mins in 4th gear and neutral intransfer didn't bring it back, what a terrible design it is.

Aussiecowboy

The bore looks ok and the original spring looked ok too so I used it. I think I'll install the pump from the old transfer, I put a much bigger and stronger spring in that one, it was working well but too late to save the bearings.

Aussiecowboy

So I pulled the pump off again and sat it side by side with the pump from the old transfer case, identical in design and condition, when the plungers were operated by hand, both pumps worked well and developed good suction at the intake, no discernible differences at all. And yet, when I installed the old pump on the transfer case and tested it, the oil flow was instant and strong. I hate to admit this with any machine, but I have no idea what's going on, can't complain though as my goat is driveable once again.

The loop of tubing on the handbrake bracket has paid for itself, I probably would have driven a hundred miles or so before I bothered to pull the dog house to check things out, possibly too late to save the new transfer......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks