• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat Project

prodro1

Well, I ran into my first problem. I was taking apart the shift tower to clean it and hopefully get it to the sand blaster. It started off easy, but the farther along I got, the more stubborn it became. I am probably going to have to find a replacement or see if I can find a machine shop to fabricate some parts for me. 20160603_170033.jpg20160603_170133.jpg20160603_170150.jpg20160603_170304.jpg20160603_170859.jpg20160603_172659.jpg20160603_172729.jpg20160603_184738.jpg20160603_183335.jpg20160603_183247.jpg20160603_172748.jpg20160603_184911.jpg20160603_220142.jpg20160603_220031.jpg20160603_215618.jpg20160603_212740.jpg20160603_212732.jpg20160603_192741.jpg20160603_220244.jpg

m38inmaine

Before I spent more time or money on the transmission I would evaluate the condition of the rest of the drive train. Drain each and check for water and look inside the best you can for rust. Check the engine to see if it is free and if coolant is in the oil. Pull the inspection plug on the brake drums and check for rust/water or brake fluid. You may find it's worth fixing to become a runner or may be a parts donor for the next one. As you can see in my post I have battled with every system in mine, not one thing turned out to be 100% and needed repair. If you decide to rebuild it I would find another transmission, they are not hard to find.

BillIdaho

Are NOS (or used, in excellent condition) transfer cases around? That might be the biggest problem. The transmission is GM, parts virtually anywhere. The engine internals are relatively speaking-pretty easy to find. Even brake parts can be found. Wiring harnesses can be repaired, and gauges are standard M-series stuff.
It's that darn transfer case. There ain't a transmission place in the US (such as AAMCO, etc) that will work on one---no internal parts are available.

combat32

Red River has rebuilt transfer cases.

Agree with Mark, transmissions are out there, that's the other thing about goats, parts are out there but you gotta dig to find them.

You might call Red River on a transmission, he might have one.

Last edited:

prodro1

The transfer case is ok. I'm HOPING the transmission will clean up nicely. I just need to find the parts for the shift tower. I haven't found anywhere on the Web that has them or the parts.

m38inmaine

There is a used one on ebay for sale item 172217259874, but as I look at it there are two in the picture, you want the one on the left, might ask him first which is for sale. It's a buy it now so I don't believe I am breaking any rules posting the item number, if I am moderators please delete it.

Last edited:

BillIdaho

I am relatively certain Goat transmissions are/were standard GM 4 speeds. Any junk yard with older (60-70's) cars/pickups should have a gaggle of them. Transmission internals are the same as a civilian counterpart, provided you have the same model of transmission.

prodro1

Before I spent more time or money on the transmission I would evaluate the condition of the rest of the drive train. Drain each and check for water and look inside the best you can for rust. Check the engine to see if it is free and if coolant is in the oil. Pull the inspection plug on the brake drums and check for rust/water or brake fluid. You may find it's worth fixing to become a runner or may be a parts donor for the next one. As you can see in my post I have battled with every system in mine, not one thing turned out to be 100% and needed repair. If you decide to rebuild it I would find another transmission, they are not hard to find.
That is a possibility. I'm going to check everything for condition. It been hard to do all of that this past week because of weather. But. I do like the challenge of keeping everything original. I would hate to sacrifice one goat to fix another. Especially when there are already so few around. I mean it is easy to do that and would create alot of parts for people who so desperately need them. But as of right now. I am going to stick with this one. That's the plan as of now. But who knows. If it gets too much of a hassle and the wife make me......then it might go up for sale for parts. Or as a whole...

prodro1

Does anybody know the size of the nut that holds the crankshaft pulley on? I need to buy a socket but dont want to get the wrong one...any help would be much appreciated.

prodro1

Well, I got my engine to turn over. I temp. installed two batteries so I could and did get power. I could turn the bilge on, a few lights would come on. But when I hit the start button i would just get a click, I thought the starter was seized up, or even worse the engine was seized. I turned the crankshaft pulley with a breaker bar and the 1-1/8" socket (thanks m38inmaine). That was such a relief when I got it to turn. I tapped the solenoid and the starter with a mallet but just kept getting a click. I finally got my multimeter out and one of my batteries was pretty much dead. So I got the jumper cables and hooked them up to my truck, waited a minute and hit the start button again and it turned. It actually startled me, I didnt expect it to turn that fast or that strong. So next on the agenda is to try and blow out the fuel lines, get new filters and see if we can get it to fire off.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they fire they start quick. I put a take out motor in mine that had been sitting for a couple of years and barely tapped the starter and she fired 1st crank. They are quick engines to start when working.

m38inmaine

Curious to see what the inside of your fuel filters look like, mine had been sitting for 14 years, it took me two days to clean the fuel tanks.

prodro1

Ill post pics later, but the primary filter (the one with the cloth sock?) was trashed, I had to beat it out of the canister. But the other looked to be in very good shape and still smelt like fresh fuel. What did you use to clean your tanks with?

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I used POR-15 Marine Clean, I removed the tanks and set them on a Coleman stove on the ground to heat the solution and loosen the crud on the bottom of the tank, then roll it around the yard for what seemed hours. It took a total of two days from start to end but worth it. I got rid of all the canister type filters and replaced them with spin on.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks