• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat Project

prodro1

Well...It finally happened. I had some down time yesterday and me and my dad got the transmission back together. It finally moves under her own power. It is such a relief...It is a little hard to go from reverse to first. You have to put quite a bit of pressure on the shifter for it to come out of reverse. I still have to trouble shoot that issue. Also i just have to figure out how to hook up the alternator (someone cut the wire harness that goes to it). Get some new lights (d/s tail light, and d/s front blinker/park light) and a new head light. I still want to put the l.e.d's in it but money is kind of tight at the moment, We have a baby on the way and should be here by the 10th of Jan. so all of my funds are going to that. I will try to post a video of her running soon.

Another Ahab

I still want to put the l.e.d's in it but money is kind of tight at the moment, We have a baby on the way and should be here by the 10th of Jan. so all of my funds are going to that. I will try to post a video of her running soon.
That's terrific news. Best wishes to all, including the soon-to-be baby!

Al Capone

I installed the current guess they are led bright white light headlights . Those suckers are bright . I got all my lights working today . Still need s three way connector for blinker on right rear so two bulbs blink instead of one . Do u have the metal frame work for the soft top for your goat ? I think I have a extra set .

prodro1

1 more issue, I cant seem to get the alternator to start charging. The fire department did a pretty crappy job of installing the aftermarket one, and it seems that someone cut one of the wires on the harness that went to the original.

m38inmaine

Can you post a picture of the back of it? and do you know if it is 24V ? The goat uses a standard 60A 28V alternator but the pulley is special to the goat.

prodro1

I will post a better picture of it tomorrow. It's a 12v alternator as far as I can tell. Don't know much more about it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

Well if it's 12v is the starter 12v as well? stuff we need to know, like if it has been converted to 12v.

Here is the factory set up. You should have two large leads and one small one with a Packard connector. #3 large is your ground, lead #12 is the small wire with Packard connector, lead #2 should be your large positive lead to the alternator.

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

I looked at that truck a while back before prodo bought it, i noticed it had a 12v alternator but cant remember how it was wired up. Fire departments make some hoky mods sometimes.

Jericho

if it has ouTput make sure its connected across the batteries IN SERIES if your running two 12 volt batteries. Charging voltage comes BACK into the batt on the NEGITIVE SIDE. Goat body is aluminum, ENSURE YOU HAVE A GOOD GROUND TO BRING THE CHARGING VOLTAGE BACK ON

prodro1

I haven't had time to do anything lately. My son was born on the 6th, and he has been keeping us pretty busy. I am trying to upload a few pics of my wiring harness to see if any one of you guys have any suggestions..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

Looks like the positive lead going to the alternator, however it would have to be a self exciting one wire alternator to work as wired. Is it making voltage when running? Congrats on the new addition. OK, missed that it is working but no juice to batteries. You will need to trace that alternator cable to where it terminates which should be the terminal board, factory location is under the radiator, from there another cable should run up to the battery positive cable on the drivers side.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I haven't had time to do anything lately. My son was born on the 6th, and he has been keeping us pretty busy. I am trying to upload a few pics of my wiring harness to see if any one of you guys have any suggestions..
That's great. Congratulations!

And now that you got the wiring harness covered with a pic, you got to post a pic of the little man!

And I sure hope Mama is recovering okay; best regards to all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks