• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP adapter bolt size?

firemedic355

I'm waiting on my adapter plates to come in for my aluminum MRAP wheels. Does anyone know what's the proper bolt size to bolt in the adapter plates? I've searched threads, but no luck. It'd be nice to order the bolts in bulk somewhere and save some $$$.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cannot say because I'm at work but have you tried PMing Aaron (Peashooter)? I know it was in his previous for sale thread for his adapter plates but that one may have been deleted.

I does make sense to get the best price you can cause they add up. I will also add that those bolts motivated me to go buy a 3/4 drive impact wrench. from HF. If you are using the locknuts that Aaron recommends, it is quite a workout to run the nuts down to the point of starting to clamp (especially without a soldier B).

TsgtB

When I got mine, he (Peashooter) sent me a list of the required hardware, how much torque to put them on, and even a place he has located that will assemble a bulk package "special Peashooter package" of the hardware. (NY Fastener or something like). They are MUCH cheaper than my local fastener place.
I will say again, I was EXTREMELY pleased with my adapter plates. ( just prep them and paint them and let them cure while you wait for your nut/bolt package).

TsgtB

I used a 3' breaker bar (braced on the ground) on one side, and a torque multiplier on the other to install my adapters, works really well.

firemedic355

Thank you all! Peashooter replied to my PM as well and let me know what sizes I needed.

I'm definitely having to do some shopping around though. Tractor Supply would have needed to order the bolts since I need 60 and would have been around $250 just in grade 8 bolts!!! That's not even including nuts and washers.

I was recommended to call a place called Copper State Bolt and Nut. They're all over Tucson and only want $1.42 per bolt for grade 5 and $1.47 for grade 8. Can't beat that anywhere else I've looked!

TsgtB

Remember, grade 8 may be "stronger", but it's also more "brittle" and would snap, where a grade 5 would "stretch"...
or did i just hear that somewhere...?

peashooter

Remember, grade 8 may be "stronger", but it's also more "brittle" and would snap, where a grade 5 would "stretch"...
or did i just hear that somewhere...?
Right, for this application grade 5 is more than enough. The weakest point of the wheel mounting would be the 6x, grade 8 studs that are 3/4". The adapter plates are held onto the wheel with 10x, 1" bolts! so you might as well go for whatever is cheaper.... which usually will be grade 5 but not always.

mtmopar

I know this is an older thread but I thought this info might help someone down the road.

Wheel Studs ¾” (Ct. 6)
¾” Wheel studs are rated Grade 8
Area of ¾” stud = 0.442in[SUP]2[/SUP]
Surface area of 6 – ¾” studs = 6.652in[SUP]2[/SUP]
Grade 8 Capability in shear = 91,000lbs/in[SUP]2[/SUP]
40,222lbs shear per stud
241,332lbs shear total per wheel

Adapter Plate Bolts 1” (Ct. 10)
Area of 1” bolt = 0.785in2
Surface area of 10 - 1” Bolts = 7.85in[SUP]2[/SUP]
Grade 5 Capability in shear = 75,000lbs/in[SUP]2[/SUP]
Grade 8 Capability in shear = 91,000lbs/in[SUP]2[/SUP]
Grade 5 bolts
58,875lbs shear strength total per bolt
589,750lbs shear strength total per wheel
Grade 8 bolts
74,435lbs shear strength total per bolt
714,350lbs shear strength total per wheel

Grade 5 bolts are roughly 2.44 times stronger than the wheel studs.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
K
Nine posts and not one gives exact nomenclature of needed fasteners.
Like, how important are fasteners
They are everything...

"proper bolt size to bolt in the adapter plates"
I guess We all will keep the secret!?
I just watching
Sometimes it seems like I am Not supposed to find these specifications.

mtmopar

It depends, My friend has the black aluminum MRAP wheels and was able to use 1"x2.5" bolts. I have the tan aluminum MRAP wheels and had to go with 1"x2.75" bolts. I have read that steel MRAPS can use 1"x2.5 as the steel is thinner than aluminum. Hopefully that helps.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
No faults, didn't mean to pry, was questioning decisions about bolt metal grade/thread pitch/length particulars.
I mean where is that exact part number in the TM section P someplace whereas one can get the particulars of the needed fasteners or is this a whatever fits kind of a job.
They just hold the wheels on.
Maybe only our Peashooter knows for sure...................

Last edited:

Jestertac

It would be quite a trick to find it in the repair manuals considering it was never an application for a deuce and a half.

I think everyone has given you all the information they can without having the specifics of your application. Not only do you know grade 5 is sufficient but the grade 8 would of course be even more strength, you know also know the bolts are 1 inch in diameter and they are typically 2.5 inches, or 2.75 inches.

What else do you want to know? I'm afraid I don't have the specifics on the metallurgy involved in the construction of each individual bolt & nut.

I was curious if people used washers on their adapter plates or not. I'm planning on using washers on the lock nut side of the plates if they will fit. I would hate to destroy the beautiful powder coating.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be quite a trick to find it in the repair manuals considering it was never an application for a deuce and a half.

I think everyone has given you all the information they can without having the specifics of your application. Not only do you know grade 5 is sufficient but the grade 8 would of course be even more strength, you know also know the bolts are 1 inch in diameter and they are typically 2.5 inches, or 2.75 inches.

What else do you want to know? I'm afraid I don't have the specifics on the metallurgy involved in the construction of each individual bolt & nut.

I was curious if people used washers on their adapter plates or not. I'm planning on using washers on the lock nut side of the plates if they will fit. I would hate to destroy the beautiful powder coating.
Found an oilfeild bolt supply place, said if you buy by the "keg" of 45 bolts it was half the price of buying just 30-40 bolts. At $4 a pop it adds up quick.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ruben.404

When I got mine, he (Peashooter) sent me a list of the required hardware, how much torque to put them on, and even a place he has located that will assemble a bulk package "special Peashooter package" of the hardware. (NY Fastener or something like). They are MUCH cheaper than my local fastener place.
I will say again, I was EXTREMELY pleased with my adapter plates. ( just prep them and paint them and let them cure while you wait for your nut/bolt package).
Hi! What size bolts did you use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks