• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using my SEE for real work

Pinsandpitons

Not sure this really counts but my FLU did get me to work the other morning. That's a job right? 3500 vertical in 7 miles. Curvy rd with snow and ice. Took about 15 minutes. Averaged around 30 mph. Granted the heavy stuff (FL4 and M35C) stayed home, but the Michelin XLs actually did quite well both with cornering and braking. I was a bit nervous with the ice and snow, but there was very little sliding. A wee bit of understeer in a few corners. I was primarily concerned about a quick 180 given the short wheelbase, but with implements gone most of the weight is up front and the rear end just follows along. I even tried to do some donuts with no success. I'm sure things would change with scoopy things attached.

Last edited:

Pinsandpitons

No, uphil. Most of the steep sections I kept it in the mid twenties. 3rd direct and underdrive except for maybe two places where I had to drop to second to gain some speed back to shift up. I pass a friends house on the way (though he's maybe 1/4 mile up the side of the canyon) and he knew it. It's loud when the pedal is mashed to the floor and turning 2300 rpm. (although i still don't have a tac, which bothers me)

Trying to upload a vid I took.

Last edited:

SeeNebraska

another snow pic. ready for spring so i can try the mog out on some other types of work. I bought it 2 weeks before our first plowable snow of the year and haven't done anything else with it yet.

IMG_20190302_134014348~2.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i may have missed it (doubt it) but you should do a snow blowing video with that set up! That would be pretty cool, just saying
Hey, I'd like to see that thing in action myself, but I'm not about to try walking backwards in front of a driverless snow blower.
Even if I had a video camera.

SeeNebraska

Ooops, time to call in reinforcements...
stuck_mog.jpg

we got several hours of freezing rain first before the big snow so there was really no correcting once the hill grabbed it.

Last edited:

peakbagger

Looks to me like you needed to chain up. I have 4 of the Pewag army surplus chains I need to cut down to fit my tire size. Someone on Ebay stuffs one chain in a priority mail one rate box and saves a bundle on shipping compared to UPS. I get a note from the post office when they arrive as the mail clerks can barely pick up the boxes. Getting stuck is probably why folks really need two mogs ;). Surprised you could not just deploy the backhoe and drag your way out.

SeeNebraska

Looks to me like you needed to chain up. I have 4 of the Pewag army surplus chains I need to cut down to fit my tire size. Someone on Ebay stuffs one chain in a priority mail one rate box and saves a bundle on shipping compared to UPS. I get a note from the post office when they arrive as the mail clerks can barely pick up the boxes. Getting stuck is probably why folks really need two mogs ;). Surprised you could not just deploy the backhoe and drag your way out.

chains are a yes.

i considered using hte backhoe but honestly i'm nervous, it might not be apparent in the picture but its leaning to the side quite a bit and i'm nervous to deploy the weight of the backhoe without tipping it over.... side note, i've never used the backhoe so i'm not skilled with it at this point.

Pinsandpitons

Tilt the hoe up just enough to swing it to the drivers side and use it as counterbalance as you raise it the rest of the way??? Just an idea from a guy who's not even there.

Don't feel bad, I got a chained up cat 416 backhoe stuck in the snow today as a matter of fact, and had to pull myself out too.

alpine44

Tilt the hoe up just enough to swing it to the drivers side and use it as counterbalance as you raise it the rest of the way??? Just an idea from a guy who's not even there.

Don't feel bad, I got a chained up cat 416 backhoe stuck in the snow today as a matter of fact, and had to pull myself out too.
The backhoe boom fully extended and preferably with a full bucket makes an excellent counterweight to stabilize any precarious list (tilt to one side). Additionally, with the leverage of the backhoe boom weight behind the rear axles, the wimpy loader is able to raise the front wheels off the ground so that dunnage can be packed under a sunken front wheel.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooops, time to call in reinforcements...
View attachment 758198

we got several hours of freezing rain first before the big snow so there was really no correcting once the hill grabbed it.
Aside from using the backhoe as a counterbalance/to extract yourself, as others have mentioned, even as wimpy as the loader is on the Winter SEE it can help push backwards in situations like that.
Heck, supposedly Big Bison was in a much worse predicament than that and successfully deployed the backhoe.

But good tires and/or chains are obviously most helpful for avoiding getting stuck in the first place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks