Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Using my SEE for real work

Thanks

I'm not including pictures in here as even in a self deprecating manner its almost TOO ridiculous. BUT I have since used the "DEADLY" method/maneuver to get out of two other mud hole messes completely of my own doing and since FLU farm didn't beat me to it I'm making an acronym!!!

D-driving
    E-extraction
    A-and
    D-dangerous
    L-loader
    Y-yank

I do want to share some observations though as others here may not have my level of Cat Like agility I can wholeheartedly assure you before attempting this you should think it through as each situation will be different. Caveat Emptor

Some general considerations with the SEE for me once stuck and attempting extraction are the following.

1. who is watching me doing this? Important as people love to give advice that don't know $%#^ all, and its distracting!!
    2. how stuck are you and on what. I'm not to worried about mud but rocks can scrape and tear so just look around a bit.
    3. are there big trees around to tie off to? WELL ROOTED trees (ask me how I know) ROPS are our friends
    4. tie off to the rear of the bucket and since your only using one (rope, set of jumper cables, vines) tied to the Dipper lever keep the boom high and set the tension so you can get the most travel in the dippers most powerful sweet spot.
    5. be aware of the angle you are pulling out and where it will pull the rest of the machine because once you get moving you want to get all the way out not hung up. part of this is where are your stabilizers traveling, I left one of mine out as the lean was a bit much during one extraction and I did not want to tip. also if the bucket drags or the pintle hits a rock you stop moving!
    6. Sounds dumb but if you have the door feature that just opens sometimes don't lean against it or use the belt. your hands will be busy

JUST prior to doing the MANUEVER
    When you are set up in the drivers seat with door closed string the dipper connected rope through the window, set 4x4, clutch in, pto on, lift loader low as possible choose gears and get up a decent rev but nothing crazy, let clutch out and pull dipper. I encountered a stall on two occasions here and wonder if that was because the power gets robbed quickly by the hoe and drivetrain acting in tandem so I used intermittent pulls on the dipper.

It seems a bit crazy, oddly enough its not mentioned in the TMs or PM's but it has worked for me like I said. I will not be venturing into this particular muddy area till July ever again but the "DEADLY" method does work and maybe should be noted somewhere in this forum (for strictly academic reasons). A lot going on at once but if you are working alone and dislike most "sources" of advice available to you and have a keen interest in not wasting more time than necessary AND it seems to rain every day since you got stuck etc etc etc.. Maybe reference the above and certainly be as safe as possible or will me your estates and crazy machinery Beforehand

I recently got two 25' double ply 4 inch 40K lbs rated straps and two very large U bolts, they are great. Cheers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lurkMcGurk For This Useful Post:

tennmogger (05-30-2018), The FLU farm (05-29-2018)

Corporal
    Thanks

Started on some spring projects grading with the FLU. It was a bit hard at first but got the hang of it after a while. It's a delicate balance between down pressure and tilt angle. It's definitely not a track dozer but still vary effective.

IMG_20180519_070501734_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180527_175707005_HDR.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LZahariev For This Useful Post:

lurkMcGurk (05-30-2018)

Thanks

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Migginsbros For This Useful Post:

lurkMcGurk (05-30-2018), The FLU farm (05-30-2018)

Thanks

To counteract lurkMcGurk's more interesting adventures, today I ended up using the pavement breaker for the first time, due to hard clay that needed some holes dug into it. It worked!
    Since the Summer SEE was now running anyway, I took the opportunity to compress some stuff in a dumpster, to create more space.

Okay, lame, but at least I finally got to drive a SEE again. It's been a while.DSCN1998[1].jpgDSCN1999[1].jpg

Oh, there was one interesting moment. With the seat painfully dirty, I stood up while running the backhoe. That meant leaning over and operating the swing pedals by hand while the bucket was inside the dumpster. Do I really need to elaborate?
    Last edited by The FLU farm; 05-29-2018 at 23:00.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The FLU farm For This Useful Post:

lurkMcGurk (05-30-2018)

Corporal
    Thanks

One good thing about the 5 ton, its perfect loading height for the FLU. IMG_20180529_184401911.jpg

General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The FLU farm View Post
    To counteract lurkMcGurk's more interesting adventures, today I ended up using the pavement breaker for the first time, due to hard clay that needed some holes dug into it. It worked!
    Since the Summer SEE was now running anyway, I took the opportunity to compress some stuff in a dumpster, to create more space.

Okay, lame, but at least I finally got to drive a SEE again. It's been a while.DSCN1998[1].jpgDSCN1999[1].jpg

Oh, there was one interesting moment. With the seat painfully dirty, I stood up while running the backhoe. That meant leaning over and operating the swing pedals by hand while the bucket was inside the dumpster. Do I really need to elaborate?
    The only cylinder leak I have lines up roughly with the seat with the backhoe stowed. Make for a greasy seat so I can emphasize. I use the pig style oil absorbent blankets to wipe it off and then sit on one.
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance (for now)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The only cylinder leak I have lines up roughly with the seat with the backhoe stowed. Make for a greasy seat so I can emphasize.
    Well, that's good. Then your seat won't rust.

Only the outrigger cylinders on the Summer SEE leak (at the moment) and that's after the battle with mud last fall. But after sitting for some six months, the seat was a bit grungy, and all the paper towels I had handy were...you guessed it, full of AW 32.

Thanks

Went to the mulch pile today
    mulch pile.jpg
    then drove about 30 MPH home

mulching drive.MOV

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lurkMcGurk For This Useful Post:

The FLU farm (07-27-2018)

Corporal
    Thanks

17A01AC5-2AC2-42B2-B3EF-E08C46DDCC7C.jpgFF44F890-0AD3-4C3B-A73C-DC7F9E5960E2.jpg

A little septic work. You know its hot when the hydro cooling fans come on with the ignition. I’ll take this opportunity to complain about the person who installed the system originally. I don’t think a shovel blade is quite deep enough.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinsandpitons For This Useful Post:

The FLU farm (07-27-2018)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13