• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using my SEE for real work

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attribute some but not all of the squirrelly road handling is primarily the radials selected for off road use versus stiff bias tires. I expect that it could be made more road friendly at the cost of losing its off road functionality (not a trade off I would choose).
I just wish it would fit in my garage. I am seriously looking at jacking my garage up to add enough height to the doors.
Tires could very well make the difference, peakbagger, and if I get the parts SEE to run reliably this weekend it'd be an opportune moment to try its bias tires on the road. Of course, That'd be comparing the HMMH (which handles better anyway) on radials to a SEE on bias tires, so it might be a draw.

Build a new, bigger garage instead of putting a lift kit on the old one. You can't have too much garage space. Or back the SEE in once, then make a "doggy door" for the resulting damage above the regular door.

peakbagger

I don't have much real estate at the house and what is there is built up so its lift it or keep the SEE under a tarp and work on it out in the driveway. My town charges high property taxes on structures ( a consequence of no state income or sale tax) but its based on square feet not height so its up or nothing. The main door header, the door tracks and the door and the attic floor both would get in the way if I tried the crash method of remodeling.

Another Ahab

I don't have much real estate at the house and what is there is built up so its lift it or keep the SEE under a tarp and work on it out in the driveway. My town charges high property taxes on structures ( a consequence of no state income or sale tax) but its based on square feet not height so its up or nothing. The main door header, the door tracks and the door and the attic floor both would get in the way if I tried the crash method of remodeling.
It's admirable that you thought through all the angles. :jumpin:[thumbzup]

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up or nothing?!? What about down...I thought you had a backhoe. How hard could it be to dig the floor area down a foot or two?
Then you could install a heated floor while you're at it. Keeps the tools nice and warm when working under a vehicle.

Another Ahab

Up or nothing?!? What about down...I thought you had a backhoe. How hard could it be to dig the floor area down a foot or two?
Then you could install a heated floor while you're at it. Keeps the tools nice and warm when working under a vehicle.
Building below grade is always a premium over building on-grade, but it's not an unreasonable option.

Is your "shed" on poles/ piers, or is it on spread footings?

lurkMcGurk

Thanks for the North Country advise Peakbagger. I actually printed the lubrication manual, the operating manual, the exploded diagram maintenance manual and the informational cartoons I put in a manual also (for my "reading office" use:whistle:). (Staples $165 wire bound) Just FYI the big manual came in three pieces but for all of them to be readily accessible by myself and diesel mechanic pal will be worth it, both for his initial tune up and my assisted wiring and anything else that needs tinkering adventure .

I did a quick inspection of the plastic alcohol tanks and it appears they are intact and they have either been replaced or well taken of. Assuming either possibility I'm hoping that would indicate the same treatment for the air lines??? I do have a brake issue and am hoping that its not the fouling of the air system as VTwin4christ encountered. As a matter of interest I too have the many toothed bucket and am interested to see how that works out. also scored a set of tools which was a complete surprise based on the photos and the ravenous appetite of the Texarkana Tool Vulchers I've heard so much about. Anyhow enjoy some tool picks and keep the advise a coming!

Also anyone feel free to let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else or if I'm supposed to do an introductory post somewhere? I am just running with it at this point with a quasi understanding of the rules here.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Thanks for the North Country advise Peakbagger.
Also anyone feel free to let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else or if I'm supposed to do an introductory post somewhere? I am just running with it at this point with a quasi understanding of the rules here.
You're plenty fine right here from everything I can tell.

Thanks for the pics. How about a beauty shot of your SEE?

lurkMcGurk

Definitely, here's a pic of the trailer loading in Texarkana about two weeks ago. Also its not late night cross eyed vision I actually ended up buying two. Why you ask and also the Misses asks? Well it seems there is lots of asking! HAHA Because sometimes you just have to double down on a decision when it makes sense. Also you have to double down when transport is pretty close to 5K for one or two. More on that later. for now here is a pic!

Attachments

lurkMcGurk

So this may be a sideways computer video but its something! Replaced all
fluids and filters (minus the hydraulic filter because it was not clogged and crazy $) changed hydraulic fluid in for the oil also. All major electric seems good minus the large colored indicator lights by the "incline O meter". I will sort out some fuses later.

I have about 10 hours on the machine and have been sorting out a hydraulic leak from the backhoe dipper and boom piston seals. It comes and goes and lately has been disappearing with a little blue devil hydraulic leak stop. I'm hoping that nips it in the bud. I have been working on a path through the woods. pictures to follow.

This clip is mostly me repositioning before tackling some rocks, boulders and a stump the size of small European car, but heavier. I'm very impressed by the shear power of the hoe. It kind of seems effortless until you forget to set the stabilizers and just moving the bucket up makes the truck hop around. Its moved some boulders a bit larger than the bucket with relative ease. Some lessons I'm learning about technique and planning should shave some time from the activities but I am having more fun than I want to admit at this point. Anyhow enjoy the cricks in the neck I have to work on my editing at some point.

View attachment Mog reposition.mov

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All major electric seems good minus the large colored indicator lights by the "incline O meter". I will sort out some fuses later.View attachment 691753
You do know that the light switch levers have to be in all the right positions for those indicator lights to come on, right?
But if they really don't work and you want something irritating to look at, you can always shine a small flashlight into your eyes.

Gotta look into that devilish liquid you mentioned. Never heard of it, and have a leaky cylinder on the crane. The largest one, of course.

peakbagger

Good to see you got one working. I find that the limiting factor with the backhoe is that even with the loader bucker full down the hoe will drag the SEE around. Even more so wen ripping at ledge.

I thought you said you got the optional Hein Werner bucket with the ripper hooks? Must be on the other one.

If all the indicator lights are out that's pretty odd, they are five separate circuits. Its been so long since my wiring repairs that I cant remember if there are any common wiring that would account for all five being out. I guess I need to check the wiring diagram.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, McGurk, now I'm curious. Did you put 1 oz. per quart in the system as per the instructions? That'd be 0.65 gallons, or about $30 worth.
I've read that sometimes the seals on a SEE self heals with some use, and after reading the reviews of Blue Devil I'm more skeptical than usual.

lurkMcGurk

Ok so here is the skinny on the leaks "their gone!" as of this mid afternoon. I swear I saw a few drips on the boom two days ago and the dipper after shut down and I left the hoe extended out so I could reach the Zerks. I added the Azul Diablo (seriously check bottom of the label)probably 5 days ago. I used/warmed the machine and hydraulic fluid per instructions and let the fluid circulate for a few hours on two separate occasions. Initially I was seeing a leak in a flow (cant remember what class leak from the manual offhand) from one of the boom cylinders as I folded it all back down until the PTO was shut off. That also occasionally spurted when I was first working last week. I worked the hoe today and I actually could hear the squeak of the seals occasionally like tight rubber over metal. I am hoping this is the reconditioning/swelling the tech I talked to explained product was ideal for use on unused but intact seals. Totally not hyping the product as its only been three uses but its tighter than a ducks areas of significant tightness. I'm impressed and hope the reconditioning works for the long haul as I refine my skills, nurse my sore backside and seriously consider the side affects of breathing in that diesel smoke all afternoon.

FLU Farm, I used the whole (1gal ish) bottle because that was to treat 20 gallons and the backhoe got 21 gallons after the oil to hydraulic change. It got two bottles shipped from autozone with coupon for around $75. If you get it cheaper than me then your doing well and I need to work on my connects. I heard about the "self heal" thing too but as I stared at the affected cylinders I kept thinking about how hot Texas is and how hot the Middle East is, or was in the 90's. It would make sense that any elasticity in rubber would be baked out by the sheer heat and being on seals near the top of the system perhaps the oil flowed down and away thereby intensifying the drying out. I dunno but I remember the desert as a kid and seeing plastic bottles that had only been out there a year or two in direct sunlight. They almost shattered like glass instead of crinkling like a petroleum based plastic does in New England if left outside. So in my mind based on the leaks I saw self heal didn't seem like a probable solution, also the tech said no issues in the rest of the system from this stuff so I rolled the dice. I am however going top leave the oil in the second MOG and see where that's at and what the difference is.
azul diablo.JPGinstructions blue devil.JPG
Also I do have to read the manuals again as I keep learning stuff and although I read the light stuff initially its back seat for now. temp gauges and pressure are what I'm mostly staring at in this break in or re brake in stage!

Peakbagger, I am confident you can do NO digging if on an incline facing down!! At best when I'm level I have to really put those stabilizers out and the best digging leverage is like a 90 degree digging using the bucket tilt and dipper arm. Any really heavy pulls with the hoe stretched out and i'm basically repositioning and digging stabilizer trenches on either side. It was easier to do the path I was talking about because the stabilizers could grab the tree roots and everything was flat. Trying to flatten out and area and dig stumps while positioned on loose soil I just dug is more demanding and time consuming. Still fun though and aside from winter planning for the MOGS and some lubing and fluid checks its project time in earnest soon enough.

MOG2 arrived today and I may call that one Lord Voldemort, seems OK so far but I have my suspicions! Anyhow cheers for now I actually have to work tomorrow and maybe the rest of the week. Trying to take days off sometime this Summer but I'm up against it,it would seem:grin:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Called Blue Devil tech this morning as I was curious about the guarantee. Sure enough, you may get your money back if the product doesn't work, but if it creates any problems you're on your own.
I'd read up on this and similar products last night, and thinking it all through while we were talking, I said "Thanks, but I think I'll replace the leaking seal rather than risk doing something to all the cylinders' seals."
"That's a dumb decision." said the tech. The conversation didn't last much past that statement.

I sure hope the stuff works for you, but if I ever decide to use hydraulic stop leak, it'll be Lucas. I don't feel like having leaks and getting insulted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks