Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Using my SEE for real work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I attribute some but not all of the squirrelly road handling is primarily the radials selected for off road use versus stiff bias tires. I expect that it could be made more road friendly at the cost of losing its off road functionality (not a trade off I would choose).
    I just wish it would fit in my garage. I am seriously looking at jacking my garage up to add enough height to the doors.
    Tires could very well make the difference, peakbagger, and if I get the parts SEE to run reliably this weekend it'd be an opportune moment to try its bias tires on the road. Of course, That'd be comparing the HMMH (which handles better anyway) on radials to a SEE on bias tires, so it might be a draw.

Build a new, bigger garage instead of putting a lift kit on the old one. You can't have too much garage space. Or back the SEE in once, then make a "doggy door" for the resulting damage above the regular door.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The FLU farm For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (03-03-2017)

General
    Thanks

I don't have much real estate at the house and what is there is built up so its lift it or keep the SEE under a tarp and work on it out in the driveway. My town charges high property taxes on structures ( a consequence of no state income or sale tax) but its based on square feet not height so its up or nothing. The main door header, the door tracks and the door and the attic floor both would get in the way if I tried the crash method of remodeling.
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance (for now)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,300 Times in 5,022 Posts

I don't have much real estate at the house and what is there is built up so its lift it or keep the SEE under a tarp and work on it out in the driveway. My town charges high property taxes on structures ( a consequence of no state income or sale tax) but its based on square feet not height so its up or nothing. The main door header, the door tracks and the door and the attic floor both would get in the way if I tried the crash method of remodeling.
    It's admirable that you thought through all the angles.
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

Thanks

Up or nothing?!? What about down...I thought you had a backhoe. How hard could it be to dig the floor area down a foot or two?
    Then you could install a heated floor while you're at it. Keeps the tools nice and warm when working under a vehicle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The FLU farm View Post
    Up or nothing?!? What about down...I thought you had a backhoe. How hard could it be to dig the floor area down a foot or two?
    Then you could install a heated floor while you're at it. Keeps the tools nice and warm when working under a vehicle.
    Building below grade is always a premium over building on-grade, but it's not an unreasonable option.

Is your "shed" on poles/ piers, or is it on spread footings?
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

Thanks

Thanks for the North Country advise Peakbagger. I actually printed the lubrication manual, the operating manual, the exploded diagram maintenance manual and the informational cartoons I put in a manual also (for my "reading office" use). (Staples $165 wire bound) Just FYI the big manual came in three pieces but for all of them to be readily accessible by myself and diesel mechanic pal will be worth it, both for his initial tune up and my assisted wiring and anything else that needs tinkering adventure .

I did a quick inspection of the plastic alcohol tanks and it appears they are intact and they have either been replaced or well taken of. Assuming either possibility I'm hoping that would indicate the same treatment for the air lines??? I do have a brake issue and am hoping that its not the fouling of the air system as VTwin4christ encountered. As a matter of interest I too have the many toothed bucket and am interested to see how that works out. also scored a set of tools which was a complete surprise based on the photos and the ravenous appetite of the Texarkana Tool Vulchers I've heard so much about. Anyhow enjoy some tool picks and keep the advise a coming!

Also anyone feel free to let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else or if I'm supposed to do an introductory post somewhere? I am just running with it at this point with a quasi understanding of the rules here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lurkMcGurk For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (04-21-2017), marchplumber (04-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lurkMcGurk View Post
    Thanks for the North Country advise Peakbagger.
    Also anyone feel free to let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else or if I'm supposed to do an introductory post somewhere? I am just running with it at this point with a quasi understanding of the rules here.
    You're plenty fine right here from everything I can tell.

Thanks for the pics. How about a beauty shot of your SEE?
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Another Ahab For This Useful Post:

alpine44 (08-02-2017)

Thanks

Definitely, here's a pic of the trailer loading in Texarkana about two weeks ago. Also its not late night cross eyed vision I actually ended up buying two. Why you ask and also the Misses asks? Well it seems there is lots of asking! HAHA Because sometimes you just have to double down on a decision when it makes sense. Also you have to double down when transport is pretty close to 5K for one or two. More on that later. for now here is a pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lurkMcGurk For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (04-21-2017)

Thanks

So it was you that bought what I hoped would be my parts SEE. Oh, well, you're welcome anyway.

Thanks

You know what they say "one mans trash another mans treasure"

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast