• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using my SEE for real work

lurkMcGurk

Winter Stuff!!

So I was helping a buddy out till I got his plow truck Stuck! On his lawn/driveway to boot. So as it was late and dark (and I was out of ideas) I resolved to solve the issue the next morning and went home

I threw the electric magnetic exterior oil pan heater on for the night at -10 F (-23.333333 C) and the next day at around 8 Fahrenheit (-13.3333333) at 0800hrs I headed over to pull the truck out. Mog 1 started without a fuss and I ran the hydraulics for 20 minutes letting it warm the fluid for the backhoe. I also had to clean out a mouse trap I set when I covered it last fall as it had been used to deadly effect! As per the Peakbagger instructions for winter I refilled the denatured alcohol reservoir to keep water out of the lines.

The short ride over was a bit new as I have not ventured off the property and over 20mph (32.18688 kph) before. Pretty steady but I may have to consult the manual as I didn't seem to be taking off in the gearing I selected II on the small stick and L 3 were my tops if I went to L 4 it started dying a bit. Might have needed to shift into H, not sure. Also not sure how they did that military demo video at speed and swerved without loosing control!!!

IMG951617.jpgIMG951618.jpg

I apologize in advance for no action video of the actual rescue!!! I simply chained his front u connection the Mog bucket and leaned the backhoe out for leverage as there was zero traction on that ice. One steady tug and out. After that I made sure to remind him that although I caused the issue I had also in fact solved the problem and therefore he is indebted to me for a favor!!:naner: That's my new 2018 logic! Cheers All Happy New Year.

peakbagger

I am surprised it started as the fuel was probably summer grade. At -10 I would expect it was jello. It could be a reason why you were running out of power, I expect the suction side of the fuel system was having a tough time getting enough fuel up to the Injection pump. Might be worth adding a bunch of K-1 to the tank.

Good job getting it running in pinch.

lurkMcGurk

71SSL+vfNTL._SX425_.jpgThis and I'm an Off road vehicle so I can run the home heating oil at the pump. I'm told thats a bit cleaner than On road Diesel. Also I blew both spares from Mog 1 and 2 and then bought 6 Pirellis and mounted two ready to go for what I thought would be blowout number 3. I haven't had any issue with the originals since then. Murphys Law I guess. Still if I have anymore on road adventures I will switch the tires out on at least one Mog beforehand. I'd rather loose the old tires to the 2018 Summer digging project then just toss them.

looked in the tank and no gel prior to start, did start nicely but I did add the winter antigel and ran several 10 minute sessions with that in the lines prior to storage, the whole Mog was pretty well covered by a tarp and snow was covering the bottom for the most part so maybe the oilpan being heated helped out, not sure. Still good results on the fly.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the biggest ditch, but considering I’m a cat controls guy and this is as right next to power and over the top of irrigation water, it saved a lot of hand work. The three stick foot swing stuff is weird.
So it's not just me then? I can switch between twin stick and the SEE with relative ease, although it usually results in a few "Ooops" in the beginning. Which is one reason I run the engine at low rpms.
But the swing pedals, which are the most logical as far as left and right goes, I keep getting wrong on occasion.

I'm also painfully familiar with having power, ditches, and other nearby "obstructions". Yet another reason for low engine rpm.

lurkMcGurk

So I got off to an early start this year and the Mogs fired up with one prime from winter dormancy. Very excited about that. Only hiccup was a week later . When I went to restart Mog 1 (Battery on, key turned, throttle out and pushed starter), not so much as a click. I spent a while chasing various things down and actually found a burnt fuse I recollect was something to do with the starting process (Fusebox 1 Number 3 Starter Interlock). Changed that and NOTHING.

In my understanding of motivating people and machinery if something doesn't work you should push harder and say C'mon C'MON and shout encouraging age appropriate things. In this instance I think I pushed the clutch to hard and thereby misaligned the clutch switch that completes that starting process. Also based on the age of the equipment it was not a PG-13 choice of words. Either way until I slowed down and checked the switch to see it was not engaging I wasted about an hour or more. Luckily easy fix and solid lesson.

Unfortunately as time was a wasting I did not fully check the area of my intended project and instead gathered my stuff up for culvert workpipe 1.jpg
drive down to the pondpipe 2.jpgpipe 3.jpgpipe 4.jpg
started placing culverts for snow run offpipe 5.jpg
realized I was sinking as I was working and started my tactical advance to the rearpipe 6.jpg Note how chewed up the ground is !!!! Long story short Mog 1 is not moving for a few weeks till the ground gets a bit dryer. I never noticed the ground had gotten soggy till It was a little too late. If I continue to mess around I will make a mess of the place sooooo just going to have to tap into my Never Ending supply of patience and wait a few weeks for less rain and the end of Mud Season. Also hindsight being blah, blah blah in one of the first pics I should have caught that even on a few parts of the path too the pond the tires were making tracks in mud. I did not properly read the omens and the Mud Gods of New England had their laughs. Cheers!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, yes, been there done that. And afterwards you'll be able to laugh about it.
I didn't want to leave mine sitting, so after hours (?) of unsuccessful attempts to get the Summer SEE unstuck using the backhoe, I got the Winter See and pulled it out.
It would be SO much easier to get unstuck if being able to both drive and operate the backhoe. Have pondered some sort of "sticks and strings" setup. Anyone have a sliding rear window for sale?

lurkMcGurk

Great minds think alike!!! I had an extra strap on the boom stick through the driver side window and gave it a few tugs while trying to drive forward. I figured maybe the "Hopping" motion of the front wheels from the leverage of the boom might free things up. Then I decided that waiting a few weeks would be the less creative but safer play. I honestly don't think it would have stuck normally but I angled in a spot where the hoe has nothing to grab or push. A little less rain and i'll be back in Business!!

oddly enough since I can control the loader from the hoe the vice versa didn't seem like all that crazy of an idea. Tha #$%! I can talk myself into is Epic.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't feel bad about getting stuck, McGurk. I had to summon help to get the Winter SEE unstuck once. Like in your case, the hoe wouldn't grab anything. It was all ice.
The second time it was mostly the lack of power in the swing cylinders that prevented a successful solo unstuck.

It'd be nice to be able to operate all the backhoe functions from the driver's seat, I think. That way I wouldn't be able to see the poor job I did until later.

EDIT: I forgot about my first stuck, when trying to cross a ditch the easy way.
Pulled the rear axle over and across the freshly dug 24x24+" ditch with the backhoe, no problem. Then hopped in the cab, lowered the loader and went to drag the front end across, just like with a tractor or real backhoe.
That's when I learned that the Winter SEE's loader has no down force/holding power. The loader seemed to come up quicker than the wheels fell into the ditch.
Got out using the backhoe as a counterweight, extending it all the way to take load off the front axle. It worked, but barely.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks