• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 superior to M936

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
816 > 900 series anyday.

Automatics stink!!!!!!!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
clint, id take a heavy auto over a standard any day, less wheel spin, infinitive touque multiplaction, with conveter lockup and manual shift, you have a almost unstopable trans., this is why ALL the heavy equipment makers use autos, a lot of over the road trucks use autos now, most drivers love them

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there is more to this story than the video shows. Why was the 923 bogging down, and the 816 wasn't sinking in? It may be that if the roles were reversed, the 816 would be sinking in as well, with the 923 high and dry.

jwaller

this 923 has crap OTR truck tires on it(worthless off road and esp in sand) and the driver kept in the throttle and kept digging in. had he let the 816 pull him out and then driven off he'd been fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the driver was the cause of that stuck. Obvioulsy doesn't have a clue as to driving on sand. The reason the 816 wasn't moving is it had out the rear ground spades. I don't think the NDTs would be any better in the sand.

Cdub

If the M923 had some XL's and a set of Detroit Lockers in it's tamdems it might not have turned out like it did. The only regrets the local NJ Guard has it with the Turbo 939 compaired to the NHC-250's.

seya,

C'dub

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M816 never drove through the soft stuff that the M936 was stuck in. Look at the 816's tires. They have a little sand in the center. It's not like they both said "Hey, let's drive through there!" and the M936 got stuck, so the M816 pulled him out. The M816 backed in on hard-packed sand and set the spades for recovery. Those radials on the M936 aren't for off-roading and that's a lot of weight to put on soft, wet sand with 80psi or whatever in the tires. An A2 wrecker might have faired far better.

I love a stick, but (for me) the only advantages of a stick over the automatic when off-roading is the ability to rock the truck when you're stuck and the ability to crawl the truck without brakes (or with less braking). You can rock automatic equipped vehicles with practice, but throw the 900 tranny in neutral and back into drive while applying power and you'll be listening to the wonderful sound of the bell-housing splitting all the way around a few inches behind the engine...

This was not a case of being able to "rocK" out of your stuck... Cool video, though.

Rattlehead

Basically the same weight, same axles (excl brakes), same hp. With all that, the ability to go thru mud would depend more on tires and the driver.

In defense of the M939's (since I have one, lol), I have to admit I didn't like the idea of an automatic at first, but wanted the full air brakes and non sprag t-case. Now that I have it, I have to say its fun driving the auto in a big truck, especially when in town. With the deuce in traffic, I will take off from a green light and work away through the gears just to get stuck at the next light and have to do it all over again. With the auto, you just mat it and go. Pros and cons to each.

emr

Tires and driver mean more than most other stuff in the mud or anything else, It did not look at all like there was a one truck better than the other to Me, either. But enjoyed it. Randy

Blood_of_Tyrants

From the video, the driver didn't know hw to drive in soft sand. He should have just let the M816 pull him out as he idled and he would have rolled up on the sand in about a truck length. Instead, he gunned it the whole time and kept it stuck until the end.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Lets bounce this one back from the past.

I prefer the 816 over the 936 for crane operations especially since I like being able to leave the truck at idle and run the boom or slightly above idle rather than at 1600 rpms or more on the 936. So this way atleast if i want slow minuscule movements I can get it out of the crane on the 816 Rather the 936 being slightly quicker with its pump flow higher with the RPMS. Now if I could have a manual in a 936 or even the CAT 7155 where I could turn the RPMS down I would prefer it.

https://youtu.be/vQ6mrkirS8g

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks