• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alberta Canada Trips In Vehicle Events ACTIVE

Another Ahab

Let's finish this up before I forget. Picture # 6 is a remake of the B-25 my good buddy Terry Champion drove into the hanger that the Alberta Aviation Museum currently resides in.

Daisy Mae is as complete as any static B-25 can be so here are a few extra pics to top off this road trip.

View attachment 651399
You all really have a killer museum up there, plowboy. It looks like an excellent collection.

Who's responsible for all of that; like who started it up?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You all really have a killer museum up there, plowboy. It looks like an excellent collection.

Who's responsible for all of that; like who started it up?
It's funny because I should know more about the folks that actually kicked the museum off in the first days. In 94' I delivered materials for the display cabinets and snapped a photo of my 72' Chev sitting in front of the Avro Anson but was too busy to become heavily involved with operations. Terry Champion, the man that tried to park the B-25 inside was one of the first grand pooba's I met but there have been many contributing corporations supporting the shack for decades. Airspray, Pacific Western Airlines, Harv Air and even greats like Joe from Buffalo Airlines have supported the old WW11 hanger museum. I've been a member for 24 years but stayed away from the politics unless my vote was needed to oust grumpy people. Once the website is back up and functioning properly we'll get you the history on the Edmonton/Alberta Aviation Museum

PA270063.jpg

Please stop posting pictures of closed cab CCKWs that will encourage me to do something dumb.
What you're saying is that you've already thrown your hat in the ring so many times you wouldn't want to see the Studebakers and closed cab oddities that still sit in some of the farm fields around Canada. Posting these pictures from a CMP recovery we did last year of trucks that are owned by one of our MVPA legends would be wrong then.

PB200638.jpgPB200600.jpgPB200602.jpgPB200603.jpgPB200605.jpgPB200612.jpgPB200614.jpgPB200632.jpgPB200634.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a long shadow, early morning call to stage 2 1/2 hours before the start of the Stony Plain Heritage Days Parade today. The organizers finally put us with the regular forces so had a chance to get a few pics of some current gear and mingle with the troops.

Can't say enough about the local historic Military Vehicle collectors around here with 7 magnificent vehicles showing up once again.

P6030564.jpgP6030588.jpgP6030599.jpgP6030586.jpgP6030565.jpgP6030572.jpgP6030566.jpgP6030553.jpgP6030555.jpgP6030542.jpgP6030545.jpgP6030567.jpg

ywgspotter

ywgspotter if you head the south #1 route to Cold Lake rather than #16 look me up I will buy lunch. If you run into trouble on the trip near me call I can help. Eddy
My plan so far is to leave around 7:00am July 6th and taking the number 1 to Regina. I'd be happy to stop by for a bit and visit. I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goose was staged about 15 minutes from Onoway and I'm not sure if it was the cool moist air but Goose hit 58mph and ran like a top all the way in to town. Gizmo was real tight in behind as tail gunner so maybe we grabbed some NASCAR drafting that helped push Goose to be on time for staging. Grabbed a quick pic that looks much better after a few shots of whiskey.

View attachment 627984

Odd shots.

View attachment 627976View attachment 627977View attachment 627978View attachment 627979View attachment 627980View attachment 627981View attachment 627982View attachment 627983
Picture #5 looks like Papa Bear in his Briggs & Stratton powered F-16, getting ready for takeoff. He's even got his name on the nose cowling. Check out the Nitrous Oxide bottle next to the right rear tire. :papabear:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture #5 looks like Papa Bear in his Briggs & Stratton powered F-16, getting ready for takeoff. He's even got his name on the nose cowling. Check out the Nitrous Oxide bottle next to the right rear tire. :papabear:
We need to bring that picture front and center. I missed the Papa Bear logo on the hood. Thanks for pointing it out! These rally racing warriors are as entertaining as any demolition derby out there. I can always ask if they have one more car.

papa bear.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
plowboy, looks like lots of good stuff up there to keep you busy all winter. Love the COE and closed cab trucks, and the museum looks great. By the way I know that's PapaBear, he's the only one I know with a chrome Briggs & Stratton with a blower running NOX injection.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canada Day 150th Display 1 North Edmonton

With parties everywhere and the mood festive, respective and light, the MVPA affiliates were ACTIVE at many locations. Edmonton Garrison hosted a very fun filled, family based event which we'll call display 1. I know you boys like your ladies so these girls volunteered to show Steel Soldiers some Canadian Pride.

P7010214.jpg P7010261.jpg

With the MV mentors returning from the MVPA convention, both the M3 A1 and the CCKW closed cab were on display with Gizmo the M135, a jeep and two Iltis'S'S. Is the plural form of Iltis....Iltis?

P7010239.jpgP7010250.jpg P7010296.jpgP7010253.jpgP7010256.jpg

The Harley and the Paratrooper mini-bike were huge bonuses today and put on an active display. The man that arranged this gig up for us is regular forces and between his set up and a few other's, the display was phenomenal. Large crowds would gather to listen to the stories which made the day even better for those who were telling them. I don't know much about the bangers but the first pic is the Sten gun and Mark 5.......see, I can still learn!

P7010274.jpgP7010299.jpgP7010305.jpgP7010259.jpgP7010266.jpgP7010301.jpg P7010263.jpg

Even though this is family based, the real is kept real so don't show up if you don't like hugs! Some of our bravest, with the most difficult jobs, were showing us what they do and what they find. Thank you, to all who serve!

P7010236.jpg P7010227.jpgP7010237.jpgP7010229.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canadian Army Commander

That little "pack" scooter is pretty wacky!
We got to see it being re-built this winter and the owner was ripping around, displaying it's awesome abilities. Wacky history indeed.

Display 2

This is probably the most prestigious photo of the day. One of our CCDMA/ MVPA members was close to the town of Breton and was asked to give the Commander of the Canadian Army a ride. LGen Paul Wynnyk is a local gent, raised in Breton, so it was a huge opportunity to represent the importance of the active Military Vehicle Preservation owners and the history they display.

The Commander of the Canadian Army and one of my bunker buddies, Paul.

paul and the commander.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
plowboy, I sure would like to get up to Canada someday, was a kid on my last visit. I love lots of open country, and most of all I love the game. (ice hockey) But Ya can keep the bears.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steel Soldier Terrh just got back from a road trip to Jasper and sent this picture. There's enough snow in the mountains that we can grab Dogheads Zamboni, flood a spot and get a quick game going!

mms_img108474212.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
July 15th and 16th Alberta Rail Museum

After months of planning with various museum boards......we got our act together and the show is this weekend, July 15/16, 2017. I'll stick next years dates in the "Upcoming Events" forum once confirmed. Maybe some of our Steel Soldiers will tie your Canadian holiday in with a visit to the Alberta Railway Museum next year. Insurance agreements and overnight arrangements were just confirmed for our first associated display so we'll be better prepared for the next one. Alberta Railway Museum Annual Display Associated #1 ARMADA1

We're in multi celebration mode with Canada's 150th creation date and 100 years since some very significant battles in Canada's military history. This year we remember The Battle of Passchendaele http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/battle-of-passchendaele/

""""""The Battle of Passchendaele is a vivid symbol of the mud, madness and the senseless slaughter of the First World War. In the late summer of 1917, the British launched a series of failed assaults against German forces holding the plateau overlooking the city of Ypres, Belgium. The battlefield became a quagmire. Canadian forces entered the fray in October, capturing the Passchendaele ridge at a cost of 15,600 casualties — a high price for a piece of ground that would be vacated for the enemy the following year."""""

Never forgetting means remembering once in a while. We're covering several decades of military history and displaying some of the items from the early nuclear age.

Here's a PSA we worked on.

Railway have long played a key logistics role in the movement of military personnel and equipment. To commemorate those ties, the Alberta Railway Museum will host one of the largest collections of Military and Civil Defence Items Edmonton has ever seen on July 15,16.

An Alberta affiliate of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA) will display Jeeps and other equipment spanning six decades. In addition, the Canadian Civil Defence Museum Association (CCDMA) will feature a rare auditory reminder of the not-to-distant Cold War past — three tests of a rare Canadian-made CLM Air Raid Siren.
“This is an opportunity for the public to experience and photograph the trains that helped settle the West, alongside the military equipment that helped preserve our freedoms,” said Alberta Railway Museum president Stephen Yakimets.
“It’s especially fitting, not only as part of Canada’s 150th birthday celebrations, but because July is also the 100th anniversary of a key battle in our country’s history: The Third Battles of Ypres, or Passchendaele.”
The Alberta Railway Museum, located at 24215 34 Street in Edmonton, recreates a small railway terminal with a country station, shops and small rail yard. The equipment collection includes the last surviving steam locomotive of the Northern Alberta Railways (No. 73) and Canadian National’s first road freight diesel-electric (No. 9000).
The military vehicles to be displayed, weather permitting, are privately owned and restored by collectors, and were originally used by Canadian Military, Civil Defence and the Emergency Management organizations. They include:
- 1944 Dodge WWII Command Car;
- 1943 Ford GPW WWII Jeep;
- 1943 White M3A1 WWII Armoured Car;
- 1942 Ford Universal Carrier, WWII, Bren gun carrier;
- 1950s GMC M135s deuce and a half;
- 1950s Daimler Canadian Ferret;
- 1967 Kaiser M38A1's jeep;
- 1980s Iltis Cable Layer;
- 1985 GMC M1010 80s Ambulance;
- 1980s LSVW comms vehicle;
- 1980s LSVW Cable Layer;
- 1990s M923 5 Ton transport.

Dave Dickie of the Canadian Civil Defence Museum Association said his group is excited to show off Cold War treasures: “Some of these were only recently discovered, most from locations so secret Canadians are only becoming aware of them 60 years after their creation!” he said.
Dickie noted the railway museum’s location, on a former spur line that once linked to the Namao armed forces base, is another connection to the military past.
“The isolated location of this section of railroad made it perfect for feeding nuclear weapons to the Strategic Air Command base nearby,” he said.
History buffs can also review maps of rail rights-of-way, long erased from the City of Edmonton, that were known as the “Cold War Railway.” The lines ran west along 106 Ave, to various locations along its way, providing people and material for Cold War preparations.
Dickie said his group will demonstrate how the railway was part of the Nuclear Detonation and Fall-Out Reporting System, providing locations for staff and radiation detection equipment in fall-out shelters throughout the rail system.
The air raid siren, too, will be tested at 1100hrs, 1300hrs and 1500hrs.
The Alberta Railway Museum is open 10-5 on weekends. See www.albertarailwaymuseum.com for more details.

AB RWY Museum Canada Day Train.jpg

Another Ahab

The military vehicles to be displayed, weather permitting, are privately owned and restored by collectors, and were originally used by Canadian Military, Civil Defence and the Emergency Management organizations. They include:
- 1944 Dodge WWII Command Car;
- 1943 Ford GPW WWII Jeep;
- 1943 White M3A1 WWII Armoured Car;
- 1942 Ford Universal Carrier, WWII, Bren gun carrier;
- 1950s GMC M135s deuce and a half;
- 1950s Daimler Canadian Ferret;
- 1967 Kaiser M38A1's jeep;
- 1980s Iltis Cable Layer;
- 1985 GMC M1010 80s Ambulance;
- 1980s LSVW comms vehicle;
- 1980s LSVW Cable Layer;
- 1990s M923 5 Ton transport.
Hey, plowboy, you ARE going to give us a sneak peek someday aren't you.....please??!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks