• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'91 5ton tail-light conversion

azkcr

Guys I am going a bit crazy.
I tried searching for this but can't find too much on it.

I have some oval 12v/24v red stop, turn, tail-lights that I need to install on my truck instead of the factory ones.
They are just 3 wire lights. Ground, running, stop/turn.

There are 5 wires on the truck and the light isn't much help right now.
I still don't really have a good grasp on what all the light switch does.
Black out lighting has me all screwed up.

Can someone explain to me what I need to do or research?????

azkcr

Alright thanks!
I saw somewhere that you have to run a wire from the cab to the passenger light for the stop?
I'm obviously lost....
I'll keep reading, I just hoped someone had already done this once.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two of the wires are for the blackout lights and won't be used for what your doing. Another wire goes to the side marker light on the side of the bed and will stay in place. The original lights ground through the mounting bolts. That just leaves you 2 wires to figure out: stop/turn and tail. The black wire on your new lights should go to ground. The wiring should be there. Not sure why you'd need another separate wire. If the light doesn't work to help you figure it out, a multimeter will be your friend.

Neither here nor there, but curious why you're going civilian? Are the new ones incandescent or LED?

azkcr

That's good info. I'm afraid I have a problem with some of the wiring then because i was not getting any running light power to any wires.
And it's a fire truck so i built a flat bed for it to lower the center of gravity for the tank.
Theyre 12/24v led oval lights.
I wish I was better at taking pictures so I could show you

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wire #21 is for the tail lights. A screen shot of the rear wiring diagram is below. More diagrams can be found in the back of the -23-5 TM.

Screenshot_2016-06-19-13-08-27.jpg

Csm Davis

That's good info. I'm afraid I have a problem with some of the wiring then because i was not getting any running light power to any wires.
And it's a fire truck so i built a flat bed for it to lower the center of gravity for the tank.
Theyre 12/24v led oval lights.
I wish I was better at taking pictures so I could show you
Okay first do you have the three lever switch in the service position? If not that is the reason why you are not getting voltage at the tail lights.get a copy of the -10 and read up on how the switches in your truck work. Not trying to be a pain but you should read it through at least once everyone should.

sent from my decrepit fingers

azkcr

Thank y'all. A ton.
I'm working on it today.
All is going well, I found I had a pinched wire further up the line and that's why I was having such a hard time.
I've read the -10 all the way through 2-3 times, but was tired and in bed each time. Big mistake. Lol
I'll try to post pics soon

dmetalmiki

There ya' go..once you find one live wire and the position of the switch to "light it" (Service drive) you are good to go. TMs are your friend.

azkcr

There ya' go..once you find one live wire and the position of the switch to "light it" (Service drive) you are good to go. TMs are your friend.

Ya. Definitely!
I've got everything lined out EXCEPT (always something) wire 21 (Light switch (HT) to service tail lamp) is always hot right now.
I thought 21 is stop lights...

The book says 22 is (Light switch (S) to service stop lamp) but I don't have a 22 wire back there..

azkcr

22 460 is the right side. 461 is the left.

....... Crap. Let me go check again. I think I flubbed up.

And of course. Ugh. I'm better than this. Been a long year so far.... Haha.
Thanks guys, they'll be wired up within the hour

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks