• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame-up restoration... er, unibody-up restoration done.

nattieleather

The jeep restored in this thread is an M151. Not an A1 or A2. The M151A1 has cigar shaped turnsignals on the fenders. The M151A2 is way different, but the easest way to tell is the bigger new style (aka duce type) turnsignals on the front and back. There are other differences, but that's the easest way to tell.

The ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) was a six point roll cage that was in a kit form and was put into M151A2s only by the Army as a modification work order in the early to mid 80's towards the end of the life of M151s (Hummers came out in the mid 80's to replace them)

The ROPS kit had seat belts that were part of the kit and were much like your car in that it was a three point belt, lap and shoulder. The kit also had nylon netting that ran between the uprights of the kit to help hold you in.

As for roll over. M151s and M151A1s were more prone to roll over than A2s. The rear suspension on an 151 and A1 was and A- arm suspention while the A2 was still independent but moved differently. The 151 and A1 suspension was like this < > and the A2 is kinda like _|| ||_ You get the idea. If you look at the picture of the jeep from the rear you can see the toe-in of the rear tires.

I have had a half a roll in a 151 almost 20 years ago. It will be 20 next month. I was driving my M151A1 as a daily driver back then and I was out in the semi country (now all built up with housing developments and strip malls etc) at night looking for an address. The jeep was stock with the old "cats eyes" tail lights. Unbeknownst to me a guy in a 79 lincoln had come over the hill behind me and started to try and pass me as I signaled and made a left turn into the place I was looking for. Remember its night, its decemeber and the jeep is 24087 OD. He never saw my turn signals and hit me at about 25-30 mph in the drivers side rear wheel well. The jeep started to slide sideways and I remember say "Dear Lord please don't let it roll over". Then it started to roll and I said "dear Lord don't let it keep rolling over." The jeep rolled onto it's side. Started to go the next turn and then fell back onto it's side. I was in the drivers seat trying to figure out how to get out. I slid down the the passangers side open the drivers door. I had a vinyl top, doors and side curtains on and then I crawled out.

His insurance company got me a new restored M151... :) I had the guy who was restoring it put AS rear tail light sections on the back of the jeep so it could have the "modern" style tail lights. Every MV I've owned since then has had the bigger tail lights on them. I still have that jeep and it's about do another restoration.

surpdlr

nattieleather said:
As for roll over. M151s and M151A1s were more prone to roll over than A2s. The rear suspension on an 151 and A1 was and A- arm suspention while the A2 was still independent but moved differently. The 151 and A1 suspension was like this < > and the A2 is kinda like _|| ||_ You get the idea. If you look at the picture of the jeep from the rear you can see the toe-in of the rear tires.
M151 / M151A1 ='s Side swing arm "A" arm's on the rear.
M151A2 ='s Trailing swing arm "A" arms in the rear.

Front suspension is the same Side swing style on ALL.

The big problem with the side swing arm is that you don't feel any body roll till you have a wheel in the air, then it normally tries to tuck uder, and that keeps the rollover going. In 25+ years of driving M151's I have come closer to rolling my 42 Ford script GPW when it had a hard top on it then I ever have in a M151!!

superburban

nattieleather said:
Nice job by your neighbor.....
Tell him to turn the spare gas can around. The spout should face the spare tire. This was common practice with M151s because a full can would exspand and if the seal was not the best (which they never are) the can could leak onto the hot exhust pipe.
He has the gas can turned this way because his exhaust pipe exits on the right side of the bottom of the gas can!

nattieleather

I'm not 100% familiar with first generation M151 but I thought all the exhaust pipes exited on the left hand side of the bumperett between the bumperett and the tail light.

Does he have a custom exhaust?

superburban

I dont think so. He bought all of his "new" parts from Tomlin, and from other 151 owners in the MVPA, so I assume it's NOS. Perhaps its bent?

65falcon

After looking through my M151 manuals they show the tailpipe extension exiting only the left side of the bumperett. Could the rear outlet pipe be positioned incorrectly with the bend in the opposite direction? My intension is not to nit pick your M151 it is a great looking jeep just posted FYI. I have an A2 myself and love it. It also has the retrofit ROPS.

TedG

It has been a few years since I restored my 151A2 but I do have pictures of the rear exhaust before and after. The pipe with the 3 bolt flange ends under the rear cross member to the left of the left rear bumperette. Then there is tail pipe that is bolted to the pipe to extend it towards the left rear corner. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Attachments

nattieleather

superburban said:
AHA! There is no bend to direct the exhaust out to the left. It just sticks straight out, pointing back.
Huh that ain't right... :)

It should look like the one in the pic. I wonder if he has a pipe out of sequence some how??

Floyd

superb and nattiel I think you're both right on the exhaust. The fording kit and the extention for the M718 both had an odd section of pipe that went straight back, the vertical fording tube connected to it and the 718 also took the other section with the bend to the left.

Floyd

superburban

BINGO! That's what happened! He's got all of the bits and pieces for a fording kit! He just doesn't have it all on there yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks