• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M274 engine rebuilding services?

monighan

I did a genset motor swap this week and it was very easy. It did take a little longer because I sand blasted all the ducting and what ever else needed cleaned up and repainted. These are the things needing changed; oil pan/windage tray,gear cover,bell housing,oil lines,flywheel,belt pulley,drain lines from the heads,intake runners and intake manifold,carb,mag,dip stick,fuel line,then add the Mule blower and sheet metal,exhaust pipe. Maybe I missed something. Even though it was alot of screwing around I did spend several hours of quality time with my 15yr old and he learned alittle more about basic mechanics and engines. If we need to do another one on a second Mule I'll probably just buy one from Bill W. to save some time.

JDToumanian

This is an older thread, but there was an unresolved issue regarding the horsepower differences between the A042 mule engine which is 14hp, and the 2A042-2/3 5kw genset engine which is 10hp.

I just finished going through TM 9-2805-258-24P (5kw / 10hp genset engine parts manual) and TM 5-2805-213-24P (14hp mule engine parts manual). The part numbers relevant to the mule - block, crank, pistons, rods, cam, heads and associated parts, have the same part and NSN numbers in both manuals. The 4hp less produced by the genset engine must be due to the different carb, magneto, and/or governor.

Regards,
Jon

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, prices for mule motors have come up. I have 3 NOS crate mule power packs sealed in the nitrogen wrapping. Bought from a guy in NC that had about 20 to 25 of them back in the late 1990s. We used the the 4th one we bought about 10 years ago, it was complete down to the new clutch plate. Everything on this engine was new. Looking at my receipt, they were 200 each, those were the days. Too bad, all I have right now are 4 cylinder mules (my favorite anyway, love the way they sound) but I'll get another 2 banger before too much longer.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking for 2 or 4 cylinder engines? I rebuild the 4 cylinders. Take a few weeks due to work schedule and they are a little more expensive b/c of the complexity.

headrc

If you are still looking for a Mule ...I have one for sale in Tennessee. It needs a complete overhaul. I do have an extra engine that has been completely overhauled and tested. I have the ability to do any work you want done on the Mule as well and have a stash of parts for rebuilding. Bill Watson knows me and the work I do FYI. The parts were purchased from him. The price for the Mule is $2000 and the rebuilt engine is $1100 with the swap of the existing engine. The Mule bed has no holes drilled in it, the basket is in OK condition, the engine cover is there as well as the gun hole cover. Send me a message if interested and I can give full contact info and other pics if necessary. Thx RH

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks