• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looked at mule today

Would the other pully run a fan for cooling on the engine. Thanks
That is the more common way of engineering the installation of an alternator. Use one belt and drive the cooling fan and the alternator.

The Mule that you are looking at has two belts installed. Look at picture number 1 in your post. The cooling fan is covered by the duct work and is located approximately 1/2 way between the crankshaft pulley and the alternator. Between that fan and the "custom" crankshaft pulley is the guard for the cooling fan belt. At the rear of the "custom" crankshaft pulley is another groove for the cooling fan belt - just barely visible in your picture number 1.

DavidB

Pulley,alternator and tire are correct for the mobility enhanced mules sand fenders are missing.I have two of the upgraded and one which is not. Someone needs to do a little more research in the TM's.
DavidB

DavidB

There are various ways to add an alternator to a Mule. With just a few exceptions (and this Mule is not one of them), alternators were not installed on Mules. Therefore, the "engineering" involved with the installation of the alternator was however they wanted to do it.

Incorrect information, common Govt upgrade.
DavidB

There are various ways to add an alternator to a Mule. With just a few exceptions (and this Mule is not one of them), alternators were not installed on Mules. Therefore, the "engineering" involved with the installation of the alternator was however they wanted to do it.

Incorrect information, common Govt upgrade.
DavidB
Always looking to learn about my Mule.

Got a reference for this common Govt upgrade? My Mule is a 1968 A-5, so no battery or alternator for it, when purchased by the government.

I am off to a parade with my MB. I will check back later.

Landbarger

SUPER COOL example! I can't believe someone has a mule with a recoilless rifle and it's covered in elephant water cans and birdseed. Looks like it would make an excellent complement to the Jeep cave...

nickd

Thank you David B for your input! The mules original design did not require a battery. Akin to a pull start lawn mower the magneto produces the spark to start and and maintain the spark to ignite the fuel. Alternators and Prestolite starters were added later by design to mules for the TOW weapons system that required 12 volts to power the missile guidance box. As David B mentioned, the dual pulley with the alternator housed in the sheet metal enclosure shown on the rear left of the engine IS the correct configuration.

Alternators hanging off the side of the engine block, dual foot baskets, passenger seats, headlights, tail lights, directional signals, winch mounts, trailer hitches, windshields, heaters, glove boxes, VW engines, M151 seats, bench seats and a slew of anything else you can imagine, are options not included in the original design of the mule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks