• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch mounting plates

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am getting up orders so I can laser cut mounting plates for the warn series 18 winches. If you need a custom size winch plate made let me know and I can draw it up and make it. I will post prices based on size and location used in a classified add later. I will also put the prices on my website www.surviveforanotherday.com.

Last edited:

grendel

Yep, I am in. I am removing the hydro winch from an M932A2 and would like one of these. Have a pic of one installed?

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can take one. Primarily we use 6 5/8" structural bolts (better than grade eight that bolt the plate to the frame rail ( 3 on each side). The hole closest to the bumper matches the gusset hole and the others are spaced to match the existing gusset. Eight holes are cut to mount the winch feed and grade 12.9 bolts are used to attach the winch to the plate. I am making a mod to the plate for the folks that would like to mount to the back of the bumper. An oval will cut to allow the cable to feed in that position. It also makes it easier to carry :). Since the laser is used there are better clearance tolerances than when drilling. I have custom 10.25" frame extensions that match the bumper and extend it so the winch is nice and tucked inside. They require 11 structural bolts on each side. The attach to 5 holes that are already present in the frame in a side ways V pattern for optimal strength.

winch_mounted (3).jpgwarn18feet.PNGwarn-front.jpg
The extensions look the same but they now have 3 bolts on the bottom. This was done with channel before the plate was designed. This one used 2 bolts which is not sufficient. That is why we changed to 3. Also socket head bolts could tear into this design where the holes were not in tolerance. Pulling 15k to 18k brings out the good and bad in just about any design. That is why we went from 4 frame attachment bolts to 5 and 4 to 6 plate attachment bolts. Since the bolts are metric that are used in the winch we went to 12.9 for the 8 bolts. I also designed a full gusset that covers the entire bottom of bumper to make it very very strong. It also matches the additional frame bolts in our frame extensions. Currently it is standard 1/4" plate. I may cut out some diamond plate for the top and mock it up. I have not finished the design for the top yet as I want an access hinged door for the winch to be built in. I will post that soon. Currrently I have to raise the door section. This price does not include frame extensions or gussets. I will update the post for all of it. Primarily now I have 3 installations and it is saves us all money to cut an entire sheet at once over a plate at a time. This stuff is heavy!!

Last edited:

Landbarger

Just as a bit of market feedback, I would be way more interested in this if the frame extensions were part of the sales pitch. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a large piece of heavy channel or plate that I could use as a mounting bracket (rear mount under my bed) but haven't yet looked seriously at a front mount arrangement. If you were marketing more of a "kit" where I buy it, remove my bumper, mount your chassis, add a winch, and re-mount my bumper I would find that convenience much harder to ignore. 2cents

grendel

Just as a bit of market feedback, I would be way more interested in this if the frame extensions were part of the sales pitch. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a large piece of heavy channel or plate that I could use as a mounting bracket (rear mount under my bed) but haven't yet looked seriously at a front mount arrangement. If you were marketing more of a "kit" where I buy it, remove my bumper, mount your chassis, add a winch, and re-mount my bumper I would find that convenience much harder to ignore. 2cents
I thought that's what this was? A complete kit.

I guess that I am out. I can build it all myself, since I have to start building the channels.

I'd pay more, to not have to think about it.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a reason nobody seems to want to mount under the front end? I really don't want to add any more length to the truck, and wanted to mount underneath with the fairlead mounted coming out the front below the hood catch. Seems to be a ton of real-estate under there.

01abeca9c2dbf6a785281d149a04fa167c526f215e.jpg

Landbarger

Hard Head,

Could someone use your mounting plate to fit between the frame rails and attach an electric winch upside down underneath the frame?? I'm not familiar with the interference of that front cross member.

If you could do that without the frame extensions and maybe keep the price down, do you think you could sell more mounts? Just wondering aloud at this point.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I mount the rear winch either up or down depending on how much room you have between the frame and bed of the truck. I can use the same one for both. I am out of 3/4 but I have a 4x10 piece of 5/8. I think it is really good enough. If you want I can weld a piece of 1" angle down the middle like a v which will definitely stiffen it up. That saves $30 of the raw cost of the steel just for the plate.

This is a frame extension for the 939 with all structural mounting bolts. Colors are Tan, Black, Green, or Brown. If you don't specify I just prime them black.
frame_extension.jpg
You will need to drill one addition hole in your frame for top/bottom torque control bolts. I send instructions.
Plates are in various sizes and patterns depending if they cover the bottom of the winch extension or not.
Includes:
Structural bolts, washer, and nuts that connect the plate to the frame extensions.
Grade 12.9 socket head bolts with lock washers for mounting the winch.

I use to use just frame rail under the truck but it can catch things and was harder to mount than plate. Also I can set the plate inside the rails so the frame is holding the weight all the time and not the bolts. It is also easier to set the winch in there than having to use jacks or clamps to hold it up while you bolt it in. Winch and plate are around 230lbs. Not easy to hold over your head! Just mark the holes first with the plate as a template, drill them, then put the winch / plate in place and bolt. Safer and easier to do than the picture below.

rear under bed.jpg

I am working on a full gusset plate to go under and across the entire stock 5 ton bumper. This protects from bottoming out in the mud and increasing the ramming ability of the bumper. It also allows for a angle skip plate to go under the bumper to deflect unwanted objects and add protection for the air brake system components. I am making a top gusset which will have a access door for the winch spool control. It will use some 1/4" diamond plate so you can stand on the bumper / mount goodies / vices / etc. It will look awesome when done. I should have that done in a couple weeks. I have 2 mrap rg31 / 33 bumpers I am welding together to make one massive front bumper for a truck. When done I will work on mine again :(

Forgot to mention you have to cover the hole in your bumper with a fairlead mounting plate. I just made armored bumper plates that are cut for the farilead out of 3/8 AR500 I will do the layout and cut out the mounting plates and a few fairlead plates! I have 6 installs so I have to get cutting! Running out of winches fast. I have sold 618 now! I got 28 more on a destruction bid. Some look brand new others make great rear winches since they have a few scratches. Not bad actually. I didn't get as good of a deal this time. These are getting harder to find in great shape.

I also make a 4/0 wiring kit 2- 16' (3/8" lugs) and 1 - 24" (3/8" 5/16" lugs) + 350 amp continuous battery disconnect switch + shipping for installing in a deuce or 5 ton. I can also rig a slave receptacle so you can power either the front or back using your slave cable. Usually I can ship the winch, mounting brackets and bolts, and wiring for around $240 freight on average.

As a note, I put Severe Duty 18's on land cruisers that were used in a Amazon rain forest crossing. They were nice imported 24v diesel Toyotas. They loved them! I just want a Toyota Hilux (the preferred military vehicle of our enemy)!!!

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You cannot access the spool control. You can power in an out. I will measure mine to see if there is really enough room. The radiator and hood mounts are overhead. The hood retaining arm catch will need to be relocated and the arm shortened since the fairlead will be located in it's current location.. Also there is less ground clearance in the front than back of the truck. The main thing about using frame extensions was accessibility and a tightly tucked bumper that doesn't kill the angle of attack. I will see if it can be done. I will let you know tomorrow.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be awesome! I have no problem paying for "bolt and go". I'm thinking of doing front and rear. But I'm dead set on getting it under that front end. I'll look forward to your word!
You cannot access the spool control. You can power in an out. I will measure mine to see if there is really enough room. The radiator and hood mounts are overhead. The hood retaining arm catch will need to be relocated and the arm shortened since the fairlead will be located in it's current location.. Also there is less ground clearance in the front than back of the truck. The main thing about using frame extensions was accessibility and a tightly tucked bumper that doesn't kill the angle of attack. I will see if it can be done. I will let you know tomorrow.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Grendel and TwistedOaks, Not enough room to fully tuck the winch between the radiator and bumper! The hood pivot bracket is directly in the way. It is mounted center of the frame. We may be able to use a few inches of space there which would mean some cutting and welding for the winch bracket. You would have to hang the winch down which would be around 7 or 8 inches below the bottom of the bumper if we can tuck it or 11" if we cannot. My large fairlead plate is 10" x 25.5". You would need to increase the height to the same depth that the winch hangs and add some angle or square stock to make a frame around the winch. I could add some 1/4" steel plate to protect the winch on the bottom and sides. We could then use a warn remote clutch kit (see image) to allow access to the clutch or we could make a access door. If you want it I can build it! I can even make the front fairlead plate out of 3/8" AR500 to keep flying lead, copper, rocks, or tree stumps from taking it out :) PM me if you are serious. If you have the money I have the time! I am very reasonable and I have an electrical, mechanical, and ceramic engineer that can verify integrity before you need it! We will test the installation and usability on a 939 series truck before you get it.

Last edited:

86m1028

I am getting up orders so I can laser cut mounting plates for the warn series 18 winches. They are 3/4" thick and 8.5 x 33.75 long to fit between the frame. You can also use them to hang a rear winch under the bed. $225 each + shipping. If you need a custom size winch plate made let me know and I can draw it up and make it. It was costing me $125 each in labor to outsource the drilling and plasma cleanup. I sold them for $275. So you can save $50 per plate on a precise laser cut plate. PM me if you are interested or have any requests.
I would be interested in 1 for the rear of an M925 BUT would like to see pics of one installed.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am making some rear plates. They are 33" to fit inside or 33.75 will fit under the frame rail. The difference in front and back were we sandwich another frame rail over the front existing rail instead of butt joining it. You just slide the winch on the plate inside the frame between the bed cross members and the winch fits in there. The cable clears the cross members. You can cut out a section under the rear of the tailgate above the pintle hitch or you can fabricate the fairlead under the pintle. See pics (the tan truck is done with a piece of frame rail. If you want to do all the drilling I can sell you a stick of it. The difference now is just it is flat and perfect! You can rest the winch and plate in the rail while you bolt it. The green truck is a bobbed deuce. Ricky wanted multiple hitches and no issues with tailgate interference. The winch is mounted the same way. The fairlead is not!

rear winch side view completed.jpgrear under bed.jpgrear cable over frame.jpgrear mounted.jpgRicky_finished_rear.jpgrickey_rear_pieces.jpg

74M35A2

I thought advertising something with a price was only supposed to be in the classifieds? If somebody really wants the original M939 front frame extensions and frame pieces for winch mounting, I have it as a complete set as what would be needed to convert a 923 into a 925. I bought a 936 front hydro winch to mount under my bed in the rear, and it came as a complete frame cut of the main frame forward all the way to the front bumper, and I am only using the winch. It is not cheap, but if you absolutely have to have the real McCoy, I have it. PM for pricing. I was not going to sell it, but I see a few people here holding out for it.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought advertising something with a price was only supposed to be in the classifieds? If somebody really wants the original M939 front frame extensions and frame pieces for winch mounting, I have it as a complete set as what would be needed to convert a 923 into a 925. I bought a 936 front hydro winch to mount under my bed in the rear, and it came as a complete frame cut of the main frame forward all the way to the front bumper, and I am only using the winch. It is not cheap, but if you absolutely have to have the real McCoy, I have it. PM for pricing. I was not going to sell it, but I see a few people here holding out for it.
Well we don't have a factory mounting option for the Warn Severe Duty 18 except for the BAE MRAP Bracket that mounts on a Caiman or the RG33 Bumper mount. I have them. Many Deuce owners love them. Quick and easy. The 925 conversion is designed for the Hydraulic winch and we are working out ways to mount the smaller 18K 200 lb electric winch. I bought the original frame extensions and sold them since they didn't work for me with this conversion. Warn does not make a mounting plate for these winches. So I hand made, then invested in technology, and now I can accurately make plates for any winch they have. I also sell them to other Warn dealers. I am not trying to compete in the hydraulic space. I sold over 600 Severe Duty winches around the world and many of them went to Military truck owners. I put them on my 923A2. Lots of them were installed on 1 1/4 ton trucks, trailers, skid loaders, forklifts, Police MRAPS, unimogs, trailer trains in Australia, and who knows what else. So I primarily started this thread to discuss custom mounting plates and it grew into pricing a kit. It is a learning experience for me to as I am getting to hear what people like and dislike. I did learn that some folks don't want to extend the bumper at all. My mechanical engineer talked to me for 2 hours about all the issues. We can share installation pics. Hard to do this in a classified ad. I will put several ads out here and on my website after the thread is over with complete prices. I want to give customers what they want. This lets us think out of the box.

So no more prices guys until we weigh the pros and cons of different ways to mount and we come up with alternate ways to do it. You can PM me for Caiman parts, bumpers, standard extensions, front or rear plates at any time. I will post the low profile extension, plate, and bumper fairlead attachment plate in standard 5/8" steel as soon as I finish cutting a few of them. Cutting a whole sheet is cheaper for me and you due to labor and setup time. That is another reason I wanted to see if anyone was interested before I make more.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks