• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WD40 paint refresh

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1481.jpgDSCF1482.jpgDSCF1479.jpgDSCF1478.jpgDSCF1477.jpg The paint on my deuce is Aervoe woodland green (faded to grey) and it's about 2 1/2 years old. I was getting ready to re paint so I thought I'd try the WD40 method recommended on this thread to rejuvenate the paint. As you can see the WD40 brings back some luster and color, but not quite back to the original shade of green. Instead the color is now more of an olive drab. The difference is harder to see on the air cleaner due to the sun beating down over my shoulder, but the hood shows the difference in color a bit better. To be honest I like the WD40 olive drab color better. I'll try to finish the remainder of the hood, along with the front fenders, bumper etc. in the morning, as it's just to hot in the afternoon. I'll see what the color looks like in a few weeks after sitting in the hot summer sun, and I'll post some more pics to see how well the WD40 holds up. So far I think this may be a good way to get a few more miles out of a paint job, and if it holds up for at least 3 months I'll be happy.......we'll see. :wink:

Bobert

I mentioned this is the paint section but thought I'd post here as well. The paint on my M998 was looking faded, almost chaulky in places. Somebody in the paint section mentioned he heard spraying it down with WD40 will give it a fresh look. I gave it a shot and it works miracles. I'm not sure if the picture does a good job showing the improvement but in person it is significant. Basically sprayed it down with WD40, let it sit overnight and wiped it down. Had a light WD40 smell for a day but that has gone away. Not sure how long it will last.

View attachment 630859View attachment 630860
How is it looking now?

rhinob

So seeing some recent comments on this thread, I decided to ask my Marine buddy what they dress the their vehicles with before inspections. He said they use a material called "Rust Free" by Bioshield. I ordered a gallon and tried it out. It's impressive. Note specifically the brown in the photo. I also noticed the rust and rust stains were wiping off of the steel bits as I worked it in. I'm very impressed. It's not cheap, and you need to do it in a well ventilated area and wear some latex gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-RF...472776541&sr=8-1&keywords=Rust+free+bioshield

Attachments

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The application of anything on the paint for inspections is unauthorized, it even states so in the paint and CARC application TB.....just sayin

Lawdog734

The application of anything on the paint for inspections is unauthorized, it even states so in the paint and CARC application TB.....just sayin
That was my experience when I was in 15 years ago. We were going to use diesel fuel before a battalion commanders inspection to freshen up the look. The motor pool SNCOIC, was very quick to remind everyone that doing so was unauthorized. I'd guess it's no different now. Then again, we did use oven cleaner in our barracks room showers to clean our .50's for the same inspection and that was very much unauthorized too.

rhinob

Fortunately we have no such rule around here. He was right. It really works great. Apparently the Navy uses it a lot too. Unauthorized, no doubt.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 632195View attachment 632196View attachment 632197View attachment 632198View attachment 632200 The paint on my deuce is Aervoe woodland green (faded to grey) and it's about 2 1/2 years old. I was getting ready to re paint so I thought I'd try the WD40 method recommended on this thread to rejuvenate the paint. As you can see the WD40 brings back some luster and color, but not quite back to the original shade of green. Instead the color is now more of an olive drab. The difference is harder to see on the air cleaner due to the sun beating down over my shoulder, but the hood shows the difference in color a bit better. To be honest I like the WD40 olive drab color better. I'll try to finish the remainder of the hood, along with the front fenders, bumper etc. in the morning, as it's just to hot in the afternoon. I'll see what the color looks like in a few weeks after sitting in the hot summer sun, and I'll post some more pics to see how well the WD40 holds up. So far I think this may be a good way to get a few more miles out of a paint job, and if it holds up for at least 3 months I'll be happy.......we'll see. :wink:
Approaching 2 months and the WD40 is fading. It looks good for about 30 days before the sun starts to wash it out, and here in Nevada we have some sun. With Camp Delta in Lodi CA. a couple weeks away, I think I'll give the WD40 another go as I don't have time to re paint. :grin:

kc5mzd

Applying diesel and other fluids has been does for years in the military to make them "parade ready"
its is mentioned in the CARC application TB or the CAMO TB, IIRC....it's say not to use diesel, brake fluid etc to enhance the paint, it's not authorized. But we used to do it all the time.
I that is how you know how something works good - when they say not to do it!!!

rhinob

You know, it's possible that the military has authorized the product my Marine friend recommended - "because we use it" - since it's biodegradable and not a petroleum product. This might not interfere with future paint work like oils and silicon. The Navy uses it for removal of rust from steel and it's very effective in keeping metal rust free, hence the name. It's impressive. It also happens to refresh faded paint.

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bringing this thread back from 2016. Completed my refresh today. Just forgot the final pictures before I put him away. Will get those tomorrow. $10 sprayer and 1 gal. WD40 and just had my son follow me around with some old rags (old socks work well) and run over the heavy spots. Lowe's had the best price. Cheaper than amazon and Walmart.
IMG_6733.jpgIMG_6732.jpgIMG_6730.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks