• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WD40 paint refresh

Farnorth

Boiled linseed oil works wonders. Looks like the WD40 treatment, but actually dries, and stays looking that way. Dust doesn't stick to it after drying a couple of days. Available at any home improvement store and is usually used on wood as a waterproofer and protectant.

I usually get a pump sprayer and get a gallon of either WD40 or PB blaster and spray down the complete truck underside and all. it really helps and keeps things lubricated. nice thing about WD40 is I'm pretty sure its water based so a little soap and water it will wash off. I have been doing this for years on my 5 ton. it does last a while but one thing is you have to wash it off every once and a while and re-apply because it will start to mold on the paint. I re-apply about once every 6 months and there are no issues with touching up the paint if needed.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boiled linseed oil works wonders. Looks like the WD40 treatment, but actually dries, and stays looking that way. Dust doesn't stick to it after drying a couple of days. Available at any home improvement store and is usually used on wood as a waterproofer and protectant.
Thanks Farnorth, sounds like it's worth a try.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2422.jpg Tried the Boiled Linseed Oil this morning on the passenger side door and I was surprised how well the color came back. As you can see, the elevation here is 4300 ft. and the sun really bleaches out the Woodland Green paint. Turns it pinkish. So get your rag soaked with oil, and use a little elbow grease and rub it in. If it still looks good in the morning I'll do the rest of the truck.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how did it look the next day?
DSCF2423.jpg I got the complete right side of the cab finished today, and I hope to finish the left hand side tomorrow. The last couple days the weather has been hot and humid with late afternoon thunder showers, and that limits the amount of time I can spend out doors. Got new wheels and tires going on the front axle and I'll have them finished before they go on.

Farnorth

I’m not sure about the soft top, but I don’t see why not. The product is just flax oil that is heat treated. You could always try a small area and see how it works. If I had to guess, I’d say it would work just fine. May even help preserve the fabric, just like it does for wood.

Crapgame

WD40 isn't water based, it is a Water Displacer, many use it during the parkerizing process, sprayed on the steel part after it is pulled from the acid solution and rinsed, the WD40 raises any water to the surface and whatever petroleum distillate in it prevents the steel from rusting.

I served two tours of duty in the Berlin Brigade (Feb 89-Dec 90; Oct 92-June 94), aside from being tough and nit-picky, we had parade season every year. We would have the Allied Forces Day Parade on 17 June downtown from the Brandenburg Gate then Westward, then 4th of July Parade on the huge asphalt drill field next to our barracks in Lichterfelde, names Platz des 4. Juli 4th of July Place (or square). So for the whole month proceeding the parades we'd be practicing at Company level, then battalion, then full dress rehersal as Brigade level (entire Allied Forces for the 17 June parade).

Dress was Class A Greens, Infantry Blue Ascot, PASGT Helmet with brand new woodland camo cover, M16A2 Rifle with fixed M9 Bayonet, spit-shined Jumpboots. There would be a few examples of each vehicle type driven in the parades, from slant back HMMWVs, M113A2 (and M125A2 81mm mortar tracks and M106 4.2in mortar tracks), M1 Tanks, 5ton wreckers, M88 Tank Recovery Vehicle, and the Allied equivilents. So the chosen vehicles wound up getting sent to the 3 shop for a fresh paint job in the NATO 3 color camo, and the vehicle crews would go beyond the fresh paint for the dog and pony shows.

I've seen everything from using black boot polish on the HMMWV tires and the track rubber roadwheels, WD40 on the paint, even baby oil or Future Floor Wax used on the paint and vinyl rag tops. Everything was polished up, shiny, not flat green factory finish. WD40 being a petroleum distillate probably wasn't very good for the PVC coated nylon used to make the rag tops then and now.

Future liquid floor wax would dry, change colors, crack then flake off. Baby oil (mineral oil plus additives) would become dull after a few days but just took a shammy-like rag wiping on a fresh coat to bring it back. It also helped water to bead off not leave spots but it didn't damage the PVC-coated nylon rag tops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks