• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC powder coating

Does anyone know a source for CARC powder coating?
There's someone locally here that does powder coating but I'm guessing I'd have to supply the powder...
I know that sherwin williams sells standard CARC formulas.
Thanks!

aleigh

WS does indeed sell CARC paint (that's where I buy mine), but Hentzen came up with the powder. I'd start by calling them.

You haven't stated your application but my guess is you want something to match - in which case it may be simpler for you to find a PC supplier that just matches the paint dye. The colors are all standard. I am a big proponent of real CARC paint, but, mostly because you can spray it over old CARC as a base, it has a unique finish and texture property, and finally, the newer CARC formulations fade less in the sun than the competing paints. For PC... it doesn't seem to have any of these benefits unless you really need to decon it or whatever.

Free advice, if this is going to be in the weather, I'd look into the UV fastness of whatever you use (including CARC PC)... The different CARC products seem to have wildly different fade profiles so it doesn't seem to be something the military takes seriously when they are specifying the products. You may find the CARC PC is worse off than a civilian coating.

aleigh

no one sells CARC , there are a few that mimic the look less the toxicity. Gillespie Coatings - enamel 383 green is one
No one sells CARC huh? Then how is it I walked downstairs and took this picture?

CARC paint - and OP is asking about powder coating - CARC paint is no more toxic than any other 2K paint system.

20160702_122513.jpg

So originally I was looking into CARC for my HMMWV, but the powder coating is specifically an idea I'm researching for some "tactical" aluminum folding chairs I've designed. they are for indoor outdoor use.
The feel and durability of CARC is something that I've grown very fond of and it may also be a good selling point...
These chairs may be something I'll continue making for years to come so a reliable source is a must.
I guess standard powder-coating is already a very durable finish but can I get it as flat in black as CARC?

Btw, for the undercarriage of my HMMWV i decided to test the "newer" Rustoleum ultra flat camo black in spray cans. seems ok for now, if it doesn't age well I'll probably clean and paint with CARC. decided to paint it only because there was a lot of tan overspray where normally the suspension is black. truck has 7,900 miles and is mint condition as far as i'm concerned. off subject as usual lol!
Thanks for the replies!

aleigh

Yes, you can get matte black PC. It is very common.

I use the flat black rustoleum high temp stuff - I think they mean it for grills - on the underside of my jeeps. Works a peach.

Doesn't the high heat stuff require heat treatment to fully cure? I think it needs to be heated to like 300 degrees a few times for 20 minutes with 30 minute cooling intermissions in between?

aleigh

The spec sheet for whatever you end up going with would/should say. It may vary between vendors. Careful because a lot of times they list substrate temp, which is how hot the item can get after the PC is done with. So you don't PC your exhaust manifold etc. That's not the cure temp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks