• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1030B1 Motorcycle

TechEngr

I just picked up my first piece of memorabilia. I'd like to hear some guidance regarding proper restoration (what important and what isn't).
Also, does anyone know where I can scrounge up a TM on this fun machine? Thanks!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the Kombat Kawasaki Klub now that you have a 650, the 250 is a much better off road dual bike. Unless you are planing to ride it off road a lot, ditch the knobbies (I know they look cooler) for street tires, but first time on a 90 turn at speed with some sand and pea gravel, you will thank me. Take it with a grain of sand as I am an old fart and don't bounce anymore, just break and have the plate a screws to prove it. Unless you have a long inseam you may want lowering links or letting the front tubes stick up above the triple tree a couple inches. One of the cooler things is getting the front respoked to 17 like the rear someone on here has done it. Pictures not mine USAF1030B1.jpg one of mine armybike.jpg
Krylon Fusion camouflage paint works well on the bike and plastic with proper prep.

Last edited:

TechEngr

You've got a good looking bike. Your headlight is different from mine. I have blackout lights on mine.

How would you deal with some paint damage due to battery acid leaking? How would you prepare the bike for painting?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Dave, were those dual lights original on that bike? (As in military original, not factory).

Cheers
Yep that is one of 2 sets that came in all the parts I got and from what I can tell it was rangers that did it, it was also 1 of 2 that the swing arm data plate stated " military motorcycle" and matched frame and motor in sand. all the others swing arms have "Marine Corps Motorcycle" Only one piece of side plastic had Army on it also, bike lights.jpg ranger-motorcycle.jpg this and my avatar are the only pictures I have seen like it and I think both are the M1030 250's. Also noticed that a couple had orange strobes mounted on the headlight shroud or rear fender figured they were USMC MP bikes as a couple of tanks were marked that way.

For the frame even though it has been awhile pack it with Bicarb and water paste, later sand to bare metal use POR or Extend next day if dimples use spot putty then primer, then paint
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?62581-USMC-logos-on-M1030B1-KLR650-fuel-tanks&highlight=

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks