• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power to windshield sprayer but wiper motor not working. Which pins do i check?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the life of me I cannot find anywhere in any of the tm's diagnosing the wiper motor, which pins should have power. The sprayer works but wipers don't. If the sprayer has power shouldn't the wiper motor too? I have two pins going into the bottom of the wiper switch, I have four pins at the wiper motor coming from the switch I guess for the various wiper speeds. Is the switch possibly bad and the motor is fine? I don't know which pins to test on what switch setting.

WAGNUM

IMG_0987.jpgIMG_0986.jpg
I had the same problem last year when I got my M998. Pull the pins on your windshield hinges, fold down your windshield, and clean the the three button contact points. As my photo shows, mine were packed full of dirt. Cleaned it up and the motor worked like new. Also, put some electrical grease on the contact points. You can also pull out the motor, run jumper wires from your batteries and check if the motor itself is still good. Remember to run your jumper wires so you get 24v! Rear battery negative post, front battery positive post. If your new to the HMMWV's 24v system, get used to using your multimeter to test everything before hooking it up. Gud luk

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 632487View attachment 632486
I had the same problem last year when I got my M998. Pull the pins on your windshield hinges, fold down your windshield, and clean the the three button contact points. As my photo shows, mine were packed full of dirt. Cleaned it up and the motor worked like new. Also, put some electrical grease on the contact points. You can also pull out the motor, run jumper wires from your batteries and check if the motor itself is still good. Remember to run your jumper wires so you get 24v! Rear battery negative post, front battery positive post. If your new to the HMMWV's 24v system, get used to using your multimeter to test everything before hooking it up. Gud luk
But I have power to the switch, so doesn't that preclude those contacts being dirty? Your sprayer worked but the wipers didn't? Okay that's weird, why are there three contact points, when the switch only has two contact points to it? Is one a ground?

Last edited:

WAGNUM

The ground wire comes off the wiper motor housing and attaches with a ring terminal to your window frame. I can't remember if my sprayer worked or not at the time. Not sure if my solution will solve your problem, but you could always give it a try...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your water bottle has 2 wires to the motor...the WS wiper motor has 3 wires. P, W and G.

P=27 park, low,
W=71 washer
G=57 grnd

sounds like maybe your motor is bad....but as other have stated, clean those contact connectors under the Ws frame.
also, I don't use those connectors anymore, I wire them hard to the harness so I don't get these issues.
i don't put my WS down....ever.
the slantback connections are hard wired....only the soft tops use that type of button contact.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I ordered a new motor since I was getting power to the motor...... I couldn't find the **** TM on removing the motor, thought the motor arm just pressed into the wiper arms, so I pulled it out and ping.......Looked again for the TM and finally found it, that ping I heard was the clip flying off..... I looked all over the truck and ran a magnet down the channel in the windshield. No luck finding the clip of course. Where does the clip fairy usually put that clip if you're stupid enough just to pull the motor out prying with a screwdriver?????
Well anyway, I plug the new motor in....NOTHING....what the heck! I saw in the tm that a ground wire that was cut off my wiring used to go to the motor, so I figured out since theres a wire grounding the window frame, I need to bolt it in and check. Put one bolt in and presto new motors working. So it was the old motor after all. I'd love to reassemble it but now I have to wait on a new clip. Wanna bet after I get the new clip and plastic pieces I find it?

DustyH1

I’m having similar issues. I have zero power to my windshield wiper motor/ pump. I folded down the WS and cleaned the 3 point connections. Raised the WS and made sure to turn power on. Still no power to wipers or washer pump!
Everything else in the truck works as it should.

My second issue is my brake indicator light in the dash. Once the parking brake is pushed all the way forward... light stays on. I ordered a new rotary switch today. Still not sure if that will fix it. Ideas?

Last edited:

rcamacho

I’m having similar issues. I have zero power to my windshield wiper motor/ pump. I folded down the WS and cleaned the 3 point connections. Raised the WS and made sure to turn power on. Still no power to wipers or washer pump!
Everything else in the truck works as it should.

My second issue is my brake indicator light in the dash. Once the parking brake is pushed all the way forward... light stays on. I ordered a new rotary switch today. Still not sure if that will fix it. Ideas?
Did you use a multimeter to test that you actually had power at the three point contact switch before putting the windshield back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DustyH1

Did you use a multimeter to test that you actually had power at the three point contact switch before putting the windshield back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually I didn’t! What is the best way to test it? I have a multimeter but I have never tested one of these. How should I go about it?

And thanks ahead for your response!

DustyH1

Actually I didn’t! What is the best way to test it? I have a multimeter but I have never tested one of these. How should I go about it?

And thanks ahead for your response!
Also I noticed that there are two sets of contacts, 3 points connected to the windshield and 3 more connected to the dash. I cleaned both. But I will test them once I know how.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My windshield wiper motor works, but sprayer but doesn’t. Sprayer button doesn’t retract. Any suggestions?
There is an early and late style motor assembly.....Which is it ?
Round knob, or T type knob ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks