• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

antenna mount

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not authorized but it looks good and works very well for both HF (+CB) and VHF. The mounts are the large "sugar scoops" and the top and bottom edges just fit the C channel of the bumper for convenient weld-on. The cables can be routed behind the bumper and up under the fender to keep them away from the engine, and enter the cab at the back.

You will have no issues on VHF (PRC-25/77, RT524, etc) in convoy. I talked from Texas to a guy in Ohio with the HF one and a regular 100 watt ham radio.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a tie down off the front bumper.. Clears them just fine.. Imagine the "Pole Mounted" ones, they hit EVERYTHING, tied down or not...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For that, you can find a non working VRC 12 series antenna base and antenna, or a SINCGARS base and antenna... Since functionality isnt important, you should be able to find one cheap!

67Beast

For my non functioning one, I have it mounted to the front of the headache rack. That gets it just high enough to clear the side window while tied down. But is not so high as to hit low things. I can run parades with the ant up and a flag off it and clear wires and streetlights.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hum...mount it on the headache rack...I like that idea. BTW, really nice looking truck!

Cdub

I do like the side bed mount for the antenna. There are a few guys in the MTA with deuces that have them mounted in that same place.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my five ton bed and antenna.

Attachments

67Beast

I have seen several trucks with it mounted on the pass. side front section of the box. But I wanted to pull my ant. forward and was affraid to get it to close to the exhaust. Putting it on the driver side box would have interfeared with opening and closing the door while tied down. And for some reason, I just did not like having the ant. pulled towards the back for tie down. Plus I had found a pic on the net showing a truck with the ant mounted driverside and pulled forward and I really like that look so that's what I copied. With it on the corner of the headache rack, I can stil put the canvas down without it interfearing.

Attachments

Jones

TBs not withstanding-- a lot of stuff gets done in the field because it works, not because some engineer in a lab-perfect environment says this is the way it should be. Probably 90% of my MVs have embodied one premier rule of Murphy's Laws of Combat; If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
My hat's off to museum-grade restorations. I think that attention to detail is fantastic and worthy of admiration when we get to see something in pristine condition, just as it rolled off of the Kaiser or Ford or Northrup assembly line.
There's a lot to be said though for something that has the look of a battle-tested MV complete with the little personal touches that soldiers give to something they live with and depend on; and often it's those vehicles that most of us can identify with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks