• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Arctic Heater Info Compilation Thread

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan, a full blown kit includes hard top, hood and radiator covers, cab insulation, alcohol evaporator, personnel heater, coolant and oil pan heater. That makes a total of two separate fuel burning heaters, the one for the engine is not used when the engine is running. The battery box is also replaced with a coolant heated one (at least on the 8x8).
There are pictures in most TMs, but you are right, don't think I have seen one complete set of instructions. The manuals for the 8x8 come close, but all three manuals are needed, the -10, -20 and the -34.
There is also a kit for the cargo compartment for the deuce, got a Vintage Video showing it....

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I guess most people get most of these goodies from other kits that do a partial job. I am trying to mainly answer questions about the personnel heater, and the coolant/oil heater. I must be looking at the wrong TMs as the one I found has no pics.
-The fuel burning personnel heater on the M35 goes where the more common M35 coolant personnel heater is located, correct?
-Where is the fuel burning coolant/oil heater mounted?
-Does the fuel burning coolant/oil heater contain its own coolant pump, or does it need an external one?
-If a M35 was equipped with both the common coolant run cab heater and the coolant/oil heater would there be any reason both could not be run to heat the cab when the engine is shut down? The only worry that I can think of with that is exhaust gases being pulled into the cab.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These images from the 1965 -10 manual may help answer some questions.
There is very little chance of getting exhaust fumes mixed with the hot air, the systems are well separated.
The "emergency" shut down switch shown in one image is only used in case of chemical/nuclear attach when the air is contaminated. Power is shut off to the fan. Normal shut-down takes 2 to 3 minutes as the heater runs to purge itself of fuel....
One fuel pump is used with shut-off cocks so that only one heater is served at a time. The engine heater is operated first to warm the engine and then shut down. The fuel shut-off valves are next set to run the personnel heater. It only takes seconds to heat the cab with this unit.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does convection actually work well in a deuce? I would imagine a pump even if external would be prefered even if it cost a few more amps. I was looking at my battery compartment compared to the above picture of the mounted heater, and it certainly does not look like there would be enough room for both the heater and battery box.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan, the batteries are moved into the crew compartment, under the companion seat.
I'll check on the convection thing, heating the oil pan will let warm exhaust spill out and warm the rest of the engine too.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
some engines do not have a water pump and rely on convection to circulate water through the radiator for cooling. this is probably the main reason the heater was mounted low in relation to the water jacket of the engine.

jwaller

cranetruck said:
Ethan, the batteries are moved into the crew compartment, under the companion seat.
I'll check on the convection thing, heating the oil pan will let warm exhaust spill out and warm the rest of the engine too.
this is interesting. is the box sealed and vented? do you have a pic or location of a pic for this. I'd like to see how it was done. might do this to mine for some strange reason.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
For me the battery relocation is a big problem, so I would have to find another solution. I plan to remove the bench and replace it with a spring ride, so I lose that space where the batteries could go. I would think of making a more compact heater installation, and perhaps making a smaller battery boxes.

On the other hand relocating the battery could free up a second storage compartment where the batteries were. I would make an enclosed box for passenger compartment with a drain/vent line going through the floor.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I have been poking at this for a few days now, so I thought I should mention I just won one of these units. Just the heater though, so I will have to figure out the installation. It takes the 5 plug cable. I am working on a cable now, but don't yet have any leads on the controller. I currently have the 5 plug controller made by Benmar MP that has one on/off switch, a light indicator, and a resetalbe breaker, but it does not match the one above in Bjorns pics. Anyone have a manual for this thing?

South Wind Coolant Heater Model 939J24
Total Output 23,000 BTU
Coolant Output 15,000 BTU
Army No 11601698
Fuel Pressure 3 lbs min. 15 lbs max
Negative Ground Only
Amps 11 (Start) Run (1.5)
Serial # 8815

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anyone have any of the controllers? It is the last piece I need. Mine is not for coolant heating, so I guess I would need the dual speed one.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
The pic that Bjorn posted above clearly shows a controller labeled as the engine heater. It show one switch being HI/LO, a light, and then a START/OFF/RUN switch. Once I have the heater at home I should have a better idea on this though as it appears to have the wiring diagram on the data plate. The wire I hope to get has the 5pin connector and a seperate wire, so I guess that is the one. I will have to keep my eyes open for a 24V coolant pump. My idea is to use this to heat the cab at a reststop perhaps, so that I can turn off the truck, and imagine forced coolant flow would be more reliable then convection.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I apparantly have TMphobia like many around here. I overcame my fear of 700-1500page manuals with a little help from some of the guys last evening. Wow! I think I have most the information I need for this. I have the routing of wire/exhaust/fuel, needed controllers, locations, etc. The only thing that I would still like to find is the manual from South Wind for the actual heater. Bjorns pics of the needed controller are correct where it needs a HI/LO and a START/OFF/RUN switches.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan, why don't you plan a trip to my place, I'm only a couple of hours away and I can show the projects you are working on as installed on my vehicles, the HIAB, the alcohol evaporator, the fuel burning heater etc...
I'm here most of the time generally speaking. Do a mapquest for zip 24120.

Trango

Hey guys,

Could anyone be so kind as to post a quick description of how these run? Meaning, (on the convection ones) does the fan come on first, and then the fuel runs for a bit, and then the ignitor come on? Also, what is the shutdown sequence? Pure observation would work for me.

Also, do you need a seperate fuel pump to run these, or are they happy to be on the return line from the engine?

Thanks a ton,
Bob

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, it works like this, first push the light on the controller to make sure it is working and there is voltage.
Next hold the momentary contact switch in "start" position, it will turn on the fuel pump, the blower (runs at reduced speed) and the ignitor. The "HI/LO" switch should be in "LO".
Some of the fuel is soaked up by a wick, which is close to the ignitor (works like a cigarette lighter in a car) and some of the fuel is vaporized. After about 30 seconds you'll see smoke from the exhaust and soon you hear the fan increasing speed and the light on the controller comes on as a flame has been detected. Now you'll flip the start switch to "RUN" position and you have hot air. Use "HI" for more heat.
To stop, flip the "START/OFF/RUN" switch to "OFF". The fuel pump now stops, but the fan keeps running until the flame goes out (all automatic) and after 2 to 3 minutes the units shuts down.
It can be restarted immediately if desired.

The "Emergency off" switch shuts power to everything and the unit should not be restarted right away, since an abnormal shut-down took place, fuel is still in the burner.

The heater needs its own fuel pump since it's under control of the heater. It also has its own fuel filter.
Exhaust is never mixed with the hot air, two separte pathways thru the heater.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks