• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Arctic Heater Info Compilation Thread

Trango

Bjorn, that is absolutely fantastic. I have a webasto air heater thing here that I intend to use as a combo block/cabin heater, and darn if I can't find a control module.

I suppose I can wire the fan to a SPDT switch with one pole going to a resistor to slow the fan (for startup), and then wire the controls for an auxiliary fuel pump (one is on the way from Saturn Surplus), the ignitor, and then the sensor.

Either that, or I prototype a circuit to do the whole thing with a pre-set delay for the ignitor and a logic gate that takes the input from the sensor to turn the fan on all the way... thankfully I have a few EE friends. :)

Bjorn, always a great resource!!!!

Best,
Bob

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There is/was a massive lot of these on GL lately. IIRC, the ones on GL were removed from M113 APCs - so there should be plenty of bits to go around.

The next question - WHY were they removed?

DD

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
fuel pump is on firewall with filter, just was the easiest place to put it but not closest. i plan to put a foam 'boot' between the intake and the vent screen to route fresh air to heater as defrost works better that way (outside air in winter is very dry)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok guys, I have just got the last component that I needed for my flame heater. Now I am wondering if the coolant circulating heater would be a better option. If I were to install the coolant heater, I would have a warm motor at startup and het heat for a water heater in the cab too. What do you guys think? I know Bjorn is looking for one. Maybe I could hook up some ducting from the flame heater to the motor, think that would work?

gimpyrobb

One more point to add, I just found a guy who is supposed to be able to get parts and/or service these units. I know some of you were still looking for some parts. If you want to, post up what is needed. I am going to try and have him visit the site, if not, I will ask what he charges for the parts.

gimpyrobb

Yeah, I had emailed those guys. Their prices are up there. This is a guy who is supposed to do it as a hobby. I am waiting on a return email to see what his prices are like. He seemed more down to earth. I will post back when I hear from him.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like the engine coolant heater (hot water only) has only one speed. The personal heater (hot air only), has two speeds - high & low. The engine heater works on convection and it does quite well at it. It puts out boiling coolant & the various "bubbles"of steam rise rapidly and forces the coolant through the engine. The exhaust goes to a shroud around the oil pan and pre-heats the oil. If that little exhaust pipe is not in good shape, it can leak exhaust fumes around and into the cab, while its running. Both heaters work well. I always start the personal heater on high though.

I have parts missing on my coolant heater. Also need the control box. But would like to replace the entire unit. If the truck is serious cold soaked (-50, etc.), it will take a good hours heating, to start the truck. I like to see lots of heat on them.
My earlier M211 & M37, were both equipped with a version of these heaters.

Lee in Alaska

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rosco said:
....... The engine heater works on convection and it does quite well at it. It puts out boiling coolant & the various "bubbles"of steam rise rapidly and forces the coolant through the engine. The exhaust goes to a shroud around the oil pan and pre-heats the oil.

I have parts missing on my coolant heater.
Lee in Alaska
At some point in time they must have done away with the coolant circulation pump shown in the TMs for my 8x8...

What parts are you missing, I may have something?

The concern about the exhaust fumes from around the engine when heating the oil pan is real IMHO, if the cab is not air tight or has "positive" pressure from the personnel heater.

Love the thing, just needs a little operator training to be safe.

cbvet

Coolant heater water connections?

I plan to put coolant heaters on 2 trucks. A non-turbo multifuel deuce, & a Cummins powered M813A1.
Can anyone tell me where to connect into the cooling system on these trucks?
Any help or pictures appreciated.
Eric
CBVET

cbvet

I recently got a Benmar heater control just like the one Ethan showed earlier. Doesn't have the High/Low switch as typically used with the Southwind personnel heater.
I'm thinking this may work okay with the Southwind coolant heater I have. I don't think High/Low is important for that unit.
I guess I'll need to test the output pins compared to the control for the personnel heater.
Eric
CBVET

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found the coolant heater with the proper circulation pump as called out in the 8x8 TMs (except for the correct mounting brackets, but those can be fabricated). :)
The tag states that it was tested in 1982, including for high and low speeds.

Looking forward to testing it again...

Attachments

ida34

Nice. I picked up a coolant heater with the control box on Ebay. The heater on my M818 has not fired yet. They fuel pump was disconnected. I need to check fuel flow. I also found that the light on the controller does not turn on even though the box does have power going in. I now need to sit down and take the box apart and check everything. Good catch Bjorn.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, make sure that the grounding of the control box is intact.
The lamp is tested by pushing it ("Push to test"), that way you know that the all important light works and ground is connected.
Here is the controller for the m656 (cargo), the xm757 (truck tractor) also had a fuel tank selector switch.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
Yeah, I had emailed those guys. Their prices are up there. This is a guy who is supposed to do it as a hobby. I am waiting on a return email to see what his prices are like. He seemed more down to earth. I will post back when I hear from him.
Did you ever get the contact info?....It would be nice to be able to rebuild the fuel valves I have sitting around, I can always use some spare parts, gaskets, O-rings etc....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks