• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Arctic Heater Info Compilation Thread

coachgeo

....The HI/LO ranges are applicable to the coolant heaters and a circulation pump can be installed to run in the "HI" mode.
As in all the heaters, the "HI" is locked out during the start-up phase.
Not sure when coolant pump gets activated. (hi only, low not at al, or both but with a resister slowing it down in low setting? ) Would be interesting to find out. As noted above though... at least on the 939J24.... HI is NOT locked out at start up. Apparently it starts in high

Last edited:

coachgeo

Some Pump(s) reference info for those following this. Granted this info is not Deuce... but from a M939A2 but then again this would be the most modern setup in general?

coolant Pump
NSN 4320-00-930-2045
Cagec 19207
P/N 10946835

Coolant Pump Datasheet

• Prime Mover Quantity: 1
  • Intake Connection Quantity: 1
  • Intake Connection Type: Threaded internal
  • Discharge Connection Quantity: 1
  • Discharge Connection Type: Threaded internal
  • Current Type: Dc
  • Media For Which Designed: Ethylene glycol and water, fresh
  • Pump Quantity (Needed): 1
  • Discharge Pressure: 15.0 pounds per square inch gage
  • Pumping Element Operating Position: Horizontal
  • Centrifugal Pump Design:Radial flow
  • Operation Relationship Design:Simultaneous
  • Prime Mover Type:Electric motor
  • Inclosure Type:Fully inclosed
  • Current Rating In Amps:20.0
  • Discharge Connection Thread Size And Series/type Designator:0.500-14 npt
  • Intake Connection Thread Size And Series/type Designator:0.500-14 npt
  • Voltage In Volts:24.0

Fuel Pump
NSN 2910-00-930-9367
Cagec 81349
P/N M62678-2-24N1

Electrical Fuel Pump Datasheet

• Mounting Type: Nonstandard
  • Overall Length: 3.718 inches nominal
  • Overall Height: 5.530 inches nominal
  • Overall Width: 3.160 inches nominal
  • Actuation Method: Push rod
  • Fording Feature: Not included
  • Ground Polarity Type: Negative
  • Vacuum Booster: Not included
  • Fuel Filter: Included
  • Fuel Filter Location: Bottom
  • Priming Lever: Not included
  • Inlet Connection Type/size: 0.250-18 nptf external
  • Outlet Connection Type/size: 0.250-18 nptf external
  • Drain Facility: Not included
  • Voltage In Volts: 24.0
  • Terminal Type And Quantity: 1 connector, receptacle
  • Specification/standard Data: 81349-mil-p-45328d government specification and 96906-ms51321f government standard
  • Nondefinitive Spec/std Data: 2 type

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0010.jpgAssuming the the engine coolant heater that we're talking about is some version of the South Wind, or a variant of it. This was in an M211 - a gasser, of course. Shown here today, it was parked running in the early 1980's.

I have never had a doubt the the heater could produce enough heat to provide for a start - my only doubt was that if the batteries would hold up long enough to warm the engine make the engine start, especially considering the CCA's being effected by the cold - without a back up. But when your young, one tends to just do things. I was never around a coolant heater that had a circ pump. But in those days the batteries would have been two group 24's. Otherwise the truck was in shape & sharp. The coolant heater would start routinely down to about 0*F. Less then that was sketchey. It was an honest -50*F below, and had been that way for some 30 hours. We were some 75 mile North of the Brooks Range and had been camping in an M105 with a good tarp, a large propane catalic heater that was keeping us toasty. I also had a propane weed burner and a joint of stove pipe for back up. When it came time to start the truck, of course the heater would not fire. After several attempts, and getting desperate, I gave the coolant heater a brief whiff of starting fluid, that yielded the desired effect that was deffening. I let the heater run for about 30 minutes total, but within just a few, it was percolating steam bubbles like a coffee pot.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure when coolant pump gets activated. (hi only, low not at al, or both but with a resister slowing it down in low setting? ) Would be interesting to find out. As noted above though... at least on the 939J24.... HI is NOT locked out at start up. Apparently it starts in high
When using the standard heater control box, the HI mode is locked out during start-up. The calibration of fuel and air flow is critical for a proper start. I checked the wiring in the box and the diagrams are not drawn correctly as shown in the attached images.
The circulation pump is only turned on in HI-mode.
Rosco, about running down the start battery, you are right in pointing this out, as a result, I installed a separate battery for accessories, what I call a "house battery" to run everything except the start motor on my xm757. The starting battery is exclusively used for starting and is of much lower amp-hr capacity.

2010 1117 control box wiring (1).jpg2010 1117 control box wiring, from tm and corrected.jpg

coachgeo

When using the standard heater control box, the HI mode is locked out during start-up. The calibration of fuel and air flow is critical for a proper start. I checked the wiring in the box and the diagrams are not drawn correctly as shown in the attached images.
The circulation pump is only turned on in HI-mode.
Rosco, about running down the start battery, you are right in pointing this out, as a result, I installed a separate battery for accessories, what I call a "house battery" to run everything except the start motor on my xm757. The starting battery is exclusively used for starting and is of much lower amp-hr capacity.

View attachment 713850View attachment 713851
What TM section is Special Kits wiring schematics usually found? The truck schematics are in x4 (AKA 24 or 34) but have yet find the special kit diagrams like you posted. Thanks for any insight.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What TM section is Special Kits wiring schematics usually found? The truck schematics are in x4 (AKA 24 or 34) but have yet find the special kit diagrams like you posted. Thanks for any insight.
For my vehicle (xm757) the wiring diagrams are shown in the -34 manual. Typical:

2018 0101 coolant heater wiring, xm757.jpg

coachgeo

angles....... curious... what angle does these NOT work well or at all.... aka if your parked up hill? or god forbid you plopped the truck on it's side and need to camp out and wait for help???

77 AMG

Interesting timing on this thread being brought back to life. I now have *much* better idea of what the heck I have been looking at on the selves at work. Thank you to everyone involved in this search and thread!

snowtrac nome

If you want a reliable cold start get a swingfire heater kit to install, you will have to use the circ pump, but you will be to operating temp in about 15 minutes. A side benefit is you can stuff mre's in the swingfire tube and they will be at operating temp when you stop for the night.

coachgeo

If you want a reliable cold start get a swingfire heater kit to install, you will have to use the circ pump, but you will be to operating temp in about 15 minutes. A side benefit is you can stuff mre's in the swingfire tube and they will be at operating temp when you stop for the night.
for some that is their desire.

For myself.... quick super cold engine start is not my desire at all...... am using this as a poor mans Eberspacher/Wabesco. Heating engine for starting and for heating habitat as one would with the Eberspacher/Wabesco. Will plumb same way.... just over all cost is half of a Eberspacher/Wabesco setup.

Last edited:

74M35A2

I have 2 complete M35A2 arctic heater kits in unopened wooden pallet crates. Does not include insulated bed cover. Looks to be fuel fired heater, ducting, exhaust, control head, and protective cage. I heard these are to heat the cargo bed, and that some beds have a removable plate at the front to accommodate this? Not sure. Heater I think actually goes in the bed at the front-center? Could use them for cab heat as well, others have. Make offer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks