• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easter find M1008 2015

cucvrus

DSCF7400.jpgDSCF7408.jpgDSCF7407.jpgDSCF7406.jpgDSCF7405.jpgDSCF7404.jpgDSCF7403.jpgDSCF7402.jpgDSCF7401.jpgDSCF7409.jpg
Just a general tearing into it. Checking out all the rusty decaying parts. The entire brake and suspension systems will be on the scrap pile. I have the transmission loose and was rained out today at it's removal. I have a new engine I am going to install in this truck and the transmission/transfer case is going for overhaul. Both rockers are rough fitted and ready for welding. Moving right along. I never seen a brake bleeder completely rusted from the caliper. They are good for cores. Next week the torch comes out and the frame will be stripped. I wanted that today but was thankful for the rain. i also have a right front shock that the bolt is rusted fast to the bottom shock inner eye bushing. Great day and lots of great progress.

cucvrus

DSCF7412.jpgDSCF7411.jpgDSCF7410.jpgI started late and quit early. I am a slacker. But I am here alone today and the heat and humidity are over bearing and it is pouring down rain. i like the rain and will enjoy it from my porch with a tall cool drink. have a great day. The cab cart is going to be available for loan if anyone is interested.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
14 days since this thread started and this is all that's done? Whats the hold up?:shrugs: I expected some pictures climbing the dirt pile by now.

cucvrus

When it quits raining I am going to give it lots of attention. Everything is just setting there. The engine is unbolted from the frame and the transmission is all unbolted and so is the radiator support. I just needed to keep dodging rain drops to work on it. I will strip the axles from the frame after I pull the engine and transmission. I hope to have a bare frame over the weekend weather permit.

cucvrus

DSCF7426.jpgDSCF7427.jpgDSCF7428.jpgDSCF7429.jpgDSCF7430.jpg
Tonight I removed the radiator support, exhaust, transmission, cross member, front bumper braces, and radiator hoses. This engine has a leaking rear main seal as most all do that have not been changed. The transmission and transfer case are going to get rebuilt. I must push the frame back inside to remove the engine. I put the motor mount bolts back in. It was not happy with out the transmission and exhaust. Tomorrow is another day.

cucvrus

DSCF7447.jpgDSCF7446.jpgDSCF7450.jpgDSCF7448.jpgDSCF7449.jpg
I have nothing much to say. The scrap pile keeps growing as I keep adding old CUCV leaf springs. I worked outside all day. It was a 3 shirt day and I drank about 5 gallons of water. I am building a heavy duty table that I could set an entire CUCV up on if the need arises. For now I will just use the jack stands. The frame is not completely stripped but will be in a few days. Without a torch I would be lost. Not bad for a days work.

cucvrus

DSCF7451.jpgDSCF7452.jpgDSCF7453.jpgI worked on my HD outside work bench. I am not done with it. I have a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood and a steel plate for the top. Then it gets painted and a roof added. I have a big vise for it. I wanted it to have a good HD place to work outside in the nice weather. I have also been working on lawn mowers , fire wood and wood racks in my slack time. The CUCV M1008 cab is coming along nicely. I will post pictures over the weekend. I must get needle scaling on the CUCV frame. I am NOT stalling. Just preparing myself mentally and physically. This heat is getting a bit rough on me. 3 shirt days are the norm now. The work bench was built from 100% scrap material I will need a tow truck to set it in place. I have that covered. I did need $20. in 8" screws for the side and back. All solid iron/steel and oak.

cucvrus

DSCF7467.jpgDSCF7468.jpgDSCF7469.jpgDSCF7470.jpgDSCF7471.jpg
I have not posted in a while so I will update my M1008 rebuilding project. I have the rockers and cab corners all brazed in place and rough ground and ready for filler. I have had the doors on and off several times to assure a perfect fit. It has been very hot and I have been doing a few other projects that are much needed. Eliminating the dirt piles at the new house lot and repairing a few tractors that were dropped off. I also built an awesome heavy duty HD outside work bench. I like working out side so I built this bench to last. It will have a roof and cover on the bench. I will be adding an LED tube lamp to the underside and a few electrical gang boxes to it. I like working outside and have been using my saw horses and an old CUCV hood for years as a work bench. Well that had to go. This this is built like a BSH. I will be setting it in place and leveling it up real soon. I am using Walbash Dura-Plate to makke the coveing for it and solid 6 X 8 oak for the sub surface and 3/4" marine plywood glued down with the Dura-plate work surface. Dura -Plate is awesome stuff. Don't work on projects without it. I saved all the beams from the 1850's house I tore down and no one wanted to buy them so they are being cut up for firewood. So sad but they have to go. At least they are well seasoned and will burn well with no creosote. Have a great day and I will be updating again soon. DSCF7472.jpgDSCF7473.jpgI am not done with it yet. I must design the roof with rain, snow and ice in mind. Back to the drawing board. I estimate it weighs about 500 lbs as pictured.

nun101

CUCVRUS I'm trying to send you a PM about getting some CUCV m1010 parts this week. I'm in the area. Drop me a PM if you can, your inbox is full.

cucvrus

I sent you a PM. I will try to help. But for the record I am out of the CUCV parts business. I would rather scrap/warehouse the parts then deal with most people I have dealt with here of late. Not all people. It is more of a hassle and not worth the time and effort for all the crying and complaining. I say find your parts else where if you can. Removing parts, packaging them, getting shipping quotes and having the order cancelled. NOT going to happen to this guy anymore. I have sold parts most of my life and have never heard the complaining and crying like I have here. Sorry. I had a few bad deals and I know it may not be fair but life is not always fair. Face to face sales are great and that is where the best deals are. Stop by anytime. Thank you. I still have a lot of parts and CUCV's I am going to sell one way or another. I left my sales option expire as of yesterday.

nun101

Hey there,
I did not get a PM.

I got frustrated selling parts online as well for the same reason, you get a quote, pack up the part and then they don't want it.

Anyway, I was just trying to swing by for some parts in person. I need a spare wheel and tire, jack and wheel tool kit, spot lights, one of the hanging bed platforms, California clean inner fenders if available. Probably more stuff. I drove the m1010 out to the Catskills from Cleveland Ohio. I'm here all week about 90 min from Scranton. I could stop by Friday on my way back to Cleveland if that works. Or sooner if that is better for you.

-Marc

Last edited:

cucvrus

I am not sure what is going on with the in box. I emptied it as far as I know. It matters not. I have several emails use rengle523@comcast.net that one will work and has endless storage. I think I am game for your needs. Straight down I 81 at exit 90. Let me know. I will be in and out most of the weekend and off all next week. Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks