• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project in SC

hambone

Nice project, looks like you need an underbody kit and some floor panels, shop around for underbody kit, prices all over the place, check out m151bodypanels.com, Guy has nice replacement panels, good luck on your project. Hambone

SturmTyger380

Just to note. Your fuel Jerry can is mounted wrong. :razz: The Jerry can police will tell you it needs have the opening towards the spare tire away from the exhaust.

If you work like your other projects this will be nice! Alan

Brandon98

Looks good. I just dragged my new-to-me A2 project through Greenville to Augusta, GA. I've got the ROPS (uninstalled) and am debating doing the hacking to install it...but getting the vehicle running first is my priority.

dougimes

Work under way on the exposed parts of the body

009_2.15111115_std.jpg

this shows replacement of damaged area of wheel fairing. Used a vicegrip flanging tool to make the flange.

014.34974710_std.JPG

New Side panels, more picture on the website if you are interested.

dougimes

007.jpg

update on progress, power unit out, unibody is on a rotisserie, sandblasted , and working on underneath repair. you can see the areas that need work, the cross member, holes for suspension arms are wallowed out,

all important paint question

012.jpg

here i have sanded down thru an original area, the layers are bare metal, 24087 semigloss OD, un-identified green, 34079 forest green. I'm pretty sure about the 24087 and the 34079 -picture doesn't show it, the last color is actually darker than the unidentified green, matches a color sample of 34079 when I wet it. notice no primer on this part, but primer shows on other parts, then same progression of layers.

Opinions of what we are seeing here? theories of where and what it was painted?

013.jpg

another of same.

dougimes

getting caught up with some progress shots

048 (2).jpg204.jpg053 (2).jpg024.jpg025 (4).jpg

Regarding the front end alignment slotted shims, anyone say a good starting point for thickness of shims ?

dmetalmiki

Amazing and skilled work. Well done, following your progress. Also thank you for the excellent pictures.

Last edited:

dougimes

Well gang, its a wrap. Restoration completed on 6 Nov 2018. Maiden run of about 25 miles to an airfield north of us.

my starting point was an un-cut 1971 A2. Pretty badly rusted out below, banged up above. Otherwise pretty complete. Engine needed pistons, rings, crank bearings.

I picked markings from 4 squadron, 2nd Cav, unit 6, stationed in Bavaria in 1974.

030.jpg

If you'd like to see a bunch of before after shots, check out a website I keep at:

http://wartimetrucks.com

Click on the tab that says m151 before and after.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks