• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Mighty Mite Miracle

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the very last minute, we decided to ambush fellow SS members by showing up at the 2019 Sanford Memorial Day Parade.

A Mighty Mite parked next to a Chenowth - both privately owned - is a VERY rare sight!! Signalcorps worked very hard to get his FAV on the road. I love seeing it at events. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife ran over a nail in her 2005 Tahoe PPV at the beginning of June last year. The local tire store has a tight parking lot that’s typically crowded and difficult to maneuver a dually around. I decided to pull the wheel off the truck and put the Mite to work. Much to my surprise, the wheel fit perfectly in the back!!!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the issues I've discovered with the Mite is that it's essentially invisible, even in broad daylight. I've had to take evasive maneuvers multiple times to avoid getting into accidents. People frequently pull out right in front of me, cut me off, or run me off the road. As you can see from the pictures above, I added two safety vests and two reflective safety wrist straps to the seat backs. They help tremendously.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just remembered another event she participated in last year. The First Florida MVPA rally in Mt. Dora. I drove her 45 miles one way nonstop to get there, and made the same trip home nonstop.

Note to self: long drives in a M422 require at least 1 stop to stretch my legs. I had cramps by the time I got to Renninger’s!!! Same deal when I got home. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson from the morning run. Well, time was not on my side. I had to get home before dark.

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeannie has a distinct personality. She really likes to run. She doesn't care if the temps are in the 90's or the 50's. She wants to be driven. She HATES going over 40 MPH. Her RPMs climb quickly, her engine gets hot, and she gets cranky. She also hates sitting for more than a month at a time. I keep a battery tender on her. She complains a bit when she's first started, but she warms up fast and gets moving. She's an awesome little vehicle. Fun as heck to drive. I really enjoy putting miles on her. :cool:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve driven Jeannie 644 miles since we brought her home. :driver:

One issue, minor but somewhat inconvenient, is the position of the exhaust pipe. It ends under the driver side rear bumper. Our clothes smell like exhaust fumes after a ride. This is an issue that my wife wanted me to solve.

I thought about mounting a fording exhaust pipe. There are a few problems with that plan. The pipe would interfere with entry and exit from the rear of the vehicle. It could lead to rear passengers getting burned from the hot pipe. Engineering a metal guard is more aggravation than it’s worth.

I called Daryl Bensinger for suggestions. I explained my idea about the fording pipe. He chuckled and told me a story about one of his Mites that had a fording kit. Someone walked up to the vehicle and grabbed the hot pipe in a parking lot, asking him “What is this for?“ Daryl tried to warn him not to touch it but the guy already grabbed the pipe. :roll:

I found an exhaust extension for a M170 ambulance. The mounting bracket appeared to be the same as the Mite, but Daryl wasn’t sure if it would work. I called Doc. He owns a Mite and an M38A1. He measured the tailpipe brackets on both vehicles, called me back, and told me they are a direct match! :jumpin:

I ordered the tailpipe extension and gasket from Midwest Military. Total cost was $53.20 including shipping.

I dug 3 bolts, nuts, and lock washers out of my bolts bin. There are three potential mounting positions. I chose the one that extends the pipe tip as far away from the rear tire as possible. A 5 mile test trip proved successful. I didn’t smell like exhaust!!!

I took the pictures after my test run.

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi y'all. I apologize for not updating this thread at all over the past 2+ years. Life has taken me down some difficult paths that have consumed all my resources. I also got into another, um, addiction. My wife and I bought dual sport motorcycles near the end of 2020. We got our motorcycle endorsements on the day before Thanksgiving of that year. The bikes aren't green, but they are nice.

Nonetheless, I wanted to throw a little info on what I've done with the Mite. I drive it!! :) I run to the pool supply store and to auto parts stores - it's easier to park than my Dually. I've driven it to work a few times. I run her about every 2-3 weeks, even if it's a couple of short trips around my neighborhood.

The exhaust extension tremendously helps redirect exhaust away from the driver and passengers, and makes trips more enjoyable. I'm so glad I ordered and installed it.

jrlatt

Hi y'all. I apologize for not updating this thread at all over the past 2+ years. Life has taken me down some difficult paths that have consumed all my resources. I also got into another, um, addiction. My wife and I bought dual sport motorcycles near the end of 2020. We got our motorcycle endorsements on the day before Thanksgiving of that year. The bikes aren't green, but they are nice.

Nonetheless, I wanted to throw a little info on what I've done with the Mite. I drive it!! :) I run to the pool supply store and to auto parts stores - it's easier to park than my Dually. I've driven it to work a few times. I run her about every 2-3 weeks, even if it's a couple of short trips around my neighborhood.

The exhaust extension tremendously helps redirect exhaust away from the driver and passengers, and makes trips more enjoyable. I'm so glad I ordered and installed it.
Awesome !

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No news is good news, right? Doc did such an awesome job with the restoration!!! I get her out of the garage every few weeks and run her to the pool store to get the water tested and put some miles on her. She runs great!! Spits and complains a bit when cold, but she is warms us quickly in Florida.

Jeannie needed an oil change last year.

4.5 quarts 10w40
Added yellow Teflon tape to the drain plug.
Oil filter canister bolt: 3/4”
Drain plug: 9/16”
NAPA Filter 1004
Wix Filter 51004
Use either 10w40 or 15w40

I couldn’t get the filter locally. I found it on FleaBay.

I put 9 gallons of ethanol free fuel in the tank on Saturday. I haven’t recorded the MPG but I guess it’s pretty good!

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took pictures of the batteries. Hopefully this helps someone.

The oil filler cap has a chain installed on it to keep it from getting lost. Doc’s Mite didn’t have one. He loved the idea so much that he soldered a chain to his. The cap is really dang small, and is nearly impossible to find a replacement.

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what the exhaust tip looks like now. You’d never know that it was an add-on from a totally different vehicle.!! It still really helps reduce the smell of oil and exhaust from swirling back into the passenger compartment.

I must warn y’all of one thing: be careful when walking through the garage next to your Mite if you choose to install this. I have nice scars on both of my shins from hitting it really really hard multiple times!!

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep Jeannie’s hood up and a battery tender on her whenever I’m not driving her.

This morning I walked into my garage and caught a whiff of fuel. I narrowed the source down to her fuel filter. Doc installed a fresh one during the restoration. I have not changed it since. Fortunately, I have a big bag of them. A quick trip around the neighborhood after the installation proved to me that she’s running just fine. 6917 miles on the odometer.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks