• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Mighty Mite Miracle

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another update from Doc:

I took the Mite out for a ride around in the back yard. Checked out the shifting and the clutch. 6 laps around the trees. I had to sweep the garage floor so I thought I would take the Mite out for some air.

DSCN1858.jpg

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice restoration Mark! I've always liked the Mites, but too rare and expensive for my blood. Glad you found Doc to help you out. Very knowledgeable.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc: What the F---!!!! Some people should stay away from tools and machinery. There is supposed to be about 3/4 inch of thread for the large nut. The threads were probably cobbled up so someone in their infinite wisdom cut the threaded tube off with a hacksaw and jammed a short bolt down the center where there are no interior threads for said bolt. And to finish up this beautiful work of art, grind the hex head of the bolt to the size of the original nut and place the nut on there. No place for the horn wire. Ugh.

If y'all can think of any way to fix this disaster, please post your ideas. Thank you!

DSCN1860.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Skycraft aluminum sheet transformation.
DSCN1861.jpgDSCN1862.jpgDSCN1863.jpgDSCN1864.jpgDSCN1865.jpgDSCN1866.jpgDSCN1867.jpg

Doc recessed the battery cutoff switch about an inch so the key would not stick out.
The battery cables run through the existing gearbox access hole.

DSCN1869.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Motor Mounts

I ordered two engine mounts from Amazon. The part number is Anchor 2150. They were $5.64 each with free shipping.

From Doc: These were tough but as you can see, they needed changing. Old and new side by side. There was absolutely no room for tools to change these mounts. There was blood, sweat and tears on this job. The photo pictures is the easy side on the passenger side. The tougher one is the driver side. I had to contend with the clutch rod and exhaust pipe. Now the motor does not rock around any more. :)

DSCN1933.jpgDSCN1934.jpgDSCN1936.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc: You can't see that much tilt in this photo of the front end. The left wheel is tilted in at the top. The wheel bearing is loose and the top king pin is a little loose too. Gonna check that out.

DSCN1938.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc reinstalled the shift cover. The new keyed switch he installed looks like it was built at the factory. I love it!!! It looks fantastic!!!! :) :clinto::jumpin:

DSCN1937.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc:
What's wrong with this picture.
I removed the steering wheel and found more trouble as you can see by the pictures. I removed the steering box and compared my old column with yours. Both steering boxes are on the floor. Yet, someone cut off just over an inch of column and tube and hammered on the steering wheel.
aua :( :mad:

DSCN1942.jpgDSCN1943.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc called me yesterday. The cretin that butchered the steering column also drilled out the splines on the inside of the steering wheel. :cry: :cry:auaaua The steering wheel looks pristine - the plastic isn't cracked at all. It is completely useless now. There is no way to repair it. I have to order a new steering column, steering box, and steering wheel.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My parts orders came in!!! I laid out A LOT of $$ to buy these few pieces of green. The NOS steering wheel cost me $350 :shock: I'm still ticked off about the jerk that butchered my steering wheel. :-x

I'm thankful that I was able to locate a NOS wheel that has the bell on the bottom to keep water out of the steering column. Those pieces are extremely rare.

My parts order list:
Steering column and box
temperature sender guard
master cylinder (This is the same one that came from my Mite. Doc shipped it to Bensinger and had it rebuilt.)
large x hub bolt for passenger side front
clutch return spring
brake return spring
4 dash light bulbs
3 front axle boot hair pin clips

IMG_3724.jpgIMG_3725.jpgIMG_3723.jpgIMG_3726.jpgDSCN2004.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought new shocks for the front and rear off of Amazon for $94. The rear shocks were bright gloss yellow, and the front shocks were gloss black with stickers on the top. I sanded them down with sanding sponges and applied a nice coat of primer to each one. I shot them with Krylon camo green paint. They look nice and are ready to smooth out the ride on the Mite. I don't think the shocks need to be replaced, but I put them on the 'might as well list'. Might as well replace them with the front clip removed. It's easier to do it now than later after we put the Mite back together.

Another Ahab

My parts orders came in!!! I laid out nearly $600 to buy these few pieces of green. The NOS steering wheel cost me $300 :shock: I'm still ticked off about the jerk that butchered my steering wheel.
I was thinking about that steering wheel, Mr. OD. And it IS a hit for sure, that's not pocket change.

But to know that you got it right now, and to move ahead with everything in order.

That's the "rite" thing to do for your Mighty Mite.

In Mighty Mite heaven, the gods of the Mighty Mite salute you. [thumbzup] :driver:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, sir. I appreciate your support. I knew that Doc would uncover at least one major disaster. I'm thankful that I can still find parts for the Mite. I order nearly all of my parts from Daryl Bensinger. He's a great guy. He sent me a complete steering box and column that was rebuilt in 1967. It has the horn wire in place an the nut for the top of the steering wheel. Daryl is helping me preserve this piece of military vehicle history. :)

Another Ahab

Thank you, sir. I appreciate your support. I knew that Doc would uncover at least one major disaster. I'm thankful that I can still find parts for the Mite. I order nearly all of my parts from Daryl Bensinger. He's a great guy. He sent me a complete steering box and column that was rebuilt in 1967. It has the horn wire in place an the nut for the top of the steering wheel. Daryl is helping me preserve this piece of military vehicle history.
It's a beauty.:beer:

Between that and your car ("Eloise" was it?!), you got a start on building your own museum collection!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're close, Ahab. My daughter named our Model A 'Alyssa'. I don't plan on buying any more vehicles. When I get the Mite back and on the road, I will have 5 vehicles tagged and insured. :shock: Thankfully, three of those are collector vehicles with collector insurance. That's enough for now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks