• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Mighty Mite Miracle

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc is at it again. He finished all of the wiring on the trailer plug and the left tail light. He has to finish the wiring from the left to right side light. He ran out of wire, but knows where he can get more. In the interests of safety, Doc is changing the Mite. He will install a brake light on the passenger side that's identical to the driver's side light. I ordered a M38 M38A1 Driver side service stop light / tail light 8378785 on ePay for $45 + $14 shipping. I'll hand it over to Doc and he'll wire it in.

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc took the tank to a local shop to have it boiled out and cleaned up. Thankfully, the tank is in excellent condition and didn't require any patches. He painted it. It's ready for a new sending unit, screen, and hoses.

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc reshaped a new fuel line. A 30 inch piece was very close. A little long at the right but he'll adjust on the next line.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Doc reshaped a new fuel line. A 30 inch piece was very close. A little long at the right but he'll adjust on the next line.
Beautiful work by Doc as always. [thumbzup]

What's the metal of the fuel line, I would have thought copper or aluminum but it doesn't look like either one.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a steel line. He will mount the tank when he gets the new screen, sending unit, and hoses.

Yesterday he hand cut carburetor gaskets out of gasket material sheets. He does not want that sucker to leak.

js0276

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey OD,
Ive been following your restoration. I have a M422 that needs a motor! Any leads on anyone having a motor for the Mite?

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea where to find a Mite engine. Have you talked to Daryl Bensinger? He's the one I go to when I need Mite parts.

Read Post #14 of this thread. I think Jeepsinker is still willing to part with his M422A1. You might be able to work something out with him.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc used old inner tube for the anti squeak liner. 2 straps with liner glued. One trimmed out.
DSCN2179.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the hardware on the tank now. A ground wire will go on the sender unit to make sure of a good ground connection.

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to Doc yesterday. He is about two months away from completing everything, including all test drives and trials. He has all of the electrical re-wiring complete. He'll install the passenger side tail light when he gets it. He has to adjust the fuel float and mount the fuel tank. After he tests to ensure there are no leaks in the tank, he will remove the temporary gas tank and install the front clip. That means it's crunch time for me. I have to clean out the garage to make room for her return.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gas cap neck was loose, hardware frozen and rusted. Doc had to grind the heads off the screws because he couldn't get to the bottom. New screws and some paint. Reinstall 30 pound antenna bracket with 12bolts.

DSCN2272.jpgDSCN2273.jpgDSCN2274.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The good news: Doc will have her done in less than 6 weeks!!!!! :jumpin::jumpin::clinto:

The bad news: I haven't turned a single wrench on her since last July. :-(

Other news: I have a very short amount of time to clean out the garage to make room for her return.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc installed the gas tank today. New filler hose and breather hose at the cap and the tank. Not much room on either end. Tail lights in and brake lightson in photo. Wiring complete. :)

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to Doc last night. He's in the home stretch. He's buying fuel today. He has to test the fuel system to make sure there are no leaks. After that, he will put the front clip back on.

Doc appreciates your compliments, and is thankful that you're following this thread. I am as well. Mites are so rare. Owning a fully restored Mite AND a beautiful Model A is unheard of. I'm very blessed. :usafss:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer, but I worked hard on the garage today and freed up a bunch of room. I'm getting closer to having the 11' that I need to park her next to my Model A. The Mite is 9' x 5' but I need a little extra space to move around her. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks