• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solo Tire Mounting The Easy Way

aleigh

So I was mounting up another 395/85R20 for my LMTV, and I was doing it alone. The bead was stuck pretty good and I don't own a bead breaker. Yes, there are lots of tricks - sledges, tire irons, soap and water, swearing. Well this is what I came up with. This is a cheater method and if you have a forklift I honestly can't think of an easier way other than paying someone else to do it. I think it is faster even than using a breaker.

Skip to the pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/albums/72157671249646726

1. Spread forklift tines far enough that the forklift only supports the rubber.

2. Pull any CTIS stuff and all the nuts off using an impact gun.

3. Put the tire on the forklift lugnut side down.

4. Run a recovery strap or chain to something immovable. I have a stacker so I used the outriggers. You could probably park a lift truck on the strap too.

5. Attach the strap to the wheel half. Just go through the lugnut holes.

6. Lift the tire. The small half just pops off.

7. Flip the wheel.

8. Repeat with the large half of the wheel. Put the straps around the lugs.

9. Unbolt and remove the bead locker. Lower the tire, stand in it, and kick the ring into the tire so you can get to the bolts. It "unscrews" from the tire.

10. Discard old tire

11. Place new tire on forklift.

12. Install beadlocker

13. Drop in large wheel half. Lower tire and jump on it if required. Be aware of valve alignment and it may catch on the bolts of the bead locker.

14. Raise tire.

15. Place small wheel half on something - bucket, crate, whatever you have.

16. Lower tire. Align bolts with holes in small half. Lower bolts through.

17. Reach underneath lift and thread on a couple of bolts.

18. Raise tire. Run impact gun on all the nuts in the correct pattern.

19. Install CTIS stuff. Air up.

20. Done

* Notes

I like to clean the rim up, particularly if it is marred from tire irons with a random orbital sander. If your o-ring falls out and won't stay upside down you can either clean it up and put it on the small half or you can flip the tire an additional time.

Last edited:

coachgeo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks