• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made Gunnison CO to Frisco TX in 17 hrs straight.

Dumb idea. Left at 10 am after breaking camp. Already dehydrated and tired, and decided to just go home. My buddy had to go the other way and go to the hospital, so our trip was done.

Dont want to do that again. But would love to try to make this trip once. I know there has to be two things to do at a halfway point. One for the way down, and one for the return trip. Any ideas?

LDAndersonTX

Do these Big Bend trips still happen? I live near the park and black gap road runs through a ranch I work on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was the only one that showed up last year. This year I’ll be doing the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route so won’t be doing Big Bend. That means there will probably be a big crowd.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, we were just waiting for you to organize it and then not show up. :)

I just wish it were closer. TX is so dang large. I could drive to Idaho in almost as much time. I bought my truck in ID and I regret not spending enough time drive it around Idaho. Although I did spend some time in the mountains of CO camping, sleeping in the bed and fly fishing.

I guess if the organizer of the Big Bend get together won’t be there, it just got a lot smaller. 74M35A2 and some others are starting talks about a get together at my ranch this winter. Summer is just too brutal.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok there needs to be a PART 2 to this or re try IDK, I really really want to do this!
Best time would be end of Oct/first of Nov. The weather is starting to cool down but they big crowds haven't started to the Park yet. I'm heading out for Idaho in 2 weeks and will be on an extended road trip for nearly a month so won't being doing anything this year but next year is always a possibility. Anyone one else that would like to organize it is welcome to jump in.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I have to make this a next spring/ fall trip so be it, but this seems like the perfect overland trip for FMVs in Texas. With so much private land in TX this seems like the place. Honestly I am never going to do a road trip/ overland trip in a FMV by myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks