• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

armytruck63

My mom and I went on a trip to Big Bend about 30 years ago in our VW Bus. The bus did great off road except for deep blow sand.

We met a guy from Beaumont, Texas who had driven almost as far to get to Big Bend as we had from California.

We were there in early April and had one day in the 80's and foggy frost the next morning.

Last edited:

runk

We were down in Big Bend a couple of years ago. It was awesome, and definitely on the do again list. There will be a large variation in temperature between the desert and the Chisos basin. When we were there in early June, desert was 70-100F, basin was 40-80F. I would plan on cold nights in the basin in October ! More weather data-
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/weather.htm
We were driving my Ford Expedition (2004 NBX, a rarer model offered for a few years with a real 4x4 drive and suspension). We did a bunch of the improved dirt roads and a few sections of the primitive roads. Clearance and traction wasn't an issue, but (even on the improved roads) width and turning radius was a problem. I still have the big scratches down one side from the upslope Mesquite trees, from avoiding a minor washout on the downslope side of one of the "improved" roads. The full width sections were just barely wide enough for the Ford. I decided I was really glad I wasn't trying to drag the M35A2 through a bunch of the places. A jeep, or maybe even a M1009 would be way more fun on most of the roads in the park.

There will also be a couple of Homeland Security checkpoints on the way down, make sure all your paperwork is in order!

I am going to add this to my calendar, but I probably won't be able to make it. Looking forward to the pictures, videos, and reports !

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're getting my wife set for a trip to WV (she's taking Herbal Medicine classes and they're going back to treat people in the back country there) and we were shopping for stuff for that and getting excited about the upcoming trip to Big Bend. Anyone that's even thinking of going please jump on here to talk about it. My guess is the more people get interested the more people it will attract. I'd like nothing better than to feed about 20 folks that came out just because MVs were involved.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note to self and for anyone going along, I'd like to do tread depth measurements on the LMTV before and after the trip. This will give me a good idea of how well my new tires are holding up. Theres going to be about 900 highway miles and then whatever trail riding we're able to do. I'll deduct any miles that require a wrecker :)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick,

Change of plans on our end as far as route is concerned. Originally we were headed over Hwy 90 but now going I-10 so chance we can meet somewhere on the way over or at least convoy part of the way back.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Less than a month away from the big trip to Big Bend. I got the MBU out today to make sure it was working. Most of my cooking will be done in Dutch ovens but I like bacon in the morning so will use the MBU and a cast iron griddle for cooking up some breakfast tacos. Anyone is welcome to use it as well as long as YOU do the clean up. I'm not sure on the eggs but having a hard time deciding if I need 5 or 10 lbs of bacon. I don't always eat bacon, but when I do I like it with a side of bacon, or two.

IMG_4726.jpg

red

Went on a trip there a few years ago with the deuce and a half. Met up with VPED and picked up a m105 trailer. Drove Black Gap Trail at night with the deuce and 105 in tow, 395's and stock manual steering. The first turn kicked my ass but after that it was easy. With power steering I'd say go for it. Sucked with manual steering because it's a steep downhill slop with a sharp left hand turn. 3-5 point turn with a large truck and power steering. Couple creek bed crossings and one rock fall to climb up that gave the jeep/pickup some issues but the deuce idled right over them.

P1010256.jpg P1010260.jpg P1010290.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion Red. We're going to take the M1009 on a couple of the trails first to make sure there's clearance for the LMTV. Height clearance with some of the rock outcroppings are my biggest concern.

red

Good idea, didn't have any issues with the last trip but only went on a few trails there. In the 'Black Gap Trail' video at the 1:00-1:40 mark that is the turn that gave me ****.

Weather will change pretty quick out there. I slept in the m105 and had no issues (slept like a rock according to the others). A good short hike would be "The Window", only takes about 1/2 a day if you go slow and it's a nice hike.

Have fun and post lots of pics!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the last of the prep items for cooking today at Bass Pro Shop. This is a "camp fire grille" but is just about the right height for putting over the MBU. I'm going to have to put some 4x4s under the legs as right now it sits on the burner and I'd like it to be up a couple of inches so I have more temp control on the heat. Any how, the bacon can now be cooked!

IMG_4741.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled out the Dutch ovens today and I'm guessing the last time I used them was 2010. The seasoning has basically varnished so looks like I'll be re-seasoning them tomorrow. It's not a fun job but necessary since I've let them sit for so long. This is actually the first time I've been "camping" camping since about 2000 so it's well past time I got back into that. The days of pack camping are gone but I can still get to some fairly remote locations with the LMTV. If I was back in the PNW I could easily get lost in the woods for weeks.

Another Ahab

This is actually the first time I've been "camping" camping since about 2000 so it's well past time I got back into that. The days of pack camping are gone but I can still get to some fairly remote locations with the LMTV. If I was back in the PNW I could easily get lost in the woods for weeks.
I hear you, Brother.

Backpacking gets to feel a whole lot like work at a certain point (you know, after the personal odometer hits some milestone mileage):

backpacking.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks