• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coming home from the Floresville Peanut Festival parade yesterday I had an overheating issue with the M1078 because the fan was not cycling on. After a couple of hours sidelined in a parking lot I got back on the road and the fan mysteriously started working again. Until I figure out what is happening there I'm going to have to plan on taking a civilian vehicle on the trip. If I can determine the fan issue and get it fixed then I'll be back on with the LMTV. I just don't want to be in the middle of west TX with radiator issues and another huge tow bill.

Another Ahab

Until I figure out what is happening there I'm going to have to plan on taking a civilian vehicle on the trip. If I can determine the fan issue and get it fixed then I'll be back on with the LMTV. I just don't want to be in the middle of west TX with radiator issues and another huge tow bill.

once.jpg

TexAndy

I just flushed and refilled the radiator on my CUCV.

So no jinxies, right?

No air conditioning, but at highway speed and being toward the end of october, I don't think we're going to overheat ourselves, either.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it looks like I'm not going to be able to take my truck this trip. Thanks to not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time I'm stuck in a walking boot for the next couple of weeks and there's no way to drive with it on. At this point looks like I'll be co-driver (well passenger) with TexAndy. I'm hoping we can get all of the cooking apparatus in the M1009. There's something to be said for having a 2.5t truck when packing for a camping trip :)

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found this thread, and being a glutton for punishment (dallas to Big Bend and back in da Cinco) I was thinking about it. Is this an open group or by invite only?

Who all is going at this point?
How many days in the park?
Is there a route schedule that I missed?
The date is one in only a few that I could actually pull it off. But, I'm interested in the details.

Im in dallas area (North Dallas, Frisco to be exact) anyone coming from up here?

With a bunch of trucks, I am sure at least a couple should be carrying tow bars and such. They might be the tow vehicle or the towed vehicle!

Thanks!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is open to any and all. At this point there's a LMTV coming from Ft Worth on Thursday. We'll be coming from San Antonio on Wed with a M1009. I haven't heard anything definitive from anyone else.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, thanks for the invite, I just can't make it this soon.

You guys have a great time, lots of pics and video!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well everything is assembled except for the ice (dry and not so dry) for the cooler. I'm hoping to get on the road Thursday morning as it's at least 8 hours worth of driving in the M1009 (including a couple of pit stops for fuel, food, and evacuations). I'd like to get the camp set up before dark but we'll just have to see how that goes. I'm not sure of cell coverage out there so no idea if pics will be ongoing or have to wait for a Monday morning update.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck gents. I told my friend who just bought A 923a2 about the trip and he said he would like to do it next year, if you guys are going to do it again, let's start a list when you get back.

Have fun, be safe, and best of luck on everything adventures throw your way!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I could have made this work. You guys will have a great time. Perfect time of the year too. Let me know when you get back if you want to do it again in a year. We just bought two M1082's and thinking of turning them into serious adventure campers. This would be a great trip to test them out.

Be safe, watch out for rattlesnakes, don't eat any prickly pear fruit without scorching ALL OF THE SKIN with a lighter. (Made that mistake once!) they are in season now, as long as the Javelina have not eaten them all. They are tasty!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a late start out this morning but finally made it into the park around 1900. When we went past the Panther Junction Ranger station it said Chisos Basin. Campground was full so we headed on into Terilingua for supper. When we're done with supper we're headed to Castolon Campground. Its a fair drive from where RAJLMTV is staying but we're out of options. All of the backcountry camp sites are closed due to bear sightings.

One exciting thing on the trip was Andy's M1009 turning 100k miles :)

IMG_4831.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the way home now with Mrs driving. Coverage is too spotty for a full After Action Report but I'll just say it was fun enough we might do a week next year. Here's one more pic until I do the full write up.

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope that is just a sneak peak! Hope there are more pics.

I did about 800 miles this past week in the 5 ton. Frisco > Ft. Hood > Quanah > ElDorado Oklahoma > Frisco. Developed a transmission leak in Lampassas, which really stresses the importance of having a tow vehicle with all the proper tow equipment along.

I have a tow bars chains, air hoses, lights etc. and one friend who wants to do a trip like this. So, keep us informed if you will be doing it again.

Also, do you recommend a different time of year? You said the campground was full. Not my idea of a wilderness getaway to have to jockey for camp spaces like you are at the mall for Black Friday deal day!

Wondered if if there was a less busy time of year to consider.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks