• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

Another Ahab

m715mike

I can get a 5 gallon bucket and some trash bags at Home Depot for a WHOLE lot less. I could even go all out and splurge for a toilet seat and it'd still be cheaper.

Dick's Sporting Goods just opened a store near me. I saw something that reminded me of this thread while checking out the new store this evening. With this product you are only $17.99 away from relief.

IMG_2515.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, it's 2017 and time to start planning for the next go around.` We need more than 3 participants and 2 trucks this year. No excuses! You've got 10 months to get time off work and get your trucks ready (and I can learn to walk and chew gum at the same time so can drive too).

This time, now that I know what to expect, I'm planning on camping at some of the primitive camp sites so no one complains to the rangers when we start the trucks at 0800. Also we can stay up past 2200 singing Cumbahya if we want to. And there wasn't enough adult beverages last time so THATS on the list.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok tentative plans are for Oct 16-22 so we're down to 9 months to get things planned, PMCS done, pack and drive over. Four days wasn't enough for me last year so I'm planning on an entire week this time. I may have the M1082 camper set up done by then but, if not, still planning for an extended stay.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump to remind folks in case you'd like to attend this year. I just found a National Geographic topo map of Big Bend that shows ALL the Primitive Roads. It appears much more detailed the small park maps that you can get at the Park. I think we can easily find 7 different Primitive Camp sites without covering the same trail twice and still get a lot of driving in.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well broke my right knee cap today (knee is currently about the same size as my thigh) so good thing this isn't for a few months now.

Attachments

m715mike

Well broke my right knee cap today (knee is currently about the same size as my thigh) so good thing this isn't for a few months now.

So, ugh, what does the other guy look like???

I'm sorry to hear it Mark. I hope you heal quickly with minimal pain and discomfort!!!! There's plenty of time to get back on both feet before October!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, ugh, what does the other guy look like???
I'm sorry to hear it Mark. I hope you heal quickly with minimal pain and discomfort!!!! There's plenty of time to get back on both feet before October!
Guess I should have made those loan payments on time. Here's how the x-ray looks. Fortunately doesn't sound like surgery is needed.

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait, didn't you break something else before the trip last year? Like your ankle? Or am I misremembering stuff again???

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait, didn't you break something else before the trip last year? Like your ankle? Or am I misremembering stuff again???
Tore the ligaments in my right ankle. I have the ortho on speed dial. I give him so much business that he got me in 2 hours after calling on a Friday afternoon.

Another Ahab

Ohhhh...That's not good.

I'm sorry you had that mishap. I bet it will heal up fast.

I sure hope so.

What do the medical practitioners tell you?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ohhhh...That's not good.
What do the medical practitioners tell you?
The good news it's not a "displaced fracture" so no surgery is required. As for now I'm in a hip to ankle brace and can put absolutely no weight on it. It won't be until the next x-ray, a week from Monday, that I find out if I can fly. I'm scheduled to be in Idaho on St Patrick's Day and I'm kind of sweating those non-refundable tickets.

Another Ahab

The good news it's not a "displaced fracture" so no surgery is required. As for now I'm in a hip to ankle brace and can put absolutely no weight on it. It won't be until the next x-ray, a week from Monday, that I find out if I can fly. I'm scheduled to be in Idaho on St Patrick's Day and I'm kind of sweating those non-refundable tickets.
That's good to hear. [thumbzup]

Barrman

Dang Mark. Colton is going to be near you tomorrow trying to buy some kind of special guitar. Does he need to stop by to help you with anything?

get well soon.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang Mark. Colton is going to be near you tomorrow trying to buy some kind of special guitar. Does he need to stop by to help you with anything?

get well soon.
Tim,
I appreciate the offer and would love to see Colton but think I'm covered. Keith is going to give Juli a ride to town tomorrow to get my truck (had to drive myself but with the new brace no way to get home on my own) but other than that we're good. Just kind of disappointed that I was just starting my Expo Camper build and now I'm laid up for weeks.

fotorydertx

I'm sorry I didn't hear about this trip last fall. I love going to Big Bend. Another alternative for primitive roads is Big Bend Ranch State Park. It's just west of Terlingua, and even larger than the National Park.

Cell phone coverage through out the the are is spotty, but Big Bend Amateur Radio club has a radio repeater system that covers much of the Big Bend country, including the parks. It would require people get a Technician amateur radio license. It takes a 35 question test, mostly about rules and allowed frequencies, and operating procedures. The test costs about $15, and is good for 10 years. New 2 meter radios are available for under $50 for chinese radios to a couple of hundred dollars for name brands.

For those that choose not to camp, there is a nice motel at Chisos Basin, but be sure to make reservations. The restaurant has a great view over the basin. It is a steep climb into the basin with a couple of tight turns at the top of the pass, but commercial buses make the climb without issues.

I haven't bought a MV yet, but I might join you if the time is right.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry I didn't hear about this trip last fall. I love going to Big Bend. Another alternative for primitive roads is Big Bend Ranch State Park. It's just west of Terlingua, and even larger than the National Park.
I haven't bought a MV yet, but I might join you if the time is right.
We're planning another trip this Oct. No MV is necessary if you just want to come and hang out.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this wasn't so dang far. I love the idea of big bend, but I need it to be about 10 hours closer. And I need two trucks a truck and a support truck. Hopefully not, but best to be prepared.

Last time i did a two truck road trip, we almost made it 20 miles before one of us broke down!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks