• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for Slant back install on a 998?

par0thead151

I purchased a slant back kit to install on my 998, and am wondering what those who have "been there, done that" would recommend if they had to do it all over again.

are there seals i should replace now rather than later? steps to do a certain way? things to pay particular attention to?
any manuals or step by step tutorials?

the deal also included a red dot AC unit, so that will be installed after the slant back is installed.

thanks
Par0thead151

camoyj7

I almost done putting mine together. I did windshield frame, rear sponson, then C pillar with other sponson. Leave loose so you can install the hatch next. Next I did turret support and B pillar tubes. Roof went on next. Take your time and align everything up and start bolting it together. There is a good thread on G503 about fixing turret leaks i'm going to do to mine. http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=271832

Attachments

Action

there should be a seal between the windshield frame and body, as well as on top of the windshield frame.
It will leak no matter what. I used windshield putty around every bolt in the turret / roof, and that helped a lot.

par0thead151

should i replace the adhesive gaskets that are under the windshield?
the ones on mine seem a bit... old.
same for any other gaskets? if so which ones?
I have the soft top stripped off, the frame support for soft top, mirrors, and windshield all removed.
i cant wait ot get the sponsons and new windshield on tomorrow, then sunday a few friends will help with the top/turret.
thanks

camoyj7

If it looks bad now is the time to do it. you will have to pull off the top to do it later. How are your sponson gaskets?TM#26 Part#12339619-1. Also do you have the spacer sleeves that the bolt for sponsons go through?TM#25 #5583156
When you bolt on the bracket that holds the lower gas strut I have a few extra reinforcement plates you will need. TM#28 Part#12339605 See pic of TM below

Attachments

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done 3. The last one required building the entire weapons ring from components as well as the rear hatch. The parts manual is your best help. The exploded views show how it goes together. Remember to put the windshield rubber gasket in. I had trouble finding the metal strip that holds it to the windshield . I may have an extra. Here is a link with some pics of my last install. http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=247546

when installing the rear hatch shocks open the door as far up as possible and block with a 2x4 this will give you enough room to get the shocks on.

Im sure there is more that I'm forgetting. It's a fairly straight forward job you can do mostly by your self but help is always good.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost done putting mine together. I did windshield frame, rear sponson, then C pillar with other sponson. Leave loose so you can install the hatch next. Next I did turret support and B pillar tubes. Roof went on next. Take your time and align everything up and start bolting it together. There is a good thread on G503 about fixing turret leaks i'm going to do to mine. http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=271832
You apparently have too much time and MONEY on your hands..... :) Looks great.

par0thead151

so it looks like i am missing ALL bolts from this kit.
I am also missing nay rubber bushings as the rubber i have is strip seals(there is quite a bit of that)
i also will need a new passenger side glass piece for the windshield as my dumb ass broke the one that came with the soft top when transferring it.

the stripped hard top windshield frame has holes for a bracket to hold the glass in place but it does not match that of the soft top frame i had on the truck, i assume i need a new bracket?

i will post photos tomorrow of all the items i have.
in the mean time is there anywhere i can get all the bolts from? or spare glass/windshield bracket?

i have the TM and it numbers each item but there is no index of the part NSN or the bolt dimensions
maybe i am looking at the wrong TM...

par0thead151

PS, im terrified to drill my truck as there is no going back once holes are made.
any tips on what to avoid? my idea is to install everything, then drill the holes once its all in place.
thoughts?

Action

You need the parts book. It has NSN, part numbers, and description. Most screws and bolts have dimesions.
The hardtop frame uses the same 3 retainers for the glass that the softtop frame uses. What bracket are you speaking of? The retainers are just flat aluminum with small holes.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned in my PM to you need toget both ARMY TM 9-2320-280-24P-1 and ARMY TM 9-2320-280-24P-2

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also view them on line at kascar real4wd.com Print the pages you need.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get your nuts and bolts at fastenal if you can't source the mil-spec stuff.

par0thead151

all the parts i got...
I printed and hole punched the TM's tonight. my god that gave the printer a workout.
time to order up the bolts
anyone have a recommendation where to buy the buffers and other non standard hardware such as the bolts?
It appears i have all the major larger pieces, just the small nuts and bolts and whatnot are missing

IMG_20160804_131615.jpgIMG_20160804_131723.jpgIMG_20160804_131715.jpgIMG_20160804_131710.jpgIMG_20160804_131706.jpgIMG_20160804_131654.jpgIMG_20160804_131634.jpgIMG_20160804_131630.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you have the b pillar trim pieces. Can you get a close up of your windshield frame. The well nuts look different and the holes to mount the wind shield retainers seem rather large. Normally you use self threading screws
I suggest you put the b pillar tubes in the weapons ring and then put in the truck. That's my 2 cents

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean buffers? Parts. Are on eBay , g503. Kascar will have anything you can't find. Very good to deal with as well

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks