• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for Slant back install on a 998?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Action

I hope you live in the south in dry areas. That is an m1114 or m1151 windshield frame and does not have defrost vents. I hope your windshield doen't fog up while driving. That could end badly.
I have seen those with the nutsert for trim before.

par0thead151

What do you mean buffers? Parts. Are on eBay , g503. Kascar will have anything you can't find. Very good to deal with as well
the buffers i mean the rubber pieces used between the windshield and the turret.
i will snap a photo from the TM when i get home today.
thanks again for all the help guys, your all a real godsend!

Action

86humv has the rubber mounts "buffers" you need 10 of them as well as 10 metal cups, 5 spacers, 5tabs for the 5 bolts to screw into, and the hardware. And, that is just to mount the roof.
Now, what are you going to use for defrosting the windshields?

par0thead151

86humv has the rubber mounts "buffers" you need 10 of them as well as 10 metal cups, 5 spacers, 5tabs for the 5 bolts to screw into, and the hardware. And, that is just to mount the roof.
the windshield has a defrost blower on the frame of the vehicle...
or does the windshield frame i have not work with that?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSC_00076.jpgDSC_00077.jpg
Your frame is for an A/C truck....its missing the vents pictured above.
There are two types as pictured.

Action

thanks for posting the pics.

the bodies have holes above where the plastic defrost duct fits inside. The older bodies have a long duct with 3 slots for air. The newer bodies have 1 and a shorter duct.
My m1152 a/c duct has a shape that fits over the single vent.
You could cut the bottom sections from your softtop frame and weld them into your hardtop frame. Or find the correct hardtop frame with holes. You can get the hardtop frame with 3 holes, with 1 hole, or with no holes on the driver side. The passenger side will either have 1 hole or no hole.
FWIW, I think all the civy hardtop frames have 1 hole on driver side.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I cant tell from the pic of your WS frame...is it for the slantback? If you want, I have an NOS hard top WS frame I would trade you that has the correct vents for your application. I am building 2 M1151's with OEM AC and that frame would be correct for my application.

par0thead151

I hope you live in the south in dry areas. That is an m1114 or m1151 windshield frame and does not have defrost vents. I hope your windshield doen't fog up while driving. That could end badly.
I have seen those with the nutsert for trim before.
im thinking of taking it to my father in law to have him mill in a slot for the defrost vent.
i can then have a piece welded to the windshield to angle the air towards the windshield on the top.

Action

Get used to spending lots of money on this hobby. These are not cheap! And, if you take shortcuts, they will be pointed out down the road when you try to sell it.

par0thead151

$170 of stainless steel hardware .... and i have all the nuts and bolts needed. I do need a few of the items that cant be acquired in a hardware store though.
il get a list shortly of all those odds and ends.
thanks again for all the help

bshrop1

I am considering adding a slant back top with turret filler to a four door canvas top M998. My question is what goes over the outside of the 2" black pipe that is the structural support for the turret? Assume there is a flat surface for the doors to close against & since the "B" pillar is removed was not sure what goes on the outside of the pipe. Thank you very much for your help. Brian

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am considering adding a slant back top with turret filler to a four door canvas top M998. My question is what goes over the outside of the 2" black pipe that is the structural support for the turret? Assume there is a flat surface for the doors to close against & since the "B" pillar is removed was not sure what goes on the outside of the pipe. Thank you very much for your help. Brian
this is what goes there

Attachments

Frost0071

I'm actually installing my slant back on my HMMWV an I have a question regarding the b pillar covers. I bought all the parts but now the screw holes are not ling up where the cover mounts to the frame. Here I have some pictures I hope you see what I mean.
IMG_7199.jpgIMG_7200.jpg

What is wrong here? Do I have the wrong parts? Something not mounted correctly?

Thanks

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Narrow end goes toward the bottom. It’s best to leave most of the fasteners somewhat loose to enable moving everything into place then tighten it all up. None of the top pieces are precision matched.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks