• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood numbers question

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, there would not be a "C" as either the leading character or the next to last, so those are likely zeros. What year is your Dodge? Can you post a picture? As you know the USA stands for United States Army and the number is the military registration number.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The numbering system in place during 1960-68 would have been numeral-letter-numeral-numeral-numeral-numeral. I believe the first leading numeral should be a 3. The letter would not be an "I" or "O".

m38nut

Question about hood numbers

Can you find any information out about your truck if you have the hood numbers? I just recently uncovered mine on my 1952 M-37.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IT depends. I have had luck with registration numbers in the database I have access to, however, it's not great earlier than the 70s or so. But, I have found stuff into the late 40s in there.

Post your reg number &/or serial number in the 2016 VIN thread, and I'll see if I manage to get a ding. with the older vehicles I experiment a bit more to see if I can at least get "approx" information regarding it.

billyzz

IT depends. I have had luck with registration numbers in the database I have access to, however, it's not great earlier than the 70s or so. But, I have found stuff into the late 40s in there.

Post your reg number &/or serial number in the 2016 VIN thread, and I'll see if I manage to get a ding. with the older vehicles I experiment a bit more to see if I can at least get "approx" information regarding it.
I just posted both for you
Also my serial number is on the passenger side of the frame.

pockersUK

5CE091EF-F28D-4E6C-A134-0216D1DB2B64.jpgGuys these are the hood numbers on my newly acquired M37 - 3B7396- can anyone tell me if these appear to be be in the right format and also if so is there anyway to trace its history?
Thanks

67Beast

View attachment 746386Guys these are the hood numbers on my newly acquired M37 - 3B7396- can anyone tell me if these appear to be be in the right format and also if so is there anyway to trace its history?
Thanks
Black lettering and square periods tell me that these are more than likely not original marking for this vehicle. What year M37 is it? As that will make all the difference as to weather these are legit numbers.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Letters/numbers should be white. The format looks OK. No way to tell if it is correct, unless the person that did the prior restoration was able to see those numbers under paint, etc, and reapplied them. From David Doyle:

1960 through 1968
In 1960, a new system was introduced, comprised ofnumbers and a letter, such as 4B 1234. The first number “4” signified that thevehicle was a 2 1/2-ton truck. When the registration number reached 4B 9999,the next letter was used, as in 4C 0001, etc. Some letters were not usedbecause they could be confused with numbers (such as I and O).

loveyou doe

Has anyone ever seen hood numbers that start 03G bought from the army in the late 80s-early90s they didn't bother to cover the markings since the motor was seized front end damaged missing front bumper and the windshield shot out by a mg on one side

Attachments

67Beast

Has anyone ever seen hood numbers that start 03G bought from the army in the late 80s-early90s they didn't bother to cover the markings since the motor was seized front end damaged missing front bumper and the windshield shot out by a mg on one side
Yes, 03G65068 would have been the proper hood number on an early to mid 1968 built M715 truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks