• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM211 New Owner - any operational, PM, or spare part recommendations (or for sale)

Forrest XM211

They said late December with their current schedule, since it would just go in the garage here in PA for the rest of the winter and they offered to store it for free, I said lets just make it a winter project and we will set 4/1/17 as the pick up date . My plan is to then drive it all the way from Philadelphia to my home in the Pittsburgh area which is about 300 miles, stopping at military bases, museums and VA hospitals along the way.

Last edited:

Terry Shelswell

Welcome to the MV hobby in general and to owning an XM211 specifically. I have a
'56 M135 and recently purchased a '52 XM211, s/n 5252. Please advise your s/n if you have it.

You have a nice looking truck.

Forrest XM211

Thank you Terry, my s/n is 2597, yes the Florida weather was good to her, as she spent her entire life down there, so the body was very clean. Eastern Surplus engineered and offered me the option to upgrade my brake system to a dual circuit M35a3 brake system since mine needed a complete rebuild anyways, to which I said yes, I figured it is an additional $2000 well spent on safety. I have asked for the complete parts list in case anyone else is interested in doing this to their 211 or 135.

Forrest XM211

Hello Everyone, just thought I would upload a few pictures of the tear down, the drums & spindles all looked good, but the brake system was in need to a complete rebuild as w[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]e found every single brake shoe contaminated with either brake fluid, grease, or both, thus we are installing a modern dual circuit M35A3 brake system. I'll post more as we proceed over the winter. [/FONT]IMG_0532.jpgIMG_0541.jpg

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The XM211 was the pre-standardized designation. It is the same as a M211, only it was made before a certain date when the truck was "standardized". Other example is can think of are the XM135/M135, XM818/M818, T114/M114, and there are probably others too.

Forrest XM211

Hello Everyone, I know it has been over a year since my last posting, but all is good here with my 1952 XM211. As stated previously, she was in over all good shape, with the body being exceptional, however the decision was made for a complete nut & bolt restoration to take her back to a "like new" condition. The main reason for the update at this time is to let everyone know that Eastern Surplus (Philadelphia PA) was able to do a complete overhaul on the transmission & gear reduction unit. This included all new bands, clutches, and seals, as well as replacing a gear adapter that was showing signs of fatigue from an earlier patch repair. Total price was $4898.00.Another major project was the wiring, as during disassembly the insulation was cracking & crumbling. A new full wiring harness was created and installed, and additional wires were added for the the addition of an electric fuel pump (with pressure regulator) and turn signals, which will be installed in the original light housings so the outward appearance will remain as original.For safety, the original brake system has been upgraded to a modern M35A3 power assisted dual circuit system. Eastern Surplus did all of the engineering and fabricating of hardware needed for this conversion. This included a new master cylinder, fluid reservoir, two brake boosters, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, brake lines, hoses, fittings, and custom fabricated brackets & linkages.The remainder of the chassis and differentials received all new pinion seals and gaskets, as well as new shock absorbers. All new tires will also be installed.With only 24,000 miles on her the engine was in good shape, but we completely disassembled the 300 In Line 6, checked all tolerances, and reassembled with all new seals, gaskets, hoses, and belts. The Cap, Rotor, Points, Condenser, Spark Plugs, and Wires were also replaced, as well as the carburetor rebuilt.Eastern Surplus is now beginning paint and assembly, I have attached some photos for everyone to review. They are keeping a list of parts used, which I will gladly share with the group to assist anyone with repairing or upgrading their 211/135.The completion date is set for 5/1/2018, I could have had it done sooner but with living in PA there was no sense in having it delivered during the winter, and my plan is to still drive it home from Philadelphia to my home in the Pittsburgh area, about 325 miles.Will keep the group posted as we come down the final stretch on this restoration. Forrest

M211 Cab.jpgM211 Chasses (2).jpgM211 Chasses.jpgM211 Engine Teardown.jpgM211 Engine.jpgM211 Transmission.jpgM211 Winch.jpg

Forrest XM211

Hello fellow 211 enthusiasts, the final coat of paint has been applied to my XM211 and now I am in need of applying the front & rear bumper markings. My father was stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX, and I am requesting any assistance with regard to the markings. His papers are marked with 9940 TSU-SGO HQ DET MFSS BAMC. He was then in the reserves as follows: Med Co 314 Inf 79th Div. He was trained as a field medic but never deployed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Forrest XM211

Forrest XM211

Hello Everyone, it has been awhile but I am glad to report that the complete "nut & bolt" restoration of GMC XM211 #2597 is complete after 3 years. Eastern Surplus of Philadelphia PA did an outstanding job. I just came back from a final inspection, operational overview, and test drive. My dad was a Korean War veteran, and as a tribute to him I stenciled the bumpers with his last unit assignment, the 9940th Tactical Support Unit - Headquarters.

A few questions I have for the group:
1) What octane fuel do you use (87, 89, 91, etc.)?
2) Do you use a Lead Additive in the fuel?

Thank you for your time.......Forrest XM211

GMC XM211 Completed.jpg

USMC 00-08

Your truck looks very nice!!

I use 87 octane with no ethanol. I've not use a lead additive, but maybe I should. Hopefully someone else can tell us what we should do on that part.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful truck! I will never use fuel with ethanol in one of these trucks again. It has caused me a lot of problems in the humid Wisconsin summer. I suspect the problem compounds with less than a full tank of fuel and the fact it is not a closed to the atmosphere like new vehicles. I'll continue to burn the cheap fuel in my car.
How about more pictures?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks