• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM211 New Owner - any operational, PM, or spare part recommendations (or for sale)

Forrest XM211

Hello Everyone, I am new to the antique MV world, and decided to restore a 1952 XM211 as my father was a Korean War veteran, and these are rarely seen. It is currently at Eastern Surplus for all of the large work I cannot do myself (complete brake rebuild, transmission overhaul, rewiring, etc.), and a new paint job. With that being said, any operational, driving, PM, or spare part recommendations (or parts for sale) from the group? I have read many older posts and other internet material on the 211/135 MVs and downloaded the manuals that have been posted as well. I am not opposed to doing upgrades to her from a safety or reliability standpoint, as long as it does not alter the outward appearance. She will be used for car cruise nights, shows, and parades. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide, or any spare parts you may have to sell.

USMC 00-08

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your truck.

Some good spare parts to keep on hand are probably points, condenser, rotor and distributor cap. I'm sure some others will chime in with things they keep on hand as well.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here is a parts list several of us have put together of readily available parts for these trucks. We are adding to it all the time, so if you have any part numbers to share with us, we would appreciate it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137722-G749-Parts-List

I hope this helps you out.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for saving an Early Deuce and welcome to the sweet, snappy, sultry sounds of the G749. I'm in my 5th year of wheeling Goose, the M135, to a ton of various events and if you can enjoy the maintenance that comes with a 60 year old, 12,000lb truck, you're in for a sore jaw from smiling. I hired mechanics to do most of the brake, steering, electrical work on mine but had the opportunity to do a lot of the work myself with a mechanic/ mentor over my shoulder. Hopefully you get that experience with yours because they demand a bit of attention with Preventative Maintenance. PM's

Brakes

The G749 is quick for a big truck. The only real upgrade that it needs is a dual circuit brake system. Even though we touched every piece of Goose's brake system, I still drive it like it weighs 100,000lbs. I always touch the brake pedal long before I need to stop and time every light so I don't need to pile on brakes at the last minute. Situational awareness must be high. New Crush Washers are best when working on brakes. If you replace every line and test the brakes for leaks then the situational awareness can drop a bit however it's still a single circuit brake system and daily inspection is required.
The Emergency/Parking brake on mine works slick and it's set up to hold the truck when I throw it in drive. The truck gears down nicely by itself and in an emergency the E/P brake will slow it down..... a little. Check the E/P drum for cracks every run because the story is, they can detonate which could take out the brake lines all in one big bang.

First Spare parts you benefit from is an E/P brake drum and all the parts to replace wheel cylinders including spare seals for the hubs. If you're lucky, you might even get to replace wheel cylinders in the first year. Spare brake pads for the wheels and E/P brake will also be needed at some point. A spare air-pak and/or 'air pak kit' with new replacement parts is a bonus.
Even though my brake system shows no signs of leaks, I still check the Master Cylinder fluid level and E/P brake drum every run. PM's.

Steering

I replaced the drag-ink on mine and found some spare tie-rod ends when I need them. When Eastern checks the tolerance on your steering and replaces all worn parts, you probably won't need to think about it unless you're running Moose over on a daily bases. I check the cotter-pins in the steering on every run and keep it greased. PM's

Transmission

Spare transmissions are handy.

Engine

She screams a bit and is loud when you punch her. The 302 runs from low rpm to high rpm on every shift. Some of the boys add foam inside the cab but I kinda like the old rattle and hum sound the truck makes.
View attachment 636792View attachment 636793

I've replaced condensers, capacitors, points, coil, spark-plugs, a few spark plug wires (complete distributor caps) and starters to keep Goose moving. Oil filters on the shelf are also handy. We've set the valves 3 times in 5 years so extra valve cover gaskets will be needed. Spare fan belts, water-pumps(repair kits), thermostats, fuel pumps, carbs, engine kits could be added to the shelf.

Tires

The M211 usually runs on 9:00 - 20 tires. We should find out if you can fit 11:00 - 20's under it because that will give you a bit more speed and be easier on the 302.
I'm 5 years with about 30% wear on a set of new tires so.....sooner or later it's good to have spare rubber. $50.00 / tire is a good price. Having a handy tire-shop with the correct gear to safely inflate/ monitor and change tires is a good thing. Changing a flat tire on the side if the road can be done with the right tools, strong back...but it's much easier to employ the tire pro youth that also need a job.

Differential,

It's good to have spare pinion seals in addition to bags of the various Crush Washers on the shelf. There are a few different sizes, from the diff plugs (6), the entire brake system, top of fuel tank, front diff, any place with fluid. I'm told they should be replaced however some guys are able to make the old ones work again. The new ones should always go on the brake system
There are inner seals in the front diff. They seem to leak if the truck sits so if it's parked over winter, set it up on some serious stands and run it once in a while. Several sets of hub seals...as mentioned in Brakes.....are handy for yearly inspections when they can't be saved.

What did I miss?

Forrest XM211

Thank you everyone for the information and encouragement. Thankfully we started with a very clean (body wise) 1952 XM211 w/winch, which also mechanically does run OK. It will be early spring until this project is finished, but below is a current "beginning" photo. Will post restoration and after photos as we progress over the next 9 months. Thank you.
DSC05777.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

restlessrobie

Welcome to the world of Steel Soldiers those of us with the M211's have been working hard with USMC 00-08 and have a good list of parts going be sure to add any parts you find and enjoy your truck :)

The XM211 was from what I can gather the prototype designation of the M211

Just picked up a 1954 myself and have been working on the old girl in my spare time. I am a GM Tech so I prefer to do the work myself if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Forrest XM211

Thank you Erik, yes the "X" on the XM211 stood for "Experimental" from what I can gather on the Internet, and it seems that the earlier M211 numbered ones were the XM211 models as I noticed that while shopping around for one (not that there were many good candidates to choose from! LOL). The lower serial numbered ones seem to always be XM211, while the higher serial numbered ones seemed to be M211, but again I only found 2 or 3 of each to be viable for purchase at this time. Thank you for the support, I may need to contact you once we get her home and I do my own PM.

SturmTyger380

From what I understand from the history of the GMC M135 / M211 after WWII the Military was looking for a replacement for the GMC CCKW. But the Military awarded the contract to the REO company for their M34 truck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2½-ton_cargo_truck

This upset GMC as they felt like they were certain to get the continuation of the Military contacts due to the success of the CCKW. So GM took it upon them selves to build the GM M135 / M211 factory and truck production.

I am sure there was a lot of politics involved around it but the Military allowed the usage of the M135 / M211 as Experimental vehicles while they were being approved. Hence the 'X'.

Then Korea and the Cold War happened and the increased need for trucks. The M34 became the M35 which then grew into the M35A1, M35A2 and M35A3. And at the same time the Military approved the use of the M211 removing the 'X'.

Alan

Forrest XM211

A few more pics for everyone for our "starting point", she will be painted the darker Forest Green color with Army markings, and also a cargo cover when completed.
F. Nace Misc Exterior (1).jpgF. Nace Misc Exterior (2).jpgF. Nace Misc Exterior (3).jpgF. Nace Misc Exterior (7).jpgF. Nace Misc Exterior (10).jpg

USMC 00-08

Is Eastern Surplus doing your transmission overhaul? If not, could you find out who is doing it and and an estimate on getting one done?

I would be interested in knowing where to have it done and what the cost would be. I have not been able to find anyone that works on these transmissions still.

Forrest XM211

So far Eastern Surplus has gotten mine to shift "OK" so I may not need a full rebuild (just a good "tune up"), but they said the shop they use for transmission rebuilds would do the Hydromatic if needed. If you call them ask for Doug as he is the project manager for my XM211. Additionally, I spoke to the following companies just a few weeks ago during my research of these vehicles knowing the transmission was the weak link with little support these days. Hope this helps. If I do have Eastern Surplus do a full rebuild I will let you know the cost, I expect between $3000-$4000.

Transmissions by Gene (www.restorationhydramatics.com) - I spoke to Gene, he has done them for people with M24 Chaffee tanks as they basically used the same transmission(?), price for a complete rebuild is $3985.00 + shipping to & from.

FATSCO (www.fatsco.net) - they have 3 types of Hydramatic rebuild kits available and one for the gear reduction unit under "Hydramatic - Military Truck", I spoke to Junior at x105, the only missing part is the Extension Housing Gasket so save the old one to use as a pattern to make a new one from gasket material.

1944mb

Transmissions by Gene (www.restorationhydramatics.com) - I spoke to Gene, he has done them for people with M24 Chaffee tanks as they basically used the same transmission(?), price for a complete rebuild is $3985.00 + shipping to & from.

FATSCO (www.fatsco.net) - they have 3 types of Hydramatic rebuild kits available and one for the gear reduction unit under "Hydramatic - Military Truck", I spoke to Junior at x105, the only missing part is the Extension Housing Gasket so save the old one to use as a pattern to make a new one from gasket material.[/QUOTE]

Holy smokes, that seems pretty spendy $3985! Don;t really have anything to compare to other than a local rebuilder I have used for a bunch of trannys told me to budget $2000-2500 if I need to have one done. This rebuilder I know is pretty much awesome.

Fastco seemed like they really knew what they were doing. Can't remember who I spoke to, but he had torn them down personally. he didn't have the reduction unit gasket and I think a few other parts in the reduction unit when I called(cuase nothing else but this series of truck used it as I understand-dont know about tanks), but maybe the fellow you spoke to knew more where stuff was stashed. I would love to tear one down to see. I've rebuilt a few autos myself(Ford FMX's, C6+turbo hydramatic 350+400). These would be much older, but would love to get the shot at one. I wouldn't be crazy about having to pay for it though(although the cost of it really isn't bad for the master kit). I'm gonna picking up a 211 this next week. Knowing my luck, I've now condemned it to having a bad tranny....

M275Fan

Welcome aboard Forrest. Where did you happen to find this truck? It looks to be surprisingly like one that I had a lead on recently. Nice clean 52. I didn't have money to get it though. Timing is close enough that I believe this is the same truck.

Forrest XM211

With regard to my transmission, unless you let the truck idle for 15-20 minutes to warm everything up it would slip a lot, and a pickup truck had to be used to get it up on the flatbed due to the steepness of the ramps as it was slipping badly.

Forrest XM211

I saw this XM211 advertised on armyjeeps.net about 6 weeks ago, it had been a Florida truck its whole life, thus the very clean body, and mileage was 24,000 with mostly all original items.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks