• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on a M105a2 frame and wheels

04mustang

I have a M105a2 frame with a s788 shelter mounted on top. My concern is that the wheels on the trailer are too close together and will cause a rollover.
I need to get more space in-between the wheels of the trailer. I have considered flipping the rims on the trailer, as well as making them duals with another set of rims, but they will be wider than the shelter at that point.
And I plan to tow this with my pickup primarily.

I have looked at the m35a3 rims and think that would be a good route based on the design of the rim and the wider tires. The only thing with going that route is that I will add 3" more of taller tires, 1.5" height in trailer frame, which I think will be ok. I just don't think it would be a great idea to go up to 395 type tires because then I'm looking at 3" or more of increase in trailer frame height.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

jbayer

The M35A3 used 12.5" x 20" tires, which I think are 42" tall. That only adds 1" additional trailer height over A 9.00" x 20", which is 40". I don't know the availability of that tire size, though.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe use the m1061 / bolster trailer 16.5 rims that are lower/wider profile and bring the height down? They are the same bolt pattern.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year I had a 500 gallon water bladder on my m105 and I flipped it on it side when at 5-10 mph I hit a rut/hole in a mud road. The water bladder rolled a little and that was enough to flip it on it's side.

No foul, no harm. Just dragged trailer maybe a foot as I saw it in slow motion in my mirror. Bent the staves on one side. One new side and all forgotten now.

I now move the water bladder with a xm1073 7 1/2 ton flat bed :)

rustystud

That's an interesting idea of adding duals to the M105. Can it be done legally ? I mean would it be over width ? I too have seen M105 trailers roll over just like "juanprado's" did. With the wider stance that might take that problem away and give you more weight capability also. All you would have to do is add a little metal to the fenders to cover the tires.
Has anyone done this before ?

04mustang

Those are some awesome looking setups!
I just bought 2 M1061 rims on epay. I will be getting a set of goodyear MT tires for a hmmwv and mounting them on the rims. I will have plenty of photos when I get this done.
Also check out the build thread (and electrical issues I have encountered) in the auxiliary equipment section: S788 shortened shelter meets MEP-017a

Capehenery

20160718_132117342_iOS.jpgI'm working on a similar project. One of my thoughts is to add stabilizers to the frame. In addition to the narrow width the suspension has a lot of movement in it. I have a second set of tires I plan to try once I get some proper deuce lug nuts. I am also considering 395s since I am not worried about it being to high for the truck.

rustystud

That's an interesting idea of adding duals to the M105. Can it be done legally ? I mean would it be over width ? I too have seen M105 trailers roll over just like "juanprado's" did. With the wider stance that might take that problem away and give you more weight capability also. All you would have to do is add a little metal to the fenders to cover the tires.
Has anyone done this before ?
Has anyone added dual tires to a M105 trailer ?

04mustang

Has anyone added dual tires to a M105 trailer ?
I've seen a photo of this done. It really should be the same width as the deuce, I would think. Just measure the distance between the 105 wheels and the rear duals on a deuce. the you'll know for sure.

As for me, I have opted to go with rims from a M1061 trailer and mount hmmwv tires on those rims. But my requirements were different than most people as I am building a custom trailer that doesn't retain the 105 bed. (P.s. if someone is looking for a 105 bed let me know, it would be cheap)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was done in the sandbox as a field mod but then not recommended as there were problems with trailers being vastly overloaded and wheel bearing/hub failures.

The same exact set up is used on m200 gen set trailers. I researched the hub and wheel bearing numbers and they were the same.

I was going to dual my m105 and have new fender metal added but then picked up a reasonable xm1073.

To dual all that is needed is 6R & 6L thimbles and outer nuts. Remove existing nut and replace with thimble, dish/flip new rim to thimbles, install outer nut. That easy.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M35A3 used 12.5" x 20" tires, which I think are 42" tall. That only adds 1" additional trailer height over A 9.00" x 20", which is 40". I don't know the availability of that tire size, though.
I've never heard of "12.5 x 20" tires. Did you mean 14.5? Because the M35A3, stock, used 14.5R20 radial tires that are ~43" tall vs the 9.00-20 NDT's that are about 40.5" tall. Though correct, they do only add 1-1.5" of ride height.

The following figure I found here on Steel Soldiers and it is oft referenced.
2014-09-18 11.50.34.jpg

Those are some awesome looking setups!
I just bought 2 M1061 rims on epay. I will be getting a set of goodyear MT tires for a hmmwv and mounting them on the rims. I will have plenty of photos when I get this done.
Also check out the build thread (and electrical issues I have encountered) in the auxiliary equipment section: S788 shortened shelter meets MEP-017a
I'd highly suggest a 3rd so you can carry a spare for that trailer. Normally, the deuce towing the M105 would have a spare tire for both the truck and trailer. I put Goodyear 11.00-20 G177's on my truck and trailer - not that they'll help with a roll-over problem - but that the spare tire on my M35A2 is also a spare for the truck and trailer again.

Pics from the net.
Wow, I concur with rosco, the 3rd pictured trailer with the added and tapered fender looks way cool! That makes me want to do that on my M105! oh boy... :p

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks