• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque multiplier....I won't leave home without it.

rustystud

What was it....let me see.....right side......righty tighty.....left side.....righty lossie......or something light that.....I forgot

I haven't done that in 25 years but still have all my tire tools & irons....
On the deuce just remember " tighten to the front-loosen to the rear" . So on the drivers side you will tighten the nuts by going counter-clockwise or towards the front of the truck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
What I use,
In the beginning it took 10 feet of heavy pipe on the Ken tool.

lug nut PS magazine GearedLugWrenchArticlePSMag.jpg
buds 1.jpgIMG_0491.jpgken tool_3.jpgken tool Porkchop wrench.jpglug nut PS magazine GearedLugWrenchArticlePSMag.jpgken tool wrench%20break.jpg

Now I built air storage tanks to dump all at once into a 3/4" hose to run the big impact.
photo 8.jpg
works OK for at home but need the Ken Tool on the road.
TM says to replace the thimbles, I found many worthless, stripped, stretched, + worn out. Seems the lug nuts are stronger (better metallurgy?) than the thimbles but perhaps that is by design.

I find this enlightening
http://fleetowner.com/equipment/tiretracks/fleet_debunking_myth

thimble.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

What I use,
In the beginning it took 10 feet of heavy pipe on the Ken tool.

View attachment 651416
View attachment 651417View attachment 651418View attachment 651419View attachment 651420View attachment 651416View attachment 651421

Now I built air storage tanks to dump all at once into a 3/4" hose to run the big impact.
View attachment 651422
works OK for at home but need the Ken Tool on the road.
TM says to replace the thimbles, I found many worthless, stripped, stretched, + worn out. Seems the lug nuts are stronger (better metallurgy?) than the thimbles but perhaps that is by design.

I find this enlightening
http://fleetowner.com/equipment/tiretracks/fleet_debunking_myth

View attachment 651424

The problems with that "Myth debunker" is one, he is just a fleet owner not a manufacturer and second it came out in 2006. Now in 2016 we have companies like "Merritor" saying to "use" anti-seize on the stud threads. At the transit agency I work at (or actually just retired from) we are told to use anti-seize since the lug nuts will seize and not because they are worn out. Any time you are torqueing something to 500 ft Ibs it can gall threads which all heavy duty mechanics know full well. So do the manufactures. Since the transit agency is the 8th largest in the country and responsible for over 1800 busses and an average of 395,000 lives daily you can be assured they are going to be doing what the manufacturer is recommending just for the liability factor.

Last edited:

rustystud

Jakob1944

They actually forced me out ! Said I was to old and busted-up to work anymore ! What I think it really was is they can hire some young bucks for about half the pay and vacation time. Well at least that gives me more time to play with my toys !
I hear ye......I'm all used up myself......shot, fragged, concussion and tossed out on the ground.....Dom Rep, the Nam and Israel.....I'm 72 and still like looking at skirts.....

rustystud

I forgot to mention something else the writer said in that debunker article. He said by using anti-seize you would be able to use "bad" lug nuts longer ! After thinking about that today I realized how full of it he was. If the nuts and thimbles can handle the torque then they are perfectly functional. If they start to "give" (stretch) when your torqueing them then they are bad and anyone who is torqueing them will feel that happen. If any bolt or nut is able to go to full torque then it will hold. Also if using anti-seize was such a bad idea then the DOT would be all over that like stink on sh!t ! Excuse my French.
They already regulate the crap out of the trucking industry and if this actually caused problems then they would be all over this too. People need to start thinking for themselves about what they read on the internet. I'm not getting on your case here Frank, I'm just making a broad statement about what people read on the internet without stopping and actually thinking about what they just read. Anyone with an internet connection can post whatever garbage they want and say it's true. (That's why I try and actually post things from the manufacture when I can.) This election is a prime example of things being said on the internet that are actual lies. The truck and auto industry has had it's share of "snake oil" salesmen over the years and it just gets me angry to see people post things that they really don't know anything about. That is also why I got my Master "NIASE" Certification (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence) or today it's just the "ASE" certifications. I had hoped it would spread over all the industry to get rid of people who say their mechanics but really just rob and hurt people. For too long mechanics have had a reputation of being liars and crooks and thankfully that is not totally true anymore. I have taken great pride in my trade so when I still see people lie and cheat and steal from others it really angers me ! A lot of this stuff now on the internet is just more of the same lies. So when I see misinformation out there being presented as the "truth" it gets me really upset.
Sorry for the rant here. We can get back to our "regular scheduled programming" now.
:rant:

rustystud

I hear ye......I'm all used up myself......shot, fragged, concussion and tossed out on the ground.....Dom Rep, the Nam and Israel.....I'm 72 and still like looking at skirts.....
LOL !!! I was just talking on the phone with my best friend tonight who I have known since high-school and we both went to mechanic trade school together. Has talking about a friends kid who came into his service station yesterday. She is a beautiful women now and at first he didn't recognize her and when he did he said he felt like an dirty old man thinking thoughts like that ! I just tell people that I'm old not dead !
The worst ones are when their the "grandchildren" !

Jakob1944

LOL !!! I was just talking on the phone with my best friend tonight who I have known since high-school and we both went to mechanic trade school together. Has talking about a friends kid who came into his service station yesterday. She is a beautiful women now and at first he didn't recognize her and when he did he said he felt like an dirty old man thinking thoughts like that ! I just tell people that I'm old not dead !
The worst ones are when their the "grandchildren" !
Right....what do you say to a hot young chick......hello Grand Daughter

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now before I say anything else I just want you to know that I "LOVE" Milwaukee tools ! I have over 40 Milwaukee power tools ranging from my small 3/8" right angle drill to my 6" concrete drill/hammer. I have over 5 sawzalls ! From the all aluminum housing ones to the new 18Volt cordless Fuel model. I even have the Milwaukee Bore Scope. All that to say their impact hammers are not as strong as they report. Yes they will work on my car, but on my CUCV (M1028 ) it has trouble after the third wheel. There is no way at all that their 3/4" impact will take off the lugs of my deuce ! My air 3/4" Ingersol Rand has trouble at times ! So I don't carry one on my truck. I do carry the "gear wrench" and the standard 1-1/2" lug wrench along with a 5 foot cheater bar. Recently I bought a military 600 ft Ibs gear reduction unit that will go on my truck. I also plan on buying a 4:1 gear reduction Multiplier. It has 1/2" input and 3/4" output. It can handle 2000 ft Ibs of torque. We had these at work (transit department) to tighten the differential pinion nuts. Some of those need 1400 ft Ibs.
But the Milwaukee cordless Impact has no place on my Deuce.
Are we all on the same page here ? I'm talking about the 1/2" drive Milwaukee M18 Impact tool. It is not capable of 1200 ft Ibs of torque.
"Same page" you said 3/4 the first time will not do the job. After switching from one inch air at the shop or carrying a truck four way with cheater pipe when in motion I now love my 3/4 Milwaukee. I don't leave Houma without it.

davidb56

I just changed my front wheels today and the passenger boot. I use a 1/2 drive Impact with a 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor on my 1 1/2 inch socket. The key is that my small 20 gallon compressor is a 175psi one. You can get them in the old 120psi, 150, and 175 psi. I paid under 200$ at Home Depot. I had the regulator set at 100lbs for a subaru axel nut removal earlier, and had to crank it up to 175 to get the Deuce lug nuts off.

rustystud

"Same page" you said 3/4 the first time will not do the job. After switching from one inch air at the shop or carrying a truck four way with cheater pipe when in motion I now love my 3/4 Milwaukee. I don't leave Houma without it.
So now your going back years to try and discredit me Floridianson ? Well if you really read what I said, You need to look at post #8 . He was clearly referring to the Milwaukee #2763-22 1/2" impact wrench. So from then on I was referring to that 1/2" impact wrench. Then in post #18 "swbradley1" referred to his friends impact which turns out to be a 3/4" impact. Post #19, which your quoting was in answer to that one. Your trying to cause confusion here Floridianson. Why ?

I said it before and I'll say it again. The original 3/4 Milwaukee 18 volt impact will not remove a deuce lug nut that is stuck. Now the "new" FUEL Milwaukee will remove a deuce lug nut but not one that is really stuck on. I know as I now own the 1/2" and 3/4" Heavy duty "Fuel" Milwaukee impact wrenches. I tried out the "new" 3/4" impact when I first got it on my M105 trailers Lug Nuts. It took off half of them. The rest needed my 1" air Impact. These are the same Lug Nuts as the deuce.

Floridianson you took my comments totally out of context, and by posting them the way you did your trying to make me out to be an idiot. Any one who reads the whole post will see that, but you know most won't. I suppose I could go and reread all your old posts and repost them. That would make some good reading for the masses here, making you out to be an idiot too, but would that be the truth ?

I'm wondering what I said to piss you off though. This is about the fifth post where you've gone out of your way to attack me. Here I thought we where getting along so well these last few years.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry post # 5 showed the M18 fuel and then your post's so I believed that tool was the one in question. I love my M18 fuel 3/4 impact and the 1/2 drive tool. I have not touched a breaker bar or cheater pipe since I got it. Was just wanting people to know if you use / do a lot of tire work this is the tool to have. Back when I had the energy I would have said for 500 bucks I will use my truck four way and cheater pipe before I spend that kind of money. Now I see it was worth the investment not only for tire work but just about anything and I don't even break a sweat or raised heart beat.
A for digging up old threads sometimes it happens in a search and pay no attention to the date. Was a good old thread and learned a lot plus gave me insight to a problem. Here is one from 2011 and a OP just added to it today. Heck I sent SS some bucks because of and old thread then saw the date the thread was started. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?74130-M809-Series-Tachometer-cable-help-needed

Last edited:

rustystud

Sorry post # 5 showed the M18 fuel and then your post's so I believed that tool was the one in question. I love my M18 fuel 3/4 impact and the 1/2 drive tool. I have not touched a breaker bar or cheater pipe since I got it. Was just wanting people to know if you use / do a lot of tire work this is the tool to have. Back when I had the energy I would have said for 500 bucks I will use my truck four way and cheater pipe before I spend that kind of money. Now I see it was worth the investment not only for tire work but just about anything and I don't even break a sweat or raised heart beat.
A for digging up old threads sometimes it happens in a search and pay no attention to the date. Was a good old thread and learned a lot plus gave me insight to a problem. Here is one from 2011 and a OP just added to it today. Heck I sent SS some bucks because of and old thread then saw the date the thread was started. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?74130-M809-Series-Tachometer-cable-help-needed
OK. Sorry if I read anything into this post that you didn't mean. I'm so used to people going after me for something I said I guess I go into attack mode automatically anymore.
I do love my new Milwaukee 3/4" impact, and plan on carrying it with me on my trip. It just is not as powerful as some think it is. I had a Semi-truck out here a little while ago who got a flat out in the yard. I helped him change out his tire. First off I got my Milwaukee 3/4" impact out because I didn't want to drag out a air hose 150 feet to his truck. I was able to take off two lug nuts (not near each other) then that was it. I still ended up with the air hose and my big impact gun out there. People don't seem to understand that lug nuts can get seriously stuck on and they need serious power to remove them. I'm sure I was putting out the full 2000 ft of torque my 1" impact can deliver in reverse on some of those nuts ! No battery operated impact is going to touch those lug nuts ! Of course the guy who originally installed those wheels used a 1" impact to install them and didn't use a torque wrench to make sure they where at the proper torque ! Just rattled them one until they where tight ! Then after a few years and add some rust and you got a mess on your hands !
Anyway, take care "Floridianson" .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks