• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque multiplier....I won't leave home without it.

SoylentGreen

Had the 11.00's put on years ago at a heavy truck shop, no doubt with heavy tools. Have been trying to loosen the lug nuts for a while but they wouldn't budge. Geared lug wrench with a cheater bar didn't work, 3/4" impact gun didn't work. Got a Homcom heavy duty torque multiplier (yeah, it's Chinese) from Sears for 50 bucks. In 10 minutes all lug nuts (on one wheel) were loose. This thing goes were I go.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I got mine on line from Wall Mart, free shipping for $47.95, soldier B in a box!
tourk.jpeg

Last edited:

TsgtB

I have the yellow one, 1:78 or something crazy. It works great, but after putting on the MRAP wheels and adapters, it's useless, the foot is too big to fit in the wheel recess.

V8srfun

I think that torque multiplier just may be my next tool purchase.

I have the 3/8 drive Milwaukee fuel from when I worked at the car dealership it was literally my right hand. I can not say enough about Milwaukee quality they are the best electric tools no other brand even comes close not even snap on or dealt.

rustystud

I went with one of these & a set of torque sticks. 1100 ft-lbs loosening, 100 or 750 tightening, depending on the mode you choose.
View attachment 637613
I got a couple of 5A batteries and the vehicle charger, so I can run it indefinitely. I only have a CUCV, but surely this is enough torque for the bigger trucks too, right?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-22
Now before I say anything else I just want you to know that I "LOVE" Milwaukee tools ! I have over 40 Milwaukee power tools ranging from my small 3/8" right angle drill to my 6" concrete drill/hammer. I have over 5 sawzalls ! From the all aluminum housing ones to the new 18Volt cordless Fuel model. I even have the Milwaukee Bore Scope. All that to say their impact hammers are not as strong as they report. Yes they will work on my car, but on my CUCV (M1028 ) it has trouble after the third wheel. There is no way at all that their 3/4" impact will take off the lugs of my deuce ! My air 3/4" Ingersol Rand has trouble at times ! So I don't carry one on my truck. I do carry the "gear wrench" and the standard 1-1/2" lug wrench along with a 5 foot cheater bar. Recently I bought a military 600 ft Ibs gear reduction unit that will go on my truck. I also plan on buying a 4:1 gear reduction Multiplier. It has 1/2" input and 3/4" output. It can handle 2000 ft Ibs of torque. We had these at work (transit department) to tighten the differential pinion nuts. Some of those need 1400 ft Ibs.
But the Milwaukee cordless Impact has no place on my Deuce.

Last edited:

bspellerin

I beg to differ, I removed all 10 9.00 X 20's and installed 10 G177's with the M18, it's badass! I won't drive my deuce without it.

However; I haul my torque multiplier too.

rustystud

I beg to differ, I removed all 10 9.00 X 20's and installed 10 G177's with the M18, it's badass! I won't drive my deuce without it.

However; I haul my torque multiplier too.
You must have replaced them before and lubed the studs. How many batteries did you go through ? Also after you installed the new tires you did check the torque with a proper torque wrench right ? And I'm betting they were no where near the proper torque.

Last edited:

rustystud

After being unprepared to change a blown tire at Haspin last fall, this lives in my side box now.

http://m.harborfreight.com/1-in-professional-air-impact-wrench-61616.html
I talked with the store manager of the Harbor Freight near me just last week. I needed one of those lifting platforms. He mentioned that they got one of the main engineers from Ingersol Rand to come to work for them a few years ago and these new impact wrenches are the result of that. They also just "poached" (his words) one of "Millers" engineers just this year and plan on making a whole new series of welders now. It will be interesting to see what happens.

bspellerin

You must have replaced them before and lubed the studs. Also after you installed the new tires you did check the torque with a proper torque wrench right ? And I'm betting they where no where near the proper torque.
It's very interesting how you know what I must have done or not done. To answer your questions, NO, I had not removed any of the nuts prior to the wheel swap and yes I did torque to the proper specs after using the M18.

Why are you so condescending, you are not the only mechanic on this site and 26 years as a marine engineer, I'm quite capable.

rustystud

It's very interesting how you know what I must have done or not done. To answer your questions, NO, I had not removed any of the nuts prior to the wheel swap and yes I did torque to the proper specs after using the M18.

Why are you so condescending, you are not the only mechanic on this site and 26 years as a marine engineer, I'm quite capable.
I'm not being condescending. I'm just stating facts about this impact wrench. Since I also own one and know it's capabilities. I don't want anyone to think they can just go out and buy one and it will handle their deuces tires. And yes I'm a Heavy duty truck mechanic and have been for the last 36 years now. That is a little different then an engineer. I actually get my hands dirty every day and know the capabilities of my tools. If you think I was being rude or condescending to you I'm sorry, as that was not my intention at all. I just want the factual information out there, not "speculation" about a tools ability. If we were to go down that road, well I once used a 1/2" drive socket on my 1" impact (2000 Ibs torque) to remove some 1" (thread diameter) suspension bolts and it worked just fine. So you too can use your 1/2" drive sockets with a 1" impact wrench. See what I mean ?
Oh, you never mentioned how many times you needed to charge the battery.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine on line from Wall Mart, free shipping for $47.95, soldier B in a box!
View attachment 637542
Tight lug nuts? - won't budge with the geared wrench? This is the unit I tell everyone about; no batteries required, no air required, no big $$ required, no sweat. I did disassemble mine, added better grease to it, and painted in OD green.

rustystud

View attachment 637542
Tight lug nuts? - won't budge with the geared wrench? This is the unit I tell everyone about; no batteries required, no air required, no big $$ required, no sweat. I did disassemble mine, added better grease to it, and painted in OD green.
Everybody and his dog is buying one of these units. I too bought one several years ago. The price back then was $160.00 though ! They are OK units but they are NOT commercial quality by a long shot. Just make sure that you never use a impact wrench on it and always take it easy when removing your lug nuts. Don't force it, the gears are not that strong. I took mine apart to check it out and it is very cheaply made. That's why the extension is hollow so it will crush before you hurt the unit. Just FYI .

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, JW4x4's 1,200ft lb Milwaukee FUEL M18 impact works fine on his M932A1. I want one and the next time he works on his truck in my barn he better inventory his tools when he leaves. :)

That thing is freaking awesome with a capital A.

rustystud

Funny, JW4x4's 1,200ft lb Milwaukee FUEL M18 impact works fine on his M932A1. I want one and the next time he works on his truck in my barn he better inventory his tools when he leaves. :)

That thing is freaking awesome with a capital A.
Are we all on the same page here ? I'm talking about the 1/2" drive Milwaukee M18 Impact tool. It is not capable of 1200 ft Ibs of torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks