• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque multiplier....I won't leave home without it.

cilverhawk

1/2" Milwaukee works for me too! Has to be fully charged battery though.
Also have torque multiplier previously mentioned.
one interesting multiplier I would like to check out is called "the ratchet helper" use your own 1/2" ratchet or torque wrench an its a 5x multiplier or flip it and it turns 5x faster than your ratchet. only good to #650.

Last edited:

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

I got myself both the Ken-Tool:

And a 1:110 ratio Geared lug Wrench:

The geared wrench is a must have.

Aussie.
Remember those "Geared Lug Wrenches" are not that strong and are not for commercial use. I bought one when they first came out. Payed $150.00 for it ! Now you can buy them for $50.00 . I took mine apart to see how it was made and it is really cheap quality. It will do the job just be careful using it and "Never" use an impact wrench on it ! It will break so fast your head will spin !

rustystud

1/2" Milwaukee works for me too! Has to be fully charged battery though.
Also have torque multiplier previously mentioned.
one interesting multiplier I would like to check out is called "the ratchet helper" use your own 1/2" ratchet or torque wrench an its a 5x multiplier or flip it and it turns 5x faster than your ratchet. only good to #650.
I just checked this "Ratchet Helper" out. It is only good for 500ft Ibs and made out of aluminum. You can not use an impact gun or even an electric gun on this unit, as it will not handle that kind of torque. I would stay away from any multiplier that is made from aluminum or cast-iron.

Last edited:
You guys are funny! All you need to remove the lug nuts on a deuce or a 5-ton is a simple long one inch breaker bar. If the lug nuts don't come off then hit the gym for a week and try again.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

It's gonna be a great choice, better to have it and not need it than be stranded out in the middle of nowhere with those wheel nuts you can't move with your standard tools.
;)

Aussie.

rustystud

You guys are funny! All you need to remove the lug nuts on a deuce or a 5-ton is a simple long one inch breaker bar. If the lug nuts don't come off then hit the gym for a week and try again.
Then you never had a lug nut that took over 1000 ft Ibs to break free. I have had several do that. Nothing funny about that I can assure you. That is also why I have taken off all my lug nuts and cleaned the threads and reinstalled them all with "Anti-seize" .
Also a standard 1" breaker bar is only 36" long. Now my 750 ft ibs torque wrench is 5 ft long and I need to push hard to get to the 500 ft Ibs needed for the lug nuts on a 5 ton and I weigh over 250 Ibs. That's a lot of pushing. So your telling all of use that you can with a 3ft bar break free a lug nut that is torqued to 500 ft Ibs ? Not to mention one that is really stuck like to 1000 ft Ibs ? Then you must be Hercules reincarnated !

Last edited:

Jakob1944

Hold onto the fender and jump up and down on the breaker bar.......that's how I did it.....I'd put a block of wood or cinder block under the socket bar and rotate the tire to the wood block height, slide in the breaker and jump on it......sometimes the rig would slip and I'd wind up on my......I did that for years when I was hauling dirt.....

saddamsnightmare

October 26th, 2016.

Imagine what you could have done with my 1970's Sears geared 2-1/2 HP 1/2" drill on your torque multipler! This critter is the one where if it catches, you get your hands off the handles or it will break them...... I bought it for reasonable in the 1970's, and it is about 25 lbs of pure ugly drilling machine......;) Back when "Made in America" meant something!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hold onto the fender and jump up and down on the breaker bar.......that's how I did it.....I'd put a block of wood or cinder block under the socket bar and rotate the tire to the wood block height, slide in the breaker and jump on it......sometimes the rig would slip and I'd wind up on my......I did that for years when I was hauling dirt.....
AZMitch and I tried this method, with a cheater pipe and both of us standing on it. All we managed to do was break the GI lugwrench....

I'm a fan of the USGI geared lug wrenches.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you stand on one and it doesn't "let go", smack it with a hammer. Strike the socket like you are trying to drive it in towards the nut.

Bouncing on them is dangerous.

Jakob1944

What was it....let me see.....right side......righty tighty.....left side.....righty lossie......or something light that.....I forgot

I haven't done that in 25 years but still have all my tire tools & irons....

Last edited:
I've found that anti-seize seems to have a way of turning into locktite over the course of a few years. Not really sure why. I prefer to use a high soap base grease, or ARP assembly lube. Those seem to work better.

Last edited:
Then you never had a lug nut that took over 1000 ft Ibs to break free. I have had several do that. Nothing funny about that I can assure you. That is also why I have taken off all my lug nuts and cleaned the threads and reinstalled them all with "Anti-seize" .
Also a standard 1" breaker bar is only 36" long. Now my 750 ft ibs torque wrench is 5 ft long and I need to push hard to get to the 500 ft Ibs needed for the lug nuts on a 5 ton and I weigh over 250 Ibs. That's a lot of pushing. So your telling all of use that you can with a 3ft bar break free a lug nut that is torqued to 500 ft Ibs ? Not to mention one that is really stuck like to 1000 ft Ibs ? Then you must be Hercules reincarnated !
I ment for that last post to go here.

Still trying to figure out this interweb crap...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks